Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I think we've no chance of sigining Remy permanent, wages and him wanting Champions League. Still nice to see him here now though.

Agreed. Remy's raised his profile considerably since joining. Joint-3rd in the league in scoring. He'll get offers from clubs with deeper pockets and we won't put up a fight with QPR.

Chelsea doled out the cash for Ba and Remy's a better player than that.

£20m+ for Cabaye is a decent amount, so providing the money gets re-invested wisely in the squad, then it's fine by me.

Cabella looks like an attacking midfielder rather than a playmaker, so it wouldn't be an exact swap. But that's no bad thing.

Cabaye's departure was always inevitable but I really thought we would have him on our books until the summer. I'm simply not ready to see him leave - I would have been prepared for it in the summer but to potentially see him leave now, in the middle of the season, is rather gutting.

As much as I don't want Cabaye to go less we forget this is a player who went on strike at the start of the season.  Player power these days.  Big shame would have loved it if he'd stayed and we got Cabella - but that would be too scary as it would mean the club showing some ambition.  Was always going to be his replacement.

Guest VanBarduck

The twatter who tweeted that looks very young and lacks followers.

I'll await a more credible source before getting worried.

PSG's midfield tonight consists of:

Motta, Verratti & Matuidi.

Cabaye is a better player than all 3 of them IMHO.

No, he isn't.

Guest bimpy474

Least we've lined up a very good player as a replacement, about as positive as we can be. Thought he would have stayed till the summer, like.

Getting him over than lined up is the problem, do you really think we'll pay £12m for Cabella because i dont.

My concern here is whether this €26m really IS dependent on Cabella signing, or whether we'll sell anyway. If Cabella joins and he goes then fair enough, just as long as we don't get a Carroll situation.

We've done this for one reason, when we can't sign cabella on the cheap we go back to PSG and say we can't sell unless the money is mental as the fans will go mad....in rolls a £30m+ bid.

It's probably the worst time in Cabaye's recent career for us to be selling him. There were many months on this forum where most people would happily have waved him goodbye.

I'm disappointed if he goes, but if Pardew uses Cabella as a proper attacker we might be alright.

Least we've lined up a very good player as a replacement, about as positive as we can be. Thought he would have stayed till the summer, like.

I've only seen Cabella a few times but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a Cabaye replacement.

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 2m

No firm bid from PSG, just prices being bandied around by French press. PSG are interested in Cabaye but no bid yet #nufc

gone by tomorrow then

This is about the only time I want Lee to be correct.

I've only seen Cabella a few times but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a Cabaye replacement.

Yeah, different types of player. I was thinking last night that if we do sell him, there's no one player (that I'm aware of) who can do everything Cabaye does. Example, there's many good creative attacking midfielders but not many as industrious and willing to get stuck in as him. It'd certainly take a hefty whack to buy someone of his quality to replace him, which is obviously something we won't do.

Getting him over than lined up is the problem, do you really think we'll pay £12m for Cabella because i dont.

If we get 26 for Cabaye then yes...

Still think this will happen in the summer although the temptation to Ashley to sell now with just over 11 days remaining in the transfer window. Perfect for him to sell and blame not enough time for not replacing Cabs.