Sammy Ameobi released

James

Would probably agree with that. I've come to expect him to score if he's in the box with the ball at his feet. As you've alluded to, it's getting there that's generally the problem.

The whole Shola thing's been done to death really. He's an excellent finisher with virtually nothing else, aside from brute strength (which i don't think he really knows how to use). His career has been littered with sporadic moments of utter brilliance, which are harder to explain than black holes. 

don't really remember shola's first performances for us that well other than squaring up desailly and wise i think it was. his england under 21 performances were fantastic, mind. looked a better player than defoe on the same team though defoe never put an ounce of effort in.

Rising star Sammy Ameobi talks of his ‘love’ for Newcastle

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Friday 25 November 2011 12:30

SAMMY Ameobi has insisted he’s ready to roll his sleeves up and back up his talent with hard graft.

Ameobi made his full Premier League debut for Newcastle United against Manchester City last weekend.

And the teenager – who signed a new long-term contract at St James’s Park last week – hopes to be involved against champions Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Rooney battling to be fit to face Toon

Alan Pardew handed Ameobi a start on the right side of midfield in the absence of Gabriel Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux.

Obertan will be available again after recovering from a toe infection, and that could mean Ameobi drops down to the bench.

“I would like to be involved,” Ameobi told the Gazette.

“Hopefully, I will be – I’ll work hard for another opportunity.”

City won 3-1 to end Newcastle’s unbeaten record this season, but Ameobi felt the result could have been different, with Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa having decent scoring chances.

“We’ll take the positives from the game, and hopefully build on them,” added Ameobi.

“We had some great chances, but couldn’t put them away.

“Hopefully, we can keep building and building, and get a good result there. We’ll take it day by day.”

Ameobi was rewarded with a new three-and-a-half-year contract after breaking into Pardew’s first-team squad.

The 19-year-old also made his England Under-21 debut last week.

However, Ameobi insisted his feet won’t leave the ground as he attempts to establish himself as a Premier League player.

“I’m glad I’ve got to extend my time here,” said Ameobi.

“It’s a club I love, and the club I’ve supported since I was young. I’ve got a big love for the club, so I’m glad I’m staying.

“It’s been a nice few months for me – a rapid rise – and it’s only the beginning. I want to build from here and get better and better.

“The hard work starts now. I’ve got confidence in my own ability, and it’s hard work which has got me to where I am today. The rise is down to hard work, not just ability.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/sport-columnists/black-white/rising_star_sammy_ameobi_talks_of_his_love_for_newcastle_1_4005424

@Sammy_Ameobi Samuel Ameobi

Ahhh mannn I've just discovered a gaping hole around the private area of my one piece...back to primark it is!

So it seems that he bought the onesie from Primark. Tempted to go get one myself ;D

@Sammy_Ameobi Samuel Ameobi

Ahhh mannn I've just discovered a gaping hole around the private area of my one piece...back to primark it is!

So it seems that he bought the onsie from Primark. Tempted to go get one myself ;D

Had to ggogle this to discover what it is. Its a babygrow ffs  :lol:

Youth of today etc etc  :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/ameobi-steps-out-of-his-big-brothers-shadow-6271416.html

Ameobi steps out of his big brother's shadow

Sammy amazed at rapid progress at Newcastle but admits he has got a 'lot to learn from Shola'

Jason Mellor

Saturday 03 December 2011

For every young player successfully making his way in the game, there comes a moment when it resonates that he is more than just a footballer, but equally something of a public property, cast into the spotlight as the latest, albeit at this stage bit-part, character in the all-consuming soap opera that is the Premier League.

For Sammy Ameobi, it arrived recently, as he tucked into peri-peri chicken at an establishment that has become synonymous with his peers. "I was asked for an autograph at Nando's the other day," the engaging Newcastle forward revealed, his smile a mix of bemusement and recognition that he is no longer merely Shola's kid brother, but a blossoming talent in his own right.

"I'm getting recognised more regularly now," the teenager added. This, as if to underline the centrality of the sport in the national psyche, after just a single top-flight start, and a handful of substitute appearances for his hometown club. It's a tally he hopes to add to today in place of the suspended Jonas Gutierrez at home to Chelsea. The 19-year-old added: "Hopefully, I'm handling it quite well, even though I'm not one to spend a lot of my spare time in and around the town, I'm more of a private person, I like hanging out at home."

His occasional dalliances with Nando's aside, Ameobi is no identikit footballer. Far from it. Down to earth and articulate, modest to the point of self-deprecation, this is an individual who, after joining the club as a trainee three years ago in the wake of gaining 11 GCSEs, won't fritter away a glorious career opportunity. Any urge to over-celebrate should the hosts increase Chelsea's current woes with a victory to stretch their eight-month unbeaten home record will be tempered by the knowledge that for the tight-knit Ameobi family, Sunday morning means one thing: church, at 10.30am, sharp.

"If I'm not up and around, my parents will be knocking on my bedroom door, waking me up," Ameobi, who still lives at the family home in Fenham, barely a mile from St James' Park, added. "My faith's important to me. It's not just Shola that's been a massive influence on me, so has my family and my religion. They've all hopefully helped keep my feet on the ground.

"It could have been easy to get carried away with things, but that's not the way I was raised, so it won't be the way I live my life. To be honest, it's not what I expected at all in terms of my progress into the side. I thought the process would be a lot slower than it actually has. It's been amazing, and it's up to me to make the most of my opportunity."

The reward of a new three-and-a-half-year contract, in addition to an England Under-21 debut, arrived around the same time as his first League start. Conversely, the arrest of two teenagers for allegedly posting racist abuse on his Twitter account also gave Ameobi a glimpse into the unwanted consequences of footballing celebrity: "It's part of the whole package," he added: "You have to be able to deal with the good things and the bad."

Ameobi hesitates when asked if he's now on level terms with big brother Shola, 10 years his senior. It's a pertinent query, given his full debut arrived at Manchester City last month while his older sibling looked on from the bench. "I guess, but I've got a lot to learn to reach his standard." He smiled: "I'd never dare take the mickey for me being in the team and him not. I know my place in the family! Saying that, I've framed the teamsheet from that game!"

In one of football's quirks, a full home debut could arrive facing the club against who Shola took his Newcastle bow a dozen years ago, that appearance memorable for his refusal to back down in a confrontation with pint-sized pugilist Dennis Wise. "I was there to see Shola then, and it had a lasting impression on me to try and follow in his footsteps one day. I was only in year four at school, so it's a good job it was an afternoon game. Had it been an evening kick-off, it would probably have been past my bed-time."

:D

Quite disappointed when he came on. He's just not good enough yet, and that has shown in the last 2-3 games.

Aye, I'd like Pardew to give a chance from the bench to Little Fergie and Vuckic too. Not that I know what their condition/form is like but Ferguson especially has shown that he can be relied upon as much as Sammy imo.