Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Would be quite the turn around if a group of random investors and money men somehow cough up 7-10M. I really think its on the verge of collapse and he'll be back with the armband ready to lead our back line.

Am I the only one that thinks the armband is just a prop nowadays?

Nope. For the most part it's symbolic rather than genuinely meaningful. Particularly in our case right now. :lol:

I'd rather just give it to Krul (so then it's not really an issue), but wouldn't taking it away from Colo just create more problems? Colo might not deserve it after the whole saga last season but someone like Cabaye doesn't either, especially after his latest comments. We don't really have that many worthy candidates.

Nope. For the most part it's symbolic rather than genuinely meaningful. Particularly in our case right now. :lol:

Just depends who it is, really. None of us are in the dressing room so we don't know how things play out intricately. However, you can look at the likes of Nolan and Owen as polar opposites for the captaincy. Nolan appeared to have a genuine talismanic influence amongst the squad of the time, whereas Owen was Captain for all the wrong reasons. Probably wasn't the worst decision at the time of awarding him it, but I'll be surprised if I'll ever witness a worse Captain than in 08/09. He should never have had it for as long as he did.

Fwiw, Colo seems like a decent Captain based on soundbites from the rest of the squad (and the manager :yao:).

Aye, leaders come to the fore whether they wear it or not, and wearing it doesn't make you one either.

In Spain captaincy is just adjudicated by seniority, so I suppose it's less of a big deal.

Shearer had the armband and no doubt commanded respect but everyone who's said anything has always pointed at Gary Speed being the glue that kept everyone together and was the true leader in the changing room.

Its Colos captaincy until someone else steps up to be that person for us as far as I'm concerned. I do however, see someone like Mapou (who was captain of Montpellier) possibly growing into that role. His quotes from when he signed showed a very, very mature young man with tremendous self confidence and leadership.

We're absolutely fucked if he leaves. Desperately need him to stay.

I thnk we would have went down last season if it wasn't for him coming back.

Despite it already being pointed out that we were safe regardless of him coming back?

Guest palnese

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4969717/Fabricio-Coloccini-Ill-stay-at-Newcastle-but-want-to-join-Lorenzo.html

FABRICIO COLOCCINI has revealed he WILL be a Newcastle player next season — after conceding defeat in his attempts to move back home.

Toon’s captain, 31, first expressed his desire to return to Argentina in January citing family reasons.

Boss Alan Pardew persuaded Coloccini to stay at Tyneside until at least the end of the campaign where his future would again be discussed.

Argie outfit San Lorenzo had hoped to sign Newcastle’s star centre-half this summer after failing to land him on a free last transfer window.

But Coloccini has now ended all speculation over his future in what will be a major boost for Pardew and Toon fans.

Speaking to Argentine TV, he said: “I have talked many times with San Lorenzo about moving back with them.

“My desire is to move back but that¹s not going to happen next season.

“I didn’t move to San Lorenzo last season because Newcastle didn’t want me to leave.

“I’m not going to move to San Lorenzo now because Newcastle don’t want me to go. I have to respect that decision.

“I’m a grateful person and Newcastle have given me the opportunity of playing in the Premier League, which is the elite of football — so I will stay at Newcastle.”

Coloccini still has three years left on his current contract but became unsettled last term with his wife and children now living back in Argentina.

Pardew has publicly admitted on several occasions how keeping hold of the defender was one of his main aims this summer.

He has been looking at other options at centre-half including FC Twente’s Douglas and Alex Pearce from Reading, who would both be available on a free.

But Coloccini and Steven Taylor are now expected to the start the season as his first-choice pairing, with Taylor himself yesterday pledging his long-term future to Newcastle.

The England defender, 27, said: “Being at Newcastle is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

“I am still living the dream of every young lad that is in this city.

“It is what I have always wanted to do. I have to keep pinching myself.”