Sammy Ameobi released

James

He plays with confidence and freedom.

Sounds like a tampax advert.

"Play with confidence and freedom, use Sammy Ameobi,  OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH Ameeeeeooooooobi, Ameeeeeeeooooobi for yoooooooooou."

Could be the "Bellamy-type" striker we need.

No chance. Not for a good few years anyway.

Agree, he needs to be more aggressive and although he is quick, he needs a tad bit more acceleration. Having said that I dont think you can compare the as they are different types of players.

I know, right? Why would he choose such a low-resolution picture?!

Anyway, just remembered how sad he looked when he looked substituted when the game was lost. Think he took the loss really personally (lots of inference from my part, here!) - which is nice to see (in a way).

Traps a ball incredibly well, already looks better technically than his brother. I'm really pleased for him, they're a great family and whatever I may think of Shola as a footballer, he's a good lad. Think we'll see a few moments of magic from Sammy throughout the season but he'll probably not get another start until the FA cup rounds if Obertan comes back fit

Guest VaVaVoom

Looking like a very decent option off the bench. Can come on and run at defenders on either wing or through the middle.

End product needs alot of work though. Composure to put a decent ball in the box or to actually strike the ball at goal with a bit of venom.

Decent though.

I'd have him, his brother and Best on the bench.

Traps a ball incredibly well, already looks better technically than his brother. I'm really pleased for him, they're a great family and whatever I may think of Shola as a footballer, he's a good lad. Think we'll see a few moments of magic from Sammy throughout the season but he'll probably not get another start until the FA cup rounds if Obertan comes back fit

Shola was at least as good as Sammy was when Shola first got into the team.

I honestly can't remember Shola's earliest performances for us so you're probably right but from the time I can remember his performances I can never remember having any confidence in him to either run with the ball, trap it, pick a pass, stay onside. He can do each of the aforementioned things but only on an incredible incosistent basis. Whenever Sammy was passed the ball at pace I braced myself because had it been Shola, he'd have lost the ball several times and he wouldn't have been able to go on the runs Sammy did. You may well be right about the Shola who started his career with us but for the last seven/eight seasons I've seen very little to convince me he's a good player

Shola seemed to lose it when he bulked up to his current boxer esque physique. He was better when he was a wiry youngster. However he was never quite as skinny as Sammy.

I thought Sammy did okay on Saturday. Looked a little bit overawed but hardly surprising given it was his first start against such a decent side.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Bellamy has got better with age - world class at times.

Guest VaVaVoom

Bellamy has got better with age - world class at times.

His assist yesterday epitomised this.

I honestly can't remember Shola's earliest performances for us so you're probably right but from the time I can remember his performances I can never remember having any confidence in him to either run with the ball, trap it, pick a pass, stay onside. He can do each of the aforementioned things but only on an incredible incosistent basis. Whenever Sammy was passed the ball at pace I braced myself because had it been Shola, he'd have lost the ball several times and he wouldn't have been able to go on the runs Sammy did. You may well be right about the Shola who started his career with us but for the last seven/eight seasons I've seen very little to convince me he's a good player

Shola at the same age had the same unpredictability to him, don't forget that.  And 100% true, his game seemed to have gone when he bulked up over the years.  Shola was still a pretty strong finisher when he was younger, which is why he was getting the hype he was at that time. 

Sammy looked pretty good, he has pace and good dribbling ability - he's great from the bench and has the ability to spark something out of nothing.