Yohan Cabaye retires

Can't believe people can be happy with this. Selling the best player we have without any realistic replacement. At a time where the league is probably going to be as open as we'll ever see it.

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. Fuck that shit, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

'Happy' is the wrong word, but I think some of us are accepting that, given all the circumstances, the right decision is to accept PSG's offer. It's not like any football club is completely in control of everything that can go on.

He's a good player, but as Tmonkey has pointed out, he has his flaws, and £20m is a good price. If it's true that he could leave for far less in the summer, then really there's no choice.

I do get tired of hearing that it's all down to Dr Evil and his mad schemes to fleece the club. There's a far simpler explanation, and one that would affect every club in our position.

Can't believe people can be happy with this. Selling the best player we have without any realistic replacement. At a time where the league is probably going to be as open as we'll ever see it.

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. Fuck that shit, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

'Happy' is the wrong word, but I think some of us are accepting that, given all the circumstances, the right decision is to accept PSG's offer. It's not like any football club is completely in control of everything that can go on.

He's a good player, but as Tmonkey has pointed out, he has his flaws, and £20m is a good price. If it's true that he could leave for far less in the summer, then really there's no choice.

I do get tired of hearing that it's all down to Dr Evil and his mad schemes to fleece the club. There's a far simpler explanation, and one that would affect every club in our position.

Exactly. Nobody likes it, in fact it's shit. But super-rich clubs generally buy the players of the rest. Sadly at the moment we're part of the rest.

Guest Roger Kint

Certainly glad we rested him for the FA Cup tie earlier in the month.

Oh yeah sorry, he was injured wasn't he? Stop sniggering at the back.

Aye PSG will be glad they can play him away to Charlton in the next round

We will always be part of "the rest" under Ashley's regime.

Can't wait for the excuses from Pardew. Fact is, we have shown zero ambition during Cabaye's time here. He's a quality player and we're a club full of potential being ran by jokers.

We will always be part of "the rest" under Ashley's regime.

Can't wait for the excuses from Pardew. Fact is, we have shown zero ambition during Cabaye's time here. He's a quality player and we're a club full of potential being ran by jokers.

For what?  :lol:

Sadly, it becomes ever more justifiable for fans to also decide that it's "good business" for them not to buy tickets - not just for meaningless cup ties, but for what are meaningless league games. Presumably the players would be fined for finishing in a European spot.

This perfectly sums up why I don't have a season ticket any more. With a 550-mile round trip thrown in, it just didn't make financial sense, using the same logic the club enshrines.

Guest Roger Kint

Heard on SSN we are putting a dealine of tomorrow night on signings? So despite wasting two windows we are almost halving our allocated time to replace Cabaye  :lol:

This will end well......

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. f*** that s***, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

Exactly. Nobody likes it, in fact it's s***. But super-rich clubs generally buy the players of the rest. Sadly at the moment we're part of the rest.

Except our owner chooses for us to not be a 'super-rich club' when in reality he's one of the wealthiest men in the PL. Adds insult to injury doesn't it?

It's not, so let's not even go there.

I wouldn't be pissed off if it was a genuinely fantastic offer, a la Carroll, but £20m is just not that much in todays climate. Cabaye is desperate to go to the World Cup as well, so the whole "he's unhappy here" doesn't work either. It's unambitious shite, and I wouldn't be surprised if this money was already spent last January.

Just wish we would buy Holtby and Hughes with that money and that would cover the majority of transfer fees and agent fees. We can only dream but for some reason i still think we might bring someone in, probably from France and De Jong is still a possibility. If nothing is done it will just be left to Pardew to take the brunt of the anger and him to come out with the same old excuses to save face for Ashley.

Guest Roger Kint

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. f*** that s***, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

Exactly. Nobody likes it, in fact it's s***. But super-rich clubs generally buy the players of the rest. Sadly at the moment we're part of the rest.

Except our owner chooses for us to not be a 'super-rich club' when in reality he's one of the wealthiest men in the PL. Adds insult to injury doesn't it?

:lol: Christ

Exactly. Nobody likes it, in fact it's shit. But super-rich clubs generally buy the players of the rest. Sadly at the moment we're part of the rest.

Is this purposefully myopic? That's the only reason I can think of why you would ignore the context around the sale, tbh.

We're not talking about Real Madrid tabling £86m to pluck a star player from a team not playing Champions League football/paying inordinate wages, no one would be delighted with such a situation, but no one would begrudge the ownership either.

We're talking about a club (or vehicle, if you will) re-invented for this very purpose, for these very paydays.

They've explicitly stated they don't want to win cups, they don't want European football and 2.5 years+ of evidence shows they're not fussed about entertaining or respecting fans.

However, you are their perfect fan. You will chalk it up to "one of those".

Is this purposefully myopic? That's the only reason I can think of why you would ignore the context around the sale, tbh.

We're talking about a club (or vehicle, if you will) re-invented for this very purpose, for these very paydays.

fuck me i'm going all ian w here but does the context not count for the bold too?  it's not like ashley just woke up one day, decided he had to spend 250m quid in order to systematically suck the life out of a football club he had no association with