Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Shame. I liked the lad and thought he had potential. Seemed to just have a sort of touch of class about him. Hope he does well. I think that mistake against Manchester United must've been a pivotal moment in his downfall under Carver.

How are other PL teams' records when it comes to youth recruitment? In the Ashley era only one (arguably two) player(s) signed for the Development Squad have amounted to something more than fuck-all: Perez and Bassong. There's a sprinkling of league minutes between Vuckic, Abeid and Bigi - all of whom have looked useful for a microsecond before going to the pits. But that's it. Is that good going by Premier League standards? I honestly don't know.

What about the rest? We've signed a lot. Poor coaching or poor scouting?

It seems that players from the area are always favoured in spite of the huge amount of young lads we purchase from other clubs. I don't have a problem with that, providing they're good enough players. But it can't be a coincidence that utter guff like Adam Campbell get anywhere near the pitch, when you consider our Development Manager is a Geordie.

Jesus christ.

I'm not too arsed that it's him but that brings it down to 3 out 3 in (IIRC) from the first team and whilst we have replaced with seemingly higher quality our squad depth isn't much better.

How are other PL teams' records when it comes to youth recruitment? In the Ashley era only one (arguably two) player(s) signed for the Development Squad have amounted to something more than fuck-all: Perez and Bassong. There's a sprinkling of league minutes between Vuckic, Abeid and Bigi - all of whom have looked useful for a microsecond before going to the pits. But that's it. Is that good going by Premier League standards? I honestly don't know.

What about the rest? We've signed a lot. Poor coaching or poor scouting?

It seems that players from the area are always favoured in spite of the huge amount of young lads we purchase from other clubs. I don't have a problem with that, providing they're good enough players. But it can't be a coincidence that utter guff like Adam Campbell get anywhere near the pitch, when you consider our Development Manager is a Geordie.

Wasn't Adam Campbell really good at youth level though?

Jesus christ.

I'm not too arsed that it's him but that brings it down to 3 out 3 in (IIRC) from the first team and whilst we have replaced with seemingly higher quality our squad depth isn't much better.

Hell with squad depth, we don't even have a complete first XI yet :lol:

I am fucking irate at this. The lad could clearly do a decent job and Id rather see him there than thag ginger cunt.  Irrespective of anything it worries me if he is off when we know Colback will most likely be starting week in week out. Mclaren probably thinks playing Colback will appease the fans and he works hard etc. If mourinho came in and he had to choose between the two there would be only one winner. We may have too many midfielders and it might be that he was the only one someone came in for but its still bollocks. Im starting to worry about Mclaren and not just because of this but I have no reason to suspect hes any better than the last 2 cunts. Ill see what he picks this weekend and if he does pick what I think he will its the same old shit. If he surprises me Ill hold up my hands and fair play.

Why is noone better taking him? Has a fee been mentioned?

Such a shame, really liked the lad. He could have made it in this league.

this is a decent question tbf

Why did no one better take HBA? Doesn't mean he shouldn't still be here.

Agreed. I think the answer is exposure myself, as someone else had already said. In Abeid's case obviously

To be fair, nobody bothers their arse with Ben Arfa as there's the perception within the game that he's a workie ticket, rightly or wrongly.

Fairly surprised a bottom half, top-tier European team isn't in for Abeid if he's being openly flogged.

Jesus christ.

5 out really as Sammi and Arma got quite a bit game time last season. Certainly 1st squad regulars.

Disappointed he is going as I was impressed in the limited games he got to play, he is better than Colback who is just so average it's disgusting. I can't think of a single attribute Colback has that is really good, he is crap at lots and average at some

Or maybe he doesn't have a say in it as per his role of head coach. For the same reason would anybody be surprised to see Colo flogged?

maybe mcclaren just doesn't rate abied and is happy to let him.go.

I reckon this will be the case.

Or maybe he doesn't have a say in it as per his role of head coach. For the same reason would anybody be surprised to see Colo flogged?

maybe mcclaren just doesn't rate abied and is happy to let him.go.

I reckon this will be the case.

That's what really worries me the most.

He doesn't qualify as a home-grown player and given we've signed three more players who also don't qualify, not sure Abeid would have been registered.

Obviously I'd have included him over some of the dross we have, but the management have their own ideas.

Maybe the player himself wants to go if he feels he won't get enough game time with us which is likely.  He is at that stage in his career where he needs to be playing every week especially as he is an international and he knows he can do it from his loan spell in Greece.