James Tavernier joins Rangers

Skirge

He has surely benefited from playing over 50 full professional matches in his career already. Him being further away from the first team has been a help to his career whereas the likes of Vuckic, Ferguson, Sammy etc have been sitting on the fringes of the squad. Mind, he also seems less injury prone than the latter 3.

In my ideal world all 4 would currently (and for the rest of the season) be plying their trade in the upper echelons of the Championship.

Looks a great prospect. Tonnes of strength. Judging from yesterdays performance, he could easily knock Simpson out of the team. Not that it would take much like.

You shouldn't take one performance in isolation though, he was poor against Atromitos away.  He's a kid learning his trade and he needs looking after.  He's probably 12 months away from being considered a first team starter in the league.

When was the last time we had so many academy products with an honest chance of making it?

Sammy, Ferguson, Tavernier, Streete and Campbell all seem as if they are in with good chances.

Not counting Vuckic as he's not really a product of our academy. I know Tavernier came from Leeds but he's been here an awful long time.

We've always had academy products with an honest chance of making it. They rarely do though, so as always we'll be lucky if one or two of that crop are first team regulars in a few years time. In fairness that's the same as every other club. Even a club like Ajax, renowned for the talent they bring through, aim to introduce at least one youngster into their first team every year, and that's in a league that's much more forgiving than the Premiership.

We've always had academy products with an honest chance of making it. They rarely do though, so as always we'll be lucky if one or two of that crop are first team regulars in a few years time. In fairness that's the same as every other club. Even a club like Ajax, renowned for the talent they bring through, aim to introduce at least one youngster into their first team every year, and that's in a league that's much more forgiving than the Premiership.

I don't really rate these players in the same bracket as the Huntington/Edgar/O'Brien/Pattison/Ramage/Chopra generation that came through 5-6 years ago. They didn't have an honest chance, they were given a chance because Roeder used to manage them at youth level. The only one with any real ability was always Steven Taylor. Bradley Orr went on to be a Premiership player as well, but he was around a bit earlier I reckon. I don't recall us having this many players knocking on the first team door at the same time.

I like the way Wenger seems to throw one young lad into the deep end every season and everyone thinks a new star is born.

Wish we were in a position to do that.

I like the way Wenger seems to throw one young lad into the deep end every season and everyone thinks a new star is born.

Not really. That fullback from Charlton was largely derided as terrible last season. Aaron Ramsey too. Wenger really gives his youngsters a chance. Sometimes it doesn't work (see: Denilson) but the record is there for itself.

• 3 months later...

Don't rate him at all. A good athlete and little more.

Harsh - was by no means the worst on the pitch, and even the best would drown in the shit we put out. FFS we had Shola and then Williamson wearing the armband - it's no place for a kid to be proving his worth...

Guest bimpy474

Don't rate him at all. A good athlete and little more.

Harsh - was by no means the worst on the pitch, and even the best would drown in the shit we put out. FFS we had Shola and then Williamson wearing the armband - it's no place for a kid to be proving his worth...

Shame he isn't taller as i would rather see him in the team ahead of Williamson, i mean the kid can't make as many mistakes as Willo, its simply impossible to.

Not really. That fullback from Charlton was largely derided as terrible last season. Aaron Ramsey too. Wenger really gives his youngsters a chance. Sometimes it doesn't work (see: Denilson) but the record is there for itself.

Terrible enough to earn an England call up.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but he's going on out on loan too:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1359349?cc=5739

"We just have to keep trying to work with them and that's one of the reasons why they have gone out on loan, because they need to improve to get in the first team here. We have sent out the cream of our young players - Ferguson and Sammy (Ameobi) with Tavernier shortly - and we'll hope to see a reward for that next year."