Kévin Gameiro

Waddles mullet

I'm pretty sure 10m euro is probably about as good as they're going to get for a player who's in the last year of his contract.

I feel like it's just the right amount to have them thinking "hmm... that's a good price. Maybe we sell him to Newcastle now and get a replacement in ASAP?"

Can't see why they'd accept any bid now when the player is clearly in demand. We might think our supposed bid is reasonable but they'd be mental to accept when there's months of bidding time ahead.

Well the club can't win with that, can they? If they wait until late in the window they'll be criticised even more. Could be in both clubs' interests to tie up a deal early... allow time for buying a replacement.

As others have said the fee will be limited by his contract situation to a certain extent.

For some reason I'd love Gameiro here, even though I've never actually seen him play!

Sounds robust, strong for his size and quick as well. Could potentially forge a good understanding with Ben Arfa.

"Sick of hearing about this Fünke guy..."

:lol: ;)

For some reason I'd love Gameiro here, even though I've never actually seen him play!

Sounds robust, strong for his size and quick as well. Could potentially forge a good understanding with Ben Arfa.

:lol:

:lol:

I'm pretty sure 10m euro is probably about as good as they're going to get for a player who's in the last year of his contract.

I feel like it's just the right amount to have them thinking "hmm... that's a good price. Maybe we sell him to Newcastle now and get a replacement in ASAP?"

I am unconvinced 10 million euros is going to be enough to sign him.

Wouldn't shock me if Lorient make bids public and try to spark a bidding war. Going in early makes sense however as the others linked; Vilarreal may likely be waiting on money for Rossi, Spurs will probably need to sell before they buy as may Lille. Not sure about others.

Never seen him play but his career at Lorient suggests he isn't a flash in the pan either. Does he score past the bigger teams would be my question as the dregs of Ligue Un are not comparable to Prem teams IMO.

Wouldn't shock me if Lorient make bids public and try to spark a bidding war. Going in early makes sense however as the others linked; Vilarreal may likely be waiting on money for Rossi, Spurs will probably need to sell before they buy as may Lille. Not sure about others.

Sums it up really.

If we do sign him I'm insisting we call him 'The Game'.

I know it's a lot of pressure to put on him, but I think he's up to it. He has a certain... pedigree about him.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KeTB_GaducE/ShLMxB0lGXI/AAAAAAAAAN0/CtJ3mkx-gsI/s400/DrEvil__orig.JPG

Guest WisconsinMagpie

Can't see why they'd accept any bid now when the player is clearly in demand. We might think our supposed bid is reasonable but they'd be mental to accept when there's months of bidding time ahead.

My French skills are modest (I speak Italian so I can make it out a bit in writing) and the web translations aren't any better. But the headline translates to "Decisive Week for Gameiro?" and I believe the sub-headline indicates the club may want to sell as soon as its season is over next Sunday. Why, I don't know; money issues maybe. Says Lorient is trying to strike a balance between its need for profit with the wishes of the player. Tottenham, PSG and Lille are identified as the most probable places for him to land outside Spain so we should be prepared for disappointment. But we're the ones with a bid in and it seems wise to force others' hands if Lorient is in a rush to sell. A club like Tottenham has lots of money and the summer ahead - making them commit to a player and spend now doesn't seem like a bad idea even if we don't get the player; might benefit us in competition later.

Guest michaelfoster

I know it's a lot of pressure to put on him, but I think he's up to it. He has a certain... pedigree about him.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KeTB_GaducE/ShLMxB0lGXI/AAAAAAAAAN0/CtJ3mkx-gsI/s400/DrEvil__orig.JPG

or take a sledgehammer to Alan Smith

"The New French Weapon" ftw

I can see why they'd want to get him sold sooner rather than later if he's going like, I'm sure they have replacements in mind and won't want to risk losing out on them because they're trying to squeeze every last penny out of the Gameiro deal.

We've timed this perfectly. Although they want a bidding war, with one year left on his contract our bid is the absolute maximum they should be getting. Plus, it's all paid up front. We want an early signing, they've got a brilliant offer with plenty of time to replace.

And comparisons with Owen aren't right. We were clearly a big step down from Real Madrid, so he wasn't interested. But Gameiro is largely unknown playing for a nothing club - we may not be Spanish, but we're definitely a step up for him.

Surely his situation is the same as Enrique's? In that both have a year left and both clubs will want to get things sorted one way or the other early on. I hear what people are saying about a bidding war, but you need to have time to get replacements in too. I think going in early is sensible, whatever the outcome. If we're successful, excellent, if not then we've got plenty of time to chase after other targets.