Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Statistics are generally only any use to support a common view or observation that people have made. When people try to use statistics to argue against what is obvious to anybody that has eyes is irritating as f***. If I've just watched a player play s**** then I don't give a f*** what his tackle/pass/interception percentage is, he's still played s****.

Yeah, that's complete and utter s***.  If a player stands out notably in an area of their game, which they are expected to contribute greatly to and that is backed up by statistics then they have done a good job.

Good example was Ameobi's cameo a few games back when he got slated by almost everybody.  Then a quick check after the game on his passing showed just how well he'd both retained the ball and moved us up the pitch. 

People are just missing depth and context.  Good statistic use is good.

But Ameobi's passing statistics from that game didn't reflect anything or prove that he moved us up the pitch at all. It's just data and without being combined with context from the actual game it means fuck all. Like that article I posted explains, not all completed passes are good passes and similarly not all 'completed' tackles are good tackles. Without context, stats in football are meaningless. The game is simply too fluid with too many permutations.

If that was strictly true, then games like FIFA 12 would not be realistic. Based on stats, algorithms and maths.

wouldn

Are they not? I wouldnt know but i was assuming that the Rooney character is really good and Ryan Taylor one isnt very good. Based on maths i would assume too.

you don't need stats  to know that, however i'll bet raylor stats at left back are up there with most other left backs this season and i'll wager nolan's stats were great for last year.

But, with seven French speaking players in his squad, Alan Pardew has actually banned them speaking the language around the training ground.

If he hears a word of it on the pitches, in the dressing room, round the canteen or even from the table tennis room, the players are fined.

Glad we've had a good start. :lol:

wouldn

Are they not? I wouldnt know but i was assuming that the Rooney character is really good and Ryan Taylor one isnt very good. Based on maths i would assume too.

you don't need stats  to know that, however i'll bet raylor stats at left back are up there with most other left backs this season and i'll wager nolan's stats were great for last year.

I'm not really invested into the argument either way but the only way a machine can accurately reflect the quality of a player is through numbers, so they do have some role. Sewelly is right to be sceptical of them but i disagree that they can only be used to support a commonly held view.

wouldn

I'm not really invested into the argument either way but the only way a machine can accurately reflect the quality of a player is through numbers, so they do have some role. Sewelly is right to be sceptical of them but i disagree that they can only be used to support a commonly held view.

The stats can confirm if you're pass was successful or not and also which direction it went it. They can't tell you if there were better options, how long the player held onto the ball for and so slowed up play, etc.

I feel like Pardew tends to over-use his ability to be a covering midfielder and asks him to drop deep when we need protecting. He's certainly capable of doing it but it's a waste of his talents.

If he can do it, then it's incredibly useful for us.  Play in the middle as a distributing midfielder when we need goalsand then join Tiote in breaking up the opposition when we need to kill the game.

It might not be the best use of him, but there's a time and a place to make the game flow freely and there's a time to break things up and slow it down.

Hes been included on personalised nufc fifa 12 cover along with hatem and cheik. Hats off to you EA

I have that cover.  It's majestic.

Link here - http://www.ea.com/uk/football/1/fifa12-club-pack-newcastle

Best Fifa cover ever :smitten:

Mate has got that cover like, proper jealous.

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/1/fifa12-club-pack-sunderland

:lol:

:spit: Was expecting it to be an awful cover, actually burst out laughing when I clicked the link.

Looked quiet on Football First's highlights, unlike the dreadful Birtles though who seems despise all things NUFC, Trevor Francis was quite keen on him.  Think he is also a big fan of the Dreamboat, was constantly singing his praises.

Really looking forward to the Spurs match, going to be a class midfield battle, Cheik looks back to his best as well.