John Carver

Guest neesy111

:lol: I seen to be the only one here who doesn't loathe him. Had no problems watching that.

I think he was completely out of line abusing the fans the way he did after the shambles that 2014 was. He deserved every bit of doubt and mistrust sent his way. He talks a big game, but has never actually achieved anything in football apart from be Sir Bobby's assistant many years ago. Many people rightly see him as part of the old boys club who are happy to steal a living from NUFC without actually providing much value.

The only upside of hearing his interviews is that I don't have to hear al pards mmm and aaaahhh, his incoherent English and his arrogant twang.

I agree that his behaviorist at the Southampton game was despicable and of course he shouldn't be our manager but the hatred towards him here is of Pardewesque proportions.

It's quite normal for him to be hated by association. I'm only hoping that deep down he knew al pards was shit and understood the mistakes he made, and despite his limited ability will try to put them right. Keeping Gouffran out of midfield would be a start. Let's see what he does when he has Aarons, De Jong and Abeid available.

I can't get my head around people saying we couldn't have got a good manager mid season. Many other clubs manage to do it.

Name this huge list please, mind you I agree with the notion we could have done. But it's very rare that a manager leaves one club in the middle of the season for another.

Spurs went with Sherwood for a reason, most clubs don't make permanent appointments in the middle of a season and if they do they get managers who are out of work.

Which is why we shouldn't have f***ed up with Garde, but please can we stop acting like it's a normal thing in a blind crusade against the club.

I don't want to sound like this, because I hate these assholes but at least try to be level headed for once.

Are you seriously suggesting it is uncommon for Premier League clubs to appoint an actual football manager midseason? Every season a significant number of PL managers gets sacked, resign or are poached, and most of the time these club waste no time finding a suitable replacement because they understand the importance of having an actual manager rather than a glorified coach/yes man. These appointments don’t always work out obviously, but there is absolutely no guarantee that waiting until the end of the season will work out better for us in the long run as Charnley would have you believe. That’s if you even believe that we have deferred the decision to appoint a new manager because we want to wait for our preferred candidates to become available in the summer, which I don’t.

What this whole charade is, is just Mike Ashley re-inventing the sport again as he did when he gave Pardew and his staff 8 year deals in the name of stability. It’s gambling that Carver has enough about him to keep us up, not just this season but over the course of a season. If he does, the job is his. The last thing Mike Ashley wants is a powerful manager who will put pressure on him to invest even what the club earns itself in a bid to move the club forward. If he can get away with not appointing a manager (“head coach”) at all, what makes you think he won’t?

I can't get my head around people saying we couldn't have got a good manager mid season. Many other clubs manage to do it.

Name this huge list please, mind you I agree with the notion we could have done. But it's very rare that a manager leaves one club in the middle of the season for another.

Spurs went with Sherwood for a reason, most clubs don't make permanent appointments in the middle of a season and if they do they get managers who are out of work.

Which is why we shouldn't have f***ed up with Garde, but please can we stop acting like it's a normal thing in a blind crusade against the club.

I don't want to sound like this, because I hate these assholes but at least try to be level headed for once.

Are you seriously suggesting it is uncommon for Premier League clubs to appoint an actual football manager midseason? Every season a significant number of PL managers gets sacked, resign or are poached, and most of the time these club waste no time finding a suitable replacement because they understand the importance of having an actual manager rather than a glorified coach/yes man. These appointments don’t always work out obviously, but there is absolutely no guarantee that waiting until the end of the season will work out better for us in the long run as Charnley would have you believe. That’s if you even believe that we have deferred the decision to appoint a new manager because we want to wait for our preferred candidates to become available in the summer, which I don’t.

What this whole charade is, is just Mike Ashley re-inventing the sport again as he did when he gave Pardew and his staff 8 year deals in the name of stability. It’s gambling that Carver has enough about him to keep us up, not just this season but over the course of a season. If he does, the job is his. The last thing Mike Ashley wants is a powerful manager who will put pressure on him to invest even what the club earns itself in a bid to move the club forward. If he can get away with not appointing a manager (“head coach”) at all, what makes you think he won’t?

Who are these great managers that have been brought-in mid-season over the past few years? Pochettino is really the only one who stands out. Maybe Garry Monk at a stretch. Doesn't make sense to include Benitez, because only at Chelsea would he have been considered the expensive stop gap that he was and only a few clubs would be able to attract him mid-season.

Carver's a disappointing hire and a cop out. But let's not act like we're alone in hiring underwhelming mid-season replacements. Most quality managers aren't going to make the jump mid-season. There's too much risk involved.

:lol: I seem to be the only one here who doesn't loathe him. Had no problems watching that.

