Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

53 minutes ago, magvicar said:

This was against West Ham when I was about 15.

I was in the Gallowgate end also at that game. This was a petrol bomb thrown in the Leazes corner with the east stand where the away fans were generally put in those days.

This was in the days when our crowds were sometimes 13,14,15  and 16 thousand for most of the season. Mind you we were in the second division and the ground was a bit ramshackle.

I remember just seeing a big flame erupt for a short while and the West Ham fans quickly segregating to leave a sort of circle around the petrol bomb.

download-26.jpg

I remember the song sung in the next home match we played against West Ham.

He's only a poor little hammer.

His clothes are all tattered and torn.

He came for a fight so we set him alight.

And now he won't come anymore.

Funnily (or not so funny) enough I was in the Leazes end in this game and the police were ready and waiting to catch the fans singing. Many were dragged out and I was nearly dragged out myself by managing to absorb into the crowd a bit and all the bigger lads were dragged out.

Anyone remember this?

I mean, it's not funny or clever but as a young kid you generally get dragged along with the crowd and are very impressionable.

I was stood outside the magpie the day West Ham came and I watched a dad and his young son walking past us all stood outside. They were on the other side of the road.

I remember this very clearly. The man was carrying the old type (obviously) ADIDAS bag with West Ham on it and a few skinheads spotted them and ran over and give the bloke a bit of a kicking in front of his kid.

I was gutted for them but luckily the kicking was more half-hearted and no harm was done other than for the bloke and his kid having some of their day ruined.

I was a little bit of a rebel myself in those days but although impressionable I drew the line at any of that garbage.

I was there that day. West Ham fans came into Newcastle City very early looking for trouble.

In a previous game a couple of Newcastle fans were apparently stabbed and a coach got bricked so lots of Newcastle fans were out for revenge.

West Ham fans attacked a pub ( on west gate road I think ) early on in the day as they got off the train and just ran amok until the police eventually turned up.

Word spread about the Toon and it seemed like every heed-the-ball from Newcastle turned up.

I was in the Leazes end next to the West Ham fans, I remember seeing the petrol bomb come over from the paddock , I just thought it was a lighted scarf at first.  As the West Ham fans spread out to avoid the bomb some got trapped up against the fence, a few of them got a right kicking.

A very violent day, I've never seen so many bricks and bottles being chucked at each other, especially at half time around the back of the Leazes end. 

The next few away games in London were very scary QPR and Orient were mental as hammers fan were out to get us, I used to go via official supporters club  ( "Mother care" as it was nicknamed back then ) them days, most of the hard core Newcastle fans  (the NME)  used to go by train. 

Very scary but as a young 'un, enjoyable days out with your mates.

5 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

I was there that day. West Ham fans came into Newcastle City very early looking for trouble.

In a previous game a couple of Newcastle fans were apparently stabbed and a coach got bricked so lots of Newcastle fans were out for revenge.

West Ham fans attacked a pub ( on west gate road I think ) early on in the day as they got off the train and just ran amok until the police eventually turned up.

Word spread about the Toon and it seemed like every heed-the-ball from Newcastle turned up.

I was in the Leazes end next to the West Ham fans, I remember seeing the petrol bomb come over from the paddock , I just thought it was a lighted scarf at first.  As the West Ham fans spread out to avoid the bomb some got trapped up against the fence, a few of them got a right kicking.

A very violent day, I've never seen so many bricks and bottles being chucked at each other, especially at half time around the back of the Leazes end. 

The next few away games in London were very scary QPR and Orient were mental as hammers fan were out to get us, I used to go via official supporters club  ( "Mother care" as it was nicknamed back then ) them days, most of the hard core Newcastle fans  (the NME)  used to go by train. 

Aye I know what you mean.

I used to get caught up in a bit of the violence.

I remember talking to a lad who wanted to go to see Newcastle and I said " come with us, you'll be ok."

I remember his words were, " ahhh I would but me mam and dad will go mad and won't let me go."

I said "howay man your 14 so just tell them you're going with me and a group of lads."

He said "knowing me I'll end up getting hit by a brick or something and I'll never be allowed to go ever again."

I said " don't be silly man, the chances of that are pretty slim."

He ended up being allowed to go and if my memory serves me right I think it was against Chester in the cup and we got beat courtesy of one, Ian Rush.

