Sammy Ameobi released

James

Why don't clubs offer him a permanent deal over a loan?

I can't see the point in keeping him if he isn't going to play given his age. He isn't going to get much better now.

I can't see the point in keeping him if he isn't going to play given his age. He isn't going to get much better now.

Neither can they.  :lol:

Exactly. Not sure what happens if he just doesn't want to stay at NUFC. How long until someone can sign him gratis? Seems kind of ridiculous that he's not able to do as he wishes.

Don't see how its ridiculous, its not as if he has to turn up for training or have any involvement with NUFC.  He just has to go out and find a new club and once a tribunal sorts out compensation he can play poorly for them.

He's an out of contract worker who cannot work for someone else unless they pay a fee. He is neither earning, nor capable of earning elsewhere. He's basically forced to re-sign for us, on a no doubt ridiculously low ball contract.

Spain abolished this kind of compo because it infringed on the footballer's right to practice his profession.

I'm all for rewarding clubs that develop players, but this seems to me an excessive restraint that hurts the footballer.

Exactly. Not sure what happens if he just doesn't want to stay at NUFC. How long until someone can sign him gratis? Seems kind of ridiculous that he's not able to do as he wishes.

Don't see how its ridiculous, its not as if he has to turn up for training or have any involvement with NUFC.  He just has to go out and find a new club and once a tribunal sorts out compensation he can play poorly for them.

He's an out of contract worker who cannot work for someone else unless they pay a fee. He is neither earning, nor capable of earning elsewhere. He's basically forced to re-sign for us, on a no doubt ridiculously low ball contract.

Spain abolished this kind of compo because it infringed on the footballer's right to practice his profession.

I'm all for rewarding clubs that develop players, but this seems to me an excessive restraint that hurts the footballer.

Obviously not going to happen in this case but it would be unfair if you spent ten years developing a player and then he just let his contract wind down and a big club comes in and the smaller club gets nothing

Neither can they.  :lol:

:lol: good point.

You'd think in Championship he would though. He's done well down there.

He was arguably our "best" winger last season. Unless we get at least one first team winger in, two if Cabella leaves or we don't trust Aarons to stay fit, we would be mad to let him leave imo. He's not of the required quality for where I want NUFC to be, but that goes for a lot of our players sadly. I would be all for an upgrade, but will we get one whilst we have Obertan and Gouffran on the books? I doubt it very much.

He can go and work in ASDA if he wants.  Seriously I doubt the fee will be high and theirs a reason for it after all, to stop clubs losing the youngsters they've trained for years for nowt.  If he cant find a club prepared to pay a hundred grand or so for him then perhaps he needs to look at a different career?

He'll go for a couple million like.

Obviously not going to happen in this case but it would be unfair if you spent ten years developing a player and then he just let his contract wind down and a big club comes in and the smaller club gets nothing

I don't disagree with that, but this system is shady as fuck and IMO will only end up getting challenged by someone's legal team in the not so distance future.

Also, if we really wanted to keep Sammy, we could have given him a longer contract, or offered him a better contract a few years ago. There has been plenty of time in which we were in the best position to tie Sammy up for a long time.

I think this compensation malarkey has to change so that the owning club has to offer a minimum x% pay rise, or maybe change it so that it really only applies when it's an upward move through the leagues.

Incidentally, the system would be fine if there weren't people like Mike Ashley, whose only interest is milking every penny out of the game, rather than building a competing football club.

Guest antz1uk

like we could develop a player, we've always been shite at bringing players through/on

even when Woodgate left he said he was disappointed he wasn't coached while with us, felt he hadn't been developed as a player

Sammy's probably been at the club a decade, and the only thing he's developed is his sense of humour. Nice lad, fucking hopeless footballer.

Yet still better than Obertan and Gouffran as a winger. The shitness of our squad in a nutshell.

I thought in this situation the contract offered to Ameobi by us had to better his previous contract.  That is pure FM knowledge though.

I believe it does, but "better" probably means about a tenner. To a contract he likely signed when he was 12 or some shit like that.

Of the three I'd play Gouffran ahead of Sammy, but there's not much in it. Obertan is a lost cause, I'd start a sandwich toaster on the wing ahead of that clown.

Sammy is ten times the winger Gouffran is

Of the three I'd play Gouffran ahead of Sammy, but there's not much in it. Obertan is a lost cause, I'd start a sandwich toaster on the wing ahead of that clown.

Unfortunately the sandwich toaster is ten times the winger Sammy is.

Sammy is barely ten times the player I am

Sammy is barely ten times the player I am

I don't even think Sammy is good but Gouffran is the worst player in our squad. Even Mike Williamson has the odd decent game. Riviere can look good in build up play, Gouffran hasn't done anything decent for around 2 years