:lol: it doesn't matter what comes out of his mouth from now on, it'll be met with nothing but pure disdain.

JC: "Been spending me Sunday afternoons reading to the sick bairns at the children's hospital."

N-O: "Aye, bet you have you f***ing paedo f***ing c*** charlatan. c***."

it`s hate by association now man, `this is the 2nd successive person in charge of the first team affairs that I hate so I`ll have to go back to hoping we lose till that situation improves`  :lol:

I watched it ... really get the feeling that he is going to get the job if he achieves top ten, or comes close.

The job is his.

If he doesn't relegate us he's "good enough"

If he does relegate us we'll be "unable" to find anyone willing to manage us in the Championship.

:lol: I seem to be the only one here who doesn't loathe him. Had no problems watching that.

I'm with you. He's absolutely not he right man for the job, but I'm happy to get behind him and the team for the remainder. I don't think he'll get the job full time but I'm not expecting any of the top coaches either.  I'm not really understanding some of the abuse he's getting but each to their own  :lol:

Who are these great managers that have been brought-in mid-season over the past few years? Pochettino is really the only one who stands out. Maybe Garry Monk at a stretch. Doesn't make sense to include Benitez, because only at Chelsea would he have been considered the expensive stop gap that he was and only a few clubs would be able to attract him mid-season.

Carver's a disappointing hire and a cop out. But let's not act like we're alone in hiring underwhelming mid-season replacements. Most quality managers aren't going to make the jump mid-season. There's too much risk involved.

Who mentioned "great" or "quality" managers? If you think we are getting one of those in the summer you are seriously deluded. There were good managers available. Remi Garde was keen by all accounts. Tuchel could perhaps have been convinced if we were willing to negotiate with Mainz too. Put it this way, how many clubs in the Premier League do you know who have gone half a season without a manager to save a few pounds? Defending the indefensible here imo, and incredibly naive if you cannot see where this is headed.

Who mentioned "great" or "quality" managers? If you think we are getting one of those in the summer you are seriously deluded. There were good managers available. Remi Garde was keen by all accounts. Tuchel could perhaps have been convinced if we were willing to negotiate with Mainz too. Put it this way, how many clubs in the Premier League do you know who have gone half a season without a manager to save a few pounds? Defending the indefensible here imo, and incredibly naive if you cannot see where this is headed.

Could do without the patronizing, considering you know exactly as much as I do. Your intuition certainly isn't worth enough to toss terms like "deluded" or "naive" at me. You have exactly as much chance of being proved incorrect as I do.

By all accounts, those managers also had reservations about taking the job now. Garde and Tuchel are both taking a sabbatical, that's been well-established numerous times. de Boer, Galtier, and McClaren are all doing well with their respective clubs. Taking a step back and appraising the situation objectively, would you leave a club in contention to join a mid-table Newcastle United in mid-season? If you're Garde or Tuchel and allegedly have your sights set on bigger things, why would you rush into a club where you're under pressure to produce results immediately with players you've never worked with? Why not wait until summer, when you can come in and have several months to get a feel for your squad before the season begins?

I don't like Carver being in the position any more than you do, but I've said in the past that I'll withstand a half-season of Carver if it means we get a good manager/head coach (semantics, btw) in the summer. And I'll take that over hiring a Tony Pulis or Tim Sherwood to step in immediately. I don't believe Carver will see us relegated nor do I believe the club sees him as a long-term candidate. And he doesn't nearly have the support, record, or contractual obligations that Pardew could wield against them.

If summer comes and they pull a 180 by giving Carver the full-time gig, well, shame on me. But I'm willing to let this play out until then.

Cue the "regime apologist" drivel.

What pressure to get results?! The fact there's none is why Carver has the job. The rest of this season would be far, far more valuable in terms of getting to know the players etc than five or six preseason friendlies.

What pressure to get results?! The fact there's none is why Carver has the job. The rest of this season would be far, far more valuable in terms of getting to know the players etc than five or six preseason friendlies.

I imagine the bar would be set higher for Garde or Tuchel than it is for Carver. Especially since they'd be paying them more. They don't expect Carver to do much more than keep the ship steady for now.

It's an unnecessary risk for guys who likely won't be short of (better) offers down the road.

Guest John Carvery

Carver only needs to beat a couple of shit teams to stave off relegation, come the summer garde and de boer will have been snapped up by someone else and we will end up with extra carver or curbishley.

'Why can't we win games and go on a run?'

Well you daft twat:

1) Our keeper situation is dire. 1st choice looks like he's being ruined by the cretin of a coach we are infested with. 2nd and 3rd choice aren't up to the standard. An injury to Krul and it's back to Blobby or poor young Alnwick being thrown to the wolves again.