I was giving it the " ahhh we'll thrash these about 6-0." I think we got beat 2-0 and it all kicked off after the game with police and horses plus dogs going hell for leather hitting fans with batons and having the dogs chasing us. I remember seeing one lad grabbed by a police dog and it ripped his jeans to shreds.

The lad I'd coaxed to come with us was petrified and was saying "what are we going to do." I just said " leg it."

Before we legged it, a bottle just missed his head by inches. Obviously aimed at the police but I remember running down the street shouting, "you nearly had your head split open"  and we ended up running past a shop where a load of lads were trying to empty  it of sweets and stuff.

The lad I coaxed was basically following me as close as hell as if I knew where to go and what to do. 

I remember seeing this wall about 4 foot high and thought "I'll jump this and just hide behind it."

I said that to the lad and we both leaped it to find about an 8 foot drop on the other side. Luckily we only had dodgy landings and no breakages.

I remember saying to the lad " you're a Jinx." [emoji38]

16 hours ago, magvicar said:

Aye I know what you mean.

I used to get caught up in a bit of the violence.

I remember talking to a lad who wanted to go to see Newcastle and I said " come with us, you'll be ok."

I remember his words were, " ahhh I would but me mam and dad will go mad and won't let me go."

I said "howay man your 14 so just tell them you're going with me and a group of lads."

He said "knowing me I'll end up getting hit by a brick or something and I'll never be allowed to go ever again."

I said " don't be silly man, the chances of that are pretty slim."

He ended up being allowed to go and if my memory serves me right I think it was against Chester in the cup and we got beat courtesy of one, Ian Rush.

I was giving it the " ahhh we'll thrash these about 6-0." I think we got beat 2-0 and it all kicked off after the game with police and horses plus dogs going hell for leather hitting fans with batons and having the dogs chasing us. I remember seeing one lad grabbed by a police dog and it ripped his jeans to shreds.

The lad I'd coaxed to come with us was petrified and was saying "what are we going to do." I just said " leg it."

Before we legged it, a bottle just missed his head by inches. Obviously aimed at the police but I remember running down the street shouting, "you nearly had your head split open"  and we ended up running past a shop where a load of lads were trying to empty  it of sweets and stuff.

The lad I coaxed was basically following me as close as hell as if I knew where to go and what to do. 

I remember seeing this wall about 4 foot high and thought "I'll jump this and just hide behind it."

I said that to the lad and we both leaped it to find about an 8 foot drop on the other side. Luckily we only had dodgy landings and no breakages.

I remember saying to the lad " you're a Jinx." [emoji38]

Sounds like you were a right hoot

On 14/04/2023 at 10:53, Dancing Brave said:

I think there was a lot of hate between the clubs after the petrol bombing. No idea if this scene actually happened.

Most unbelievable bit to me is a few people wearing Toon shirts (and one of them definitely looks like Steve Wraith).

The petrol bomb incident was 2/3 years before my time of going to games, but it was still very fresh in the memory of supporters during the mid-late 80's and early 90's, when we played West Ham. And yup - I sang that song along with others. Bad craic.

I was there and it didn't really sink in at that immediate moment how terrible it was. Nobody around me ( Gallowgate) cheered or supported that lads action's that day, at least from memory we didn't. 

From then on the song was sung regularly and not just when we played West Ham. Some great memories from that era but also some horrible one's of which that definitely falls into.

Was there as well, the bottle seemed to hang in the air, made a canny bang and then dropped into the crowd. I don’t think anyone could quite believe it. I think the game just kind of carried on. I was there when the Everton fans were in the paddock in the East Stand near the Gallowgate Corner. There was hell on, we ended up on the pitch along with loads of others. 

I’m not saying those were the days but, it was an experience back then.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

image.thumb.png.65896ebe8ad305150860b09fdea8a9b1.png

Great photo of Supermac.

When I was living in a shared house in London in the 1970s, I had a 'similar' photo of Supermac on the wall in my room. It was the centrepiece of my "Newcastle United SUPERTEAM" poster, see here . . .  

ILFORD - 37 Rutland Road in 1974 (4).jpg

28 minutes ago, bigfella said:

I've seen that film half a dozen times, but never noticed where that scene was filmed. 

Get Carter? My uncle is in that movie 🥁 #Factoid 🤓