Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

So guess us qualifying for Europe means his £7m clause is now expired. That's what was said wasn't it?

Haven't heard that before, great if true :thup:

Any more weird clauses? If Ba's knee explodes he has to clean Alan Smith's house for two weeks?

Guest bimpy474

So guess us qualifying for Europe means his £7m clause is now expired. That's what was said wasn't it?

I thought only teams that qualified for the Champions League could activate the clause, anyone can buy him just not for whatever the release fee is (£7m).

Guest Howaythetoon

Ba is playing well enough not to be overly concerned. I just feel he's going through a barren spell and needs a goal. Mind he hasn't been the same since his penalty miss against the mackems.

Ba is playing well enough not to be overly concerned. I just feel he's going through a barren spell and needs a goal. Mind he hasn't been the same since his penalty miss against the mackems.

While he may be being shoehorned in a bit, the fact he's playing with Cabaye, Cissé and Ben Arfa means he's always going to get goalscoring chances.

He'll get a few more by the end of the season, sure of it, howay Demba!

I thought only teams that qualified for the Champions League could activate the clause, anyone can buy him just not for whatever the release fee is (£7m).

Well that rules out Liverpool then  :iamatwat:

Seriously though, there was some talk of the clause being triggered by euro something, I honestly thought it was if we qualify then his clause expires.

NEWCASTLE United are more confident than ever that Demba Ba won’t activate the buy-out clause in his contract and will stay at St James’ Park.

The Sunday Sun believes recent talks between the club and their Senegalese striker have gone well and there is now a much better chance of him not leaving in the summer then was expected a few months ago.

A clause in 26-year-old Ba’s contract, first publicly revealed by Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp in January, means he could leave for £7m – with the player himself in line for a sizable chunk of that fee – and clubs would be allowed to speak with him after this season ends.

Paris Saint Germain, now owned by an oil rich Qatari consortium, promise to be European football’s biggest summer spenders and Ba is one of their main targets.

Redknapp himself is also clearly interested in a player who transformed his career following his move from Upton Park as a free agent 10 months ago.

Indeed, only last week the former West Ham United man, who has scored 16 Premier League goals for Newcastle since his Bosman move last summer, admitted he would welcome a move to the French giants.

“It’s always a dream for me to play one day at PSG, but I’m really happy where I am in Newcastle,” Ba told reporters.

It did seem then that there would be little Newcastle could do to keep their man and, of course, clubs will at least ask the question of Ba in the summer transfer window.

The good news for the Toon Army, however, is that behind the scenes talks have progressed well and Ba is closer than ever to extending his stay on Tyneside longer than just one season.

A Newcastle source confirmed that while there remains a chance Ba would leave, especially as it could net him a fortune, he has indicated to manager Alan Pardew that his immediate future could still be at the club, especially after such a fantastic season on a personal level.

Ba was voted the best signing of the 2001/12 season by the Premier League managers only last month.

He signed a three-year deal last June and has made a stunning impact, becoming a vital player in Pardew’s frontline.

Ba scored a hat-trick against Blackburn Rovers in September as he bagged his first goals for Newcastle and was named December’s Player of the Month.

His form has dipped slightly since he returned from the African Cup of Nations in February; Ba’s goal against Aston Villa on his return being his last effort to find the back of the net.

Guest bimpy474

Well that rules out Liverpool then  :iamatwat:

Seriously though, there was some talk of the clause being triggered by euro something, I honestly thought it was if we qualify then his clause expires.

Damn hope so, mind you if a player is wrangling to have clauses like that it worries me about their motives, can't fault his effort though and maybe the clause was because he didn't think we'd be as good as we've been.

I am not worried about Ba at all, he's not scoring yes but he's performing great( if we knickpit it could be argued he performed below par against Bolton and Swansea) but its impossible to perform great every single damn week its not like he's not scoring and offering nothing to the team....

The goals will come, i would'nt worry about it..... i was negative about his attitude a couple of week ago but i was wrong and must apoligise for everything i said about him..... saying he threw the toys out the pram etc etc....

He's a wonderful player, goals or no goals and a very important component to our front 3 without him it wouldnt work half as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's not good enough for PSG.

He'd tear up that league and do well enough in Europe for them. They have the money but they are hardly going to sign the likes of Tevez, Rooney et el so the likes of Ba are more than adequate for them or rather good enough. Ba is good enough for anyone in our League with perhaps the exception of Man City but only due to their own riches in terms of Tevez and Aguero and of course their riches to buy anyone they fancy. Ba would start for Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle.

He really should have scored yesterday with that chance from the Ben Arfa cross, should have just headed it straight into the back of the net. Still good to see he seemed to be enjoying it a lot more than recently, had a massive grin on after Cabaye scored his second.

Tbf, Martins is counting goals against some European heavyweights such as Levadia Tallinn and Zulte Waregem in his total.

If you knock it in from 20 yards I don't care who it's against, and in a far inferior NUFC to this one.

Tbf, Martins is counting goals against some European heavyweights such as Levadia Tallinn and Zulte Waregem in his total.

If you knock it in from 20 yards I don't care who it's against, and in a far inferior NUFC to this one.

So your point is that Martins is better than Ba? Not surprised really