Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Colo was my favourite defender in the world before he signed for us, and i'd been banging on that we should sign him for years so i'm extra pleased he turned it around. Was very poor at times in the first season, after a promising start, but once he got to grips with English football he's been sensational. he still has one or two weaknesses, though even the best do, and he has managed to adapt his game to compensate for them.

The one thing he seems to struggle against is muscle. I'm far more far confident of him snuffing out a Torres/Rooney than a battering ram like Davies who always seems to give him problems.

The one thing he seems to struggle against is muscle. I'm far more far confident of him snuffing out a Torres/Rooney than a battering ram like Davies who always seems to give him problems.

Yep, muscle and pace. He uses his brain to compensate, and usually that's enough. Occasionally, it isn't.

Woodgate as a defender was pretty much the complete package. There's really no comparison.

The only sort of weakness this golden god has is his aerial ability. How he makes up for it I don't know, but he should be struggling a lot more against the amount of big, mean strikers he comes up against. The moment that springs to mind is when we played Bolton and he was all over the place, finally elbowing Elmander and getting sent off. Somehow, I think he learnt a lesson that day, hasn't looked trouble by anyone with that physical approach ever since.

Completely agree with him surpassing Woodgate by now. His consistency since we dropped down is unheard of, playing every single game and being the magnificent defender whoever he plays with or comes up against. Like HTT said, world-class and would be considered a steal at £10m if he had played this well from the off. Also, taking into account that he didn't turn his back on us when we went down shows that he is a determined player with a point to prove. Pure love.

Me - 26th May 2011

I had high hopes for him and was impressed by his early performances. 

It's not all been his fault.  The off field traumas and managerial changes, the lack of any kind of midfield etc have all served to undermine his confidence.

However, he has too many flaws and apperas to have the heart of a goat.

Sadly, he'll have to go.  A real shame as I quite like him.

:blush:

Me - 26th May 2011

It's not all been his fault.  The off field traumas and managerial changes, the lack of any kind of midfield etc have all served to undermine his confidence.

You said that in May 2011, knob.  :lol:

Me - 26th May 2011

You said that in May 2011, knob.  :lol:

Whoops May 2009  :lol:

He's just so so good.

He's exceptional, but yesterday was a wake up call to all the hyperbole on here, he was fortunate not to cost us two goals.

Steven Taylor (made up for the foul on O'Hara with goal saving interceptions) who gets similar hyperbole on here, but the exact opposite of Colo, was excellent once more, as he has been for about the last 12 games.

He's just so so good.

He's exceptional, but yesterday was a wake up call to all the hyperbole on here, he was fortunate not to cost us two goals.

Which two 'goals' were these?

I'd imagine being in no mans land when Krul came out to save from Doyle, I think it was, and getting caught out dicking around on the touchline instead of booting it out when Fletcher should've scored.

He's just so so good.

Which two 'goals' were these?

I'd imagine being in no mans land when Krul came out to save from Doyle, I think it was, and getting caught out dicking around on the touchline instead of booting it out when Fletcher should've scored.

Aye he tried to shepherd it out and got mugged, led to the Krul double save.

Only special players get tossed off by our physio.

:lol:

I saw that too.

We found that hilarious in the bar.

"I kna we sing about us letting you shag our wives but just leave mine Colo'."

It was either that or;

"Hey, Colo' you did wonders on wor lass last neet, she's not moaned aal day."