James Tavernier joins Rangers

Skirge

Full Steam Ahead For Tav

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

James Tavernier believes his loan spell with Sheffield Wednesday has helped him improve as a player - and he's keen to show Alan Pardew just what he has learnt now that he's back on Tyneside.

He made eight appearances for the Owls before returning to Newcastle following Wednesday's 1-0 FA Cup third round victory over West Ham, and Alan Pardew has already noticed an extra spring in the step of the young full-back.

This week, Pardew said: "Tavernier has gone out from us into League One, done very, very well and looked sensational since he's come back in."

And, speaking exclusively to nufc.co.uk, the player admitted that he has benefitted from the temporary switch to Hillsborough and now hopes to continue to catch the eye of the Magpies manager.

"It went really well from my point of view," said the 20-year-old, who spent time with Carlisle earlier in the season having been farmed out to Gateshead last term.

"I wanted to go down there and start every game that I was down there for, which I did. It really helped me in my development and I really enjoyed it."

Wednesday kept five clean sheets in Tavernier's eight games, and didn't concede in his first three appearances for the Owls, as they continued to challenge for automatic promotion.

He said: "We kept clean sheets in the first few games, and that's what I like to see when I go into a team in defence.

"But I moved to right wing in the last four games and that was a new experience. I'm a defender, but I still enjoyed it.

"That's what the manager sees me as, and that's where I see myself; as a defender. And obviously I want to play where I'm going to be playing in the future, and the only way I'm going to develop and get better in that position is to actually play in that position.

"But I really enjoyed my time down there. Everyone was great to me, and I really appreciate it.

"They're fantastic fans down there. They're just like the Newcastle fans - really passionate and they get behind the team, so I enjoyed that."

Tavernier has made two first-team appearances for United - both in the Carling Cup - and was a regular on the bench towards the end of last season's Barclays Premier League campaign.

And he said: "It's good to be back here because the manager can see me now. I'm back in Newcastle and he'll be able see how much I've improved, so hopefully I can go on from there and see what happens."

Sounds like the experience he's gained from his loan spells has done him a lot of good. Don't think he's ready for the first team yet (think he's getting close though) - I would still like to see him get some experience at RB (another loan maybe?).

Cole was outstanding in the final third at Arsenal, he just had more of a restrictive role at Chelsea for the majority of it......

But this season he already has more than half a dozen assists......

But even if he were shit in the final third which he isnt id be delighted with a RB who is brilliant in defence, solid in possession.....

With Santon on the other side marauding forward we dont really need two flying fullbacks imo.....

If you look at all successful teams they all have one defensive full back and one attacking fullback.

Full Steam Ahead For Tav

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

James Tavernier believes his loan spell with Sheffield Wednesday has helped him improve as a player - and he's keen to show Alan Pardew just what he has learnt now that he's back on Tyneside.

He made eight appearances for the Owls before returning to Newcastle following Wednesday's 1-0 FA Cup third round victory over West Ham, and Alan Pardew has already noticed an extra spring in the step of the young full-back.

This week, Pardew said: "Tavernier has gone out from us into League One, done very, very well and looked sensational since he's come back in."

And, speaking exclusively to nufc.co.uk, the player admitted that he has benefitted from the temporary switch to Hillsborough and now hopes to continue to catch the eye of the Magpies manager.

"It went really well from my point of view," said the 20-year-old, who spent time with Carlisle earlier in the season having been farmed out to Gateshead last term.

"I wanted to go down there and start every game that I was down there for, which I did. It really helped me in my development and I really enjoyed it."

Wednesday kept five clean sheets in Tavernier's eight games, and didn't concede in his first three appearances for the Owls, as they continued to challenge for automatic promotion.

He said: "We kept clean sheets in the first few games, and that's what I like to see when I go into a team in defence.

"But I moved to right wing in the last four games and that was a new experience. I'm a defender, but I still enjoyed it.

"That's what the manager sees me as, and that's where I see myself; as a defender. And obviously I want to play where I'm going to be playing in the future, and the only way I'm going to develop and get better in that position is to actually play in that position.

"But I really enjoyed my time down there. Everyone was great to me, and I really appreciate it.

"They're fantastic fans down there. They're just like the Newcastle fans - really passionate and they get behind the team, so I enjoyed that."

Tavernier has made two first-team appearances for United - both in the Carling Cup - and was a regular on the bench towards the end of last season's Barclays Premier League campaign.

And he said: "It's good to be back here because the manager can see me now. I'm back in Newcastle and he'll be able see how much I've improved, so hopefully I can go on from there and see what happens."

Sounds like the experience he's gained from his loan spells has done him a lot of good. Don't think he's ready for the first team yet (think he's getting close though) - I would still like to see him get some experience at RB (another loan maybe?).

Yes - to Championship club - Barnsley or some such

Would be nice if we could get him a decent loan at a Championship club until the summer then hopefully he is ready to challenge Simpson.

Yeah, I hope so and if this happens, hopefully he'll be played at RB instead of RW.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mind that he's gone out on loan again but Sewelly summed it up here:

Bit annoying we didn't get him a Championship move.

Would have definitely preferred him going to a Championship club for the rest of the season like. Oh well, as long as Tav is played at RB!