Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/259549/Fabricio-Coloccini-s-talking-a-good-game?

FABRICIO COLOCCINI’s £85,000-a-week wages should just about cover the extra English language lessons he is planning now that he has been made Newcastle United’s new skipper.

In any language Fabricio Coloccini’s colossal wages – he was easily the best paid player in the Championship two seasons ago – are controversial, but his popularity with Newcastle fans is not remotely in doubt.

His reputation soared last season and with Kevin Nolan having departed for West Ham United earlier this summer the Argentine centre-half was the obvious choice for the armband, even though he insists the honour came as a shock.

“The club has a lot of leaders and I am sure the manager could have chosen any of them to be captain,” he said.

“That’s why it is a surprise he picked me, but I’m really happy to have been chosen.

“This is the first time I have ever been a captain. I spoke with my English teacher last week because I have to start my lessons again. I left my course last year because my English had improved to a certain level, but now I am the captain, I think it needs to be even better.

“It is my responsibility to improve. Now I am the captain I will have a lot more speaking to do and I want to be able to do that properly.”

Captain Coloccini, who arrived at St James’ Park three years ago from Deportivo La Coruna for £10.3million, delivered a fairly modest return in his first season but has blossomed in the last two campaigns – with the result that manager Alan Pardew’s choice was a relatively straightforward one.

Coloccini said: “In Spain the captain is normally the player who has been at the club for the most years. That is how most Spanish clubs choose their captain.

“Being a captain in England is different. It is a much bigger responsibility and I am ready for that. The fans and the press give the captain more importance and you are seen as much more of a figurehead.”

The FA, meanwhile, will today investigate the appalling crowd disturbances which marred a pre-season friendly at Darlington on Friday. An FA spokesman said: “We will be contacting both clubs, the police and other officials before deciding what action, if any, to take.”

The FA have been impressed with the club’s total condemnation of Friday’s events, which saw hundreds of fans invade the pitch and several skirmishes break out.

I was on my way to work this morning, listening to xfm, and the sports guy said the words "Fabricio Coloccini". My heart stopped. In the space of half a second I imagined that he had spoken out against the board, or demanded a transfer, or had been injured and would miss the whole season. I started to sweat, I mean why would xfm - a music station in London with no interest in the goings on at NUFC - be talking about Colo.

Turns out he was just talking about his mate Tevez being home sick, and saying how hard it must be for him with his family still in Argentina.  Panic over. But for a moment I was properly bricking it.

There was no reason at all for them to mention his wages in that article like.

Especially when megabucks clubs like Man City and Chelsea are throwing double that at their players.

Captain Colo Answers Your Questions

New captain Fabricio Coloccini has taken time out of his busy schedule on the Magpies' pre-season tour of America to answer fans' questions exclusively for nufc.co.uk.

United supporters have been emailing their questions in all week, and the Argentine international defender has done his best to answer as many as possible on a range of subjects including new teammates, dream signings and his famous hairstyle!

If you were the team manager who would be your next signing?

From Callum McPherson

FC: Lionel Messi, my fellow Argentinean! But I reckon our budget doesn't quite stretch to getting him onboard. He is absolutely class though and a pleasure to watch.

What is your lifelong footballing dream? And how much closer have to you come to fulfilling that by becoming Newcastle United captain?

From Jake Potter

FC: To be part of the team that wins the World Cup, but after that it is to lift a trophy for Newcastle United. And yes, being captain of this club makes me immensely proud.

If you could pick any player you have ever played with to be a teammate at Newcastle United, who would it be and why?

From Adam Smith

FC: Aside from Messi, who I've already mentioned, there were three or four lads at AC Milan who were absolutely top quality.

Players like Clarence Seedorf, Filippo Inzaghi, Leonardo and Paolo Maldini - any of them!

Did you think you struggled a little bit in your first year in the Premier League and what parts of your game do you believe you have improved since?

From Matt Lewis

FC: The first year a foreign player spends in a new country is always hard but I think I did okay. But yes, I have improved as I have learnt more about the pace of the game, the way English teams play, the hustle and bustle and of course I am more settled.

When you were named as captain, what did your teammates say to you?

From Sam Archer

FC: Well done and congratulations. They were all very happy for me and that's something I really appreciated.