2) Our centre half position is laughable. A past it captain, a perma crock with the brain capacity of a slug, and a league one stopper who wakes up each morning pissing himself laughing that he's at the club. Oh and our young left back who has looked the best of the lot....

3) Who's gonna score the goals John? Who's gonna set the goals up...Oh aye Goufran and Obertan most likely eh. You beter pray for some Cisse moments and for young Perez not to show signs of burn out.

A run of wins?? Eh  lets try one first eh, fucking mongo.

:lol:

I said before, I'm pretty much done until he's gone. I'll casually watch the matches, I'll not rearrange my schedules or plan around our matches anymore, sadly. It's a f***ing shame.

Still will be on here though tons, mind you :aww:

Could do without the patronizing, considering you know exactly as much as I do. Your intuition certainly isn't worth enough to toss terms like "deluded" or "naive" at me. You have exactly as much chance of being proved incorrect as I do.

By all accounts, those managers also had reservations about taking the job now. Garde and Tuchel are both taking a sabbatical, that's been well-established numerous times. de Boer, Galtier, and McClaren are all doing well with their respective clubs. Taking a step back and appraising the situation objectively, would you leave a club in contention to join a mid-table Newcastle United in mid-season? If you're Garde or Tuchel and allegedly have your sights set on bigger things, why would you rush into a club where you're under pressure to produce results immediately with players you've never worked with? Why not wait until summer, when you can come in and have several months to get a feel for your squad before the season begins?

I don't like Carver being in the position any more than you do, but I've said in the past that I'll withstand a half-season of Carver if it means we get a good manager/head coach (semantics, btw) in the summer. And I'll take that over hiring a Tony Pulis or Tim Sherwood to step in immediately. I don't believe Carver will see us relegated nor do I believe the club sees him as a long-term candidate. And he doesn't nearly have the support, record, or contractual obligations that Pardew could wield against them.

If summer comes and they pull a 180 by giving Carver the full-time gig, well, shame on me. But I'm willing to let this play out until then.

Cue the "regime apologist" drivel.

Apologies if that came across as condescending Deuce, but I'm properly gobsmacked about your opinion on this matter. Intuition? Really!? It's like the past 7.5 years never happened. If you don't think John Carver getting the job permanently in the summer is a very realistic proposition under Mike Ashley I don't have any kinder way of expressing that as being 'naive'.

Would a manager in contention or on a "sabbitical" join a "midtable" club like Newcastle in midseason? I don't see why not. Money talks, and we are still a big club in one of the biggest leagues in the world. I don't believe for a second that other, similar size clubs would have had any trouble luring a proper manager. Of course, they would have been prepared to pay what it costs to get a good manager in the first place and make it an attractive proposition by allowing them to put their stamp on the squad, which are things that are far more likely to cause a major problem in tempting the level of candidate you seem to think we will attract in a few months time than any lack of intrinsic interest in joining a club of our stature in midseason.

To suggest any new manager would have been under huge pressure to get results right from the off is drivel too. The vast majority of fans would have understood this second half of the season was a period of getting to know the squad and preparing for the summer transfer window. As it is, we will probably spend all summer with uncertainty about the manager situation paralysing everything at the club, players wanting away etc. As ever with Ashley, when he has a decision to make that could potentially take the club forward, prepare for the worst.

I never said it wasn't a realistic proposition. I just don't believe that it'll happen. And I don't think that's something to be dismissed so flippantly.

I see an owner who, though lacking in ambition, does not want us relegated. I don't think they believe we're going to be relegated this season, and neither do I. But I believe we will struggle and Carver will prove himself unfit for the job long-term. It'll take more than a few token wins for Carver to convince them to keep him on past the end of the season.

A jammy draw against Burnley and 3 losses is canny going like:

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder  ·  4m 4 minutes ago

JC says #nufc board were "encouraged" by efforts so far

0 replies . 3 retweets 0 favourites

We really need to get battered regularly now.

Aye, I really miss the Championship.

That's exactly where we'll be in 2016 if Carver's in charge next season.

I want Carver to be replaced as much as the next man but he's here until the summer and we need to pick up the points to stay in the Premiership.

Kaka said he was in favour of regular batterings, not failing to pick up enough points for survival. I personally hope we narrowly win 4 games and lose the rest 9-0.

Agree with this 100%.

And Deuce, I think the issue for most (certainly me) is that there were good coaches available now who we could have gone for and persuaded to come but we spent a month not really bothering, then announced Carver under the guise of some great strategic search for 'the right man' type bollocks.

There won't be a search, they'll wait and see if someone good knocks on the door otherwise it's carver, we all know this.

They've used up every last drop of benefit of the doubt years ago like.