Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

first time ive seen him labelled as cult hero in the media via sky sports match report, very true for me, Such a classy footballer man

Agreed. A top top player. Calm and collected on the ball and also beginning to grow into the captain's role. Leads by example. Tremendous player. Let's just hope he's given another contract this year - he's simple invaluable to us at the moment.

first time ive seen him labelled as cult hero in the media via sky sports match report, very true for me, Such a classy footballer man

This. I'll never forget him bringing down a goal kick and killing it stone dead with his instep late on in the 5-1 v Sunderland.

A little bit of wee came out...

If I was in Pardew's shoes I would definitely stick my head on the line and go to the board and ask for Colo to have his contract extended by up to four years on exactly the same terms.

There is good justification for it - his fitness, his lack of injuries; the fact his game isn't built on pace, the quality of performances, the time and money it would take to get and bed in a replacement, his captaincy, his influence on the defence. Influence the board early before negotiations are opened and we may just do enough to keep him.

If I was in Pardew's shoes I would definitely stick my head on the line and go to the board and ask for Colo to have his contract extended by up to four years on exactly the same terms.

There is good justification for it - his fitness, his lack of injuries; the fact his game isn't built on pace, the quality of performances, the time and money it would take to get and bed in a replacement, his captaincy, his influence on the defence. Influence the board early before negotiations are opened and we may just do enough to keep him.

This!  :snod:

This is the problem we have though. He's on about £80k I'd imagine, the likes of Tiote, Cabaye & Ben Arfa will be on £30-40k less than that. Give him the same contract and that's when the likes of those 3 will start thinking hang on a second if he's being given a contract on that much then we should be on more too.

I think £60k would be about what we offer him tbh, and would he get that anywhere else should he leave? Loyalty works both ways at the end of the day.

I'm not sure I agree Nut, Colo's been here a lot longer and is also captain. That sort of thinking puts a pretty big obstacle in the way of progress as you can never push the boat out on a big contract when you think it will really benefit the team,as it would in this case imo.

Players who have a problem with others being paid better are gonna have that problem at almost every club they play for,until they become the highest paid themselves. It's just a bit if an easy excuse for not shelling out imo.

30 in january, length of the deal will more than likely be as much a sticking point as the actual wages, he's gone imo, unless he isn't a total fucking arsehole like 99% of footballers

3 year deal would be fine for me, as has been said his fitness has been awesome since coming so nothing to suggest he'll fall to pieces

I'm not sure I agree Nut, Colo's been here a lot longer and is also captain. That sort of thinking puts a pretty big obstacle in the way of progress as you can never push the boat out on a big contract when you think it will really benefit the team,as it would in this case imo.

Players who have a problem with others being paid better are gonna have that problem at almost every club they play for,until they become the highest paid themselves. It's just a bit if an easy excuse for not shelling out imo.

Fwiw I think we will try a bit harder to keep Coloccini than we did with the likes of Barton & Nolan because he fits in with the type of character the club seems to want now. I guess we'll see though.

The difference between Barton/nolan will be the quality of other teams that'll take him I think. He could play in Italy til he's 35. Still staggered Arsenal didn't try for him,he'd be pretty hard to replace like,given his qualities and his fitness record

Barton and Nolan were both relatively easy to replace, I highly doubt we'll be able to replace Colo. We simply have to offer him a very good contract.

problem is we all know how valuable he is to the team and how difficult it will be to replace a genuine class CB...let's be honest we were trying since woodgate ffs

i fear MA will think it's as easy as sending carr out to find the next bassong (wouldn't bet against him coming back personally)

We won't be able to replace him :(

For once, I agree with James. He hasn't gone for the usual 'looking far too much into things and trying to create some intelligent angle which just reads likes bullshit' approach. I am usually against paying mental wages we can't afford but with Colo it's different. While Barton and Nolan were good players they were earning or looking for the sort of wages the likes of Modric are on and that's just silly given the gulf in talent and the position of the clubs but Colo is worth every penny, especially as James said, Colo is a fucking machine in regards to injuries.

Must keep because in the long term financially we would be spending vast amounts of cash trying to replace him (if we were a normal club), however realistically we will be just hoping Carr can find a top class defender that falls under the radar and has a release clause that fits in with the current set up. Unfortunately I don't think this will be succesfull and we will be bringing in then replacing defenders for years rather than spending real money which is something we have to do to push on. If we could get Gary Cahill to change his name to Sports Direct.com there would be a chance of pushing the boat out.

:thup:

Fwiw I think we will try a bit harder to keep Coloccini than we did with the likes of Barton & Nolan because he fits in with the type of character the club seems to want now. I guess we'll see though.

I think the problem will be that we aren't prepared to break our wage structure. At the moment we don't want to go higher than 50k it seems, but Colo's supposed to be on 80k. If Ashley had any sense he'd give him some sort of signing on fee to make up the difference because a central defender who is never injured and that good will save more than the money we pay him. It makes sense from a financial point of view as much as anything else.

Coloccini is class, he reads the game so well and rarely flaps, even when he makes a mistake, something he didn't do today.  I love it when he gets the ball anywhere at the back because more often than not he'll bring the ball out.  I think he'd have scored today if Obertan had played the ball to him after Coloccini had made one of his epic runs up field.

Coloccini is the main reason why we've let in so few goals.  He holds the defence together with his calmness and how he reads the game.  The midfield know that if he get's the ball he's going to look to play others in rather than just hoofing the ball and losing posession.

Coloccini is class, he reads the game so well and rarely flaps, even when he makes a mistake, something he didn't do today.  I love it when he gets the ball anywhere at the back because more often than not he'll bring the ball out.  I think he'd have scored today if Obertan had played the ball to him after Coloccini had made one of his epic runs up field.

Coloccini is the main reason why we've let in so few goals.  He holds the defence together with his calmness and how he reads the game.  The midfield know that if he get's the ball he's going to look to play others in rather than just hoofing the ball and losing posession.

Philipe Albert-esque