You won Olympic gold yourself, are you looking forward to games being played in Newcastle in 2012?

From Tom Weald

FC: Winning Gold in Athens was a fabulous experience and I think it's terrific that the games are coming to England and to St. James' Park in particular. The quality of football is very high and it will be great for our supporters to watch.

How does the passion for football compare in Argentina and England?

From Sarah Johnston

FC: I have to say it is very similar. The noise, the passion, the love for your team in Boca is like Newcastle - and that's exactly how I like it to be.

Who was your football hero when you were growing up, and which player in the world do you admire most now?

From Helen Long

FC: Well Diego Maradona was everyone's hero, as was Daniel Passarella who captained the 1978 World Cup team even though I wasn't born then. Players like Oscar Ruggeri and Nestor Lorenzo who played in the 90s and were defenders like me were players I admired. Now it's probably Jonas Gutierrez!

Do you see the increased responsibility of being captain as a way back into the Argentina national team? Or are you just focussed on being the best captain you can for Newcastle United at the moment?

From Martin Carrick

FC: I hope to get back in the team but of course that is up to the coach. As you say my focus is entirely on Newcastle United and if anything happens after that, it is a bonus.

I think you had such a great season last year. What was your personal highlight from last season?

From Carly Dawson

FC: I enjoyed the two goals I scored, I loved the derby games, the second half of the Arsenal game but most of all I guess it was playing consistently week in, week out.

What is the one thing about Newcastle United that makes you want to play every game, the one thing that keeps you happy in the North-East?

From Hunter Bell

FC: I love the club, the fans, the stadium, the Premier League. It's not just one thing, it's the whole mix of things added up.

Having recently lost some of our English players and instead bringing in foreign players, do you think this will have any influence on the fantastic spirit the team has had for the last two seasons?

From Michael Soogaard

FC: Yes the team spirit was great over the last two years but in my view it still is and that's something we need to keep as we move towards the start of the season. We have a lot of very good people, good characters at the club and that is important.

In the past, squads with a large international contingent have naturally segregated into national or same-language groups. As captain, how do you plan to keep the squad whole rather than lots of smaller groups? i.e.: Spanish, French, English etc…

From Steve Harris

FC: The new lads have settled in very well and mix well with everyone. Of course I'm close to Jonas (Gutierrez) and Jose (Enrique), while Hatem (Ben Arfa) may speak to Yohan (Cabaye) or Demba (Ba) more - that's natural.

But as a whole we all mix very well and get along great - and as captain that delights me.

Who has been the toughest forward you have faced during your time in English football, and why?

From Andy Lowe

FC: There are a few. (Didier) Drogba, because of his strength and ability to shoot from anywhere, (Wayne) Rooney, because he is so clever and often drifts deep so you can't pick him up, and I also found Daniel Sturridge a handful too. He has quick feet and was sharp and unpredictable.

Is it nice when the supporters sing a song about you and has this happened at any of your other clubs?

From Richard Bateman

FC: It's great, I think it shows they like me. It's the first time it's happened to me and I must say it make be smile and feel warm inside.

I'm fascinated by your hair and think it's great, how do you look after it and how long does it take?

From Rebecca Harding

FC: It's top secret, I'm sorry! It's been like that for years now and will be too - I have no plans to get it cut, it's just me.

Have you any superstitions before a game?

From Ben Traynor

FC: Not really. I know some lads do but it's something I've never done and never had the need to do.

What attributes do you think you can bring to the team as captain both on and off the pitch?

From Simon Cooper

FC: I set a good example by firstly playing as well as I can, and if I can see anyone needs help on the field then it's my job to help them the best I can.

I am professional in everything I do and expect that to rub off on everyone else.

What do you think of the handful of fans that ran onto the pitch at the Darlington match? Have they knocked the club's reputation?

From Adam Harris

FC: I wasn't there myself but obviously it was a very unfortunate situation that should never have happened. There is no excuse at all for running on to the pitch and I know the club are looking to take action against those fans who gave our club a bad name.

Are we good enough for the top ten this season?

From Hilmar Petursson

FC: Well we almost made it into the top ten last season. All I can say is that everyone will be doing their utmost to give the club the most successful season it possibly can.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110723/captain-colo-answers-your-questions_2281670_2399973