On this day...

Tooj

10 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

There was a vitriol in the ground in those days at games like that that largely dissipated later on under Ashley as standards dropped.

There was. And rewatching that Pompey game has brought back a lot of anger [emoji38]

Fuck me, Allardyce was dreadful. Couldn’t stand the bloke.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paully said:

The first is my favourite ever celebration and the second doesn’t get the credit it deserves - unreal touch, pace and finish! 

i'm sure it meant he was suspended for the next game though

Edited by huss9

On 04/12/2022 at 15:28, Colos Short and Curlies said:

didn’t Tino get stretchered off in that game as well or was that a different one?

Coventry was the game where he got carried around the field as if on a chariot - and rightly so. Not sure about Metz but sounds like the sort of thing Tino would do.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Coventry was the game where he got carried around the field as if on a chariot - and rightly so. Not sure about Metz but sounds like the sort of thing Tino would do.

Some performance.

People always forget that the club, the original one, Stanley FC founded in 1881. The 1892 is when the supposed merger between West End and East End happen. And the club only legally became Newcastle United in 1895.

The club’s true founding year is 1881.  There was a second name change in 1892.  Most clubs don’t take name changes as being their year of birth - in fact, I think we’re the only one which does.  Newcastle United is the same club as Newcastle East End, and Stanley.  

West End was dissolved before East End changed the name - East End simply took over the lease of SJP and picked up some of the better players from the extinct West End club.  There was no merger.

It’s an interesting counterfactual to wonder what might have happened if the owners of Chillingham Road stadium created a new club after East End buggered off.  It worked wonders for the owners of Anfield after Everton left their lease in 1892 …

Edited by TheBrownBottle

56 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

In terms of Assists Shola's record includes

Robert's first goal vs Spurs

Shearers record breaking goal

Cisse's wonder strike.

Not a bad resume!

Shearers thunderbastard V Everton.