Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He looks promising when he manages to have the ball and have the defender square on, but his touch usually allows the defender to get the tackle in, or he kicks it out of play.

That said, he looks very dangerous on the conter attack

We have too much talent in the squad for him to be taking up a place at the moment, we just need to.work out how to fit them in. I think Obertan is the definition of impact sub. Whether It's getting the ball forward more to open up more chances or to keep the pressure off.

He definitely looks quick on the counter attack aye, but I'm yet to see an ability to to play a killer pass or whip an effective ball in.  Barton and Gutierrez were polar opposites as wide men which worked well as it gave us a balance but I'm not sure we can carry 2 wide players with inconsistent delivery and still threaten effectively. 

Gutierrez is clearly the better of the 2 because of his work off the ball and the fact that he doesn't necessarily just pass to the player closest to him.  It's difficult to explain with Jonas, I'm over the fact that he can't shoot or cross and actually rate him fairly highly as I can see the job he does for us and the outlet he gives us.  Hopefully Marveaux's the answer and Obertan can start coming on as sub against tired legs.  Tbf to Obertan he's not been as crap as I thought he'd be.

I get the feeling that Obertan is getting starts ahead of Marveaux because he's a Pardew signing. It's been reported previously that Pardew wanted to sign players with English football experience, and we've seen Shola preferred over Ba, and Obertan over Marveaux. Experience isn't always superior to intelligence and quality though, and I think Marveaux and Ba have a far higher quality pedigree to both Shola and Obertan.

The Ba thing was obviously because of a lack of fitness. I don't think we'll see Shola start again since Ba's performance yesterday was better than any of Shola's performances this season.

I think Obertan is a promising player. He has pace and technique, but he doesn't seem to know what to do when he receives the ball and he doesn't look confident doing whatever he ends up doing. But, I think it's natural for a player who hasn't had much first-team football - especially in the Premiership - and playing in a new team, to look out of place. The potential is there because he looks strong enough, he's certainly fast enough and he can dribble and control the ball. I see him ending up as a better version of Jonas in time, if he develops. He'll become more confident taking players on when he realizes that he's faster/better than most of the fullbacks defending him, and he'll develop his crossing ability with practice. Some of his crosses right now aren't being whipped in so they don't create problems for the defence. But, this will change.

He should be a substitute for league games and and a starter for cup games.  Obviously he has great deal of potential (whether able to materialize or not) and does deserve more playing time than the likes of Guthrie.  I still think 3m is a good deal for him. Not bad as a squad player who can step up for several positions whenever needed.

Guest Dontooner

Would like Obertan to be given more time to transform into a decent player...(get a good resale value like how spurs always manages to sell their's so over the top)

We odd to get use to this..Newcastle is currently a selling club that gives chances to younger players and hope they develop into stars.

I got my doubts if we could ever cement a top 4 finish in the next 10 years, however an europa adventure is very much on the cards if we buy young and breed.....

Need to get it in our heads now...when good offers comes for our players(cant compete salary wise) , we would sell and buy young promising players to replace them...so the fan's philosophy of the club has to change. The young players like Vuck, Gosling , Moyo , Mehdi must be given even more chances to develop or a large gap would left behind when a star player we rely on so much leaves.

Like it or not we have to face reality, Ashely not going sell as long we are in the EPL.....  The club is still exciting in many ways with all these young and talented players coming through. Would be happy to just see us play good football week in week out till we nick a star manager as well...

I get the feeling that Obertan is getting starts ahead of Marveaux because he's a Pardew signing. It's been reported previously that Pardew wanted to sign players with English football experience, and we've seen Shola preferred over Ba, and Obertan over Marveaux. Experience isn't always superior to intelligence and quality though, and I think Marveaux and Ba have a far higher quality pedigree to both Shola and Obertan.

Ba was a Pardew signing.  Carr said as much in his .co.uk interviews.

He seemed to run at players a little bit more yesterday.

Yep, he even managed to dribble past a player or two couple of times....... the problem was his crossing was just awful. He had around 5 or 6 opportunities to get a decent cross in but failed on each occassion.

Wow, some massive comments in here, total shite, waste of money, utter wank etc etc.  Not his biggest fan and can eventually see him out the side unless he improves massively.  Personally, I have been more impressed by him with each game that has gone by and can see a gradual improvement.  He's infuriating at times, final ball is often poor and should take his man on more, but I think he's done ok.  Usually tidy with his passing, when he gets motoring he's fucking rapid, has some good tricks and skills, plus he's got a great leap (even though he does mistime it a bit).  I also think we need Jonas left side to help Raylor and not sure I want Marveaux on the right wing.

Would also play him against Burn, especially if Givet is going to play left back.  Got torn apart against Fulham and Arsenal.

He's an odd one. I like the look of him, his pace, and some of the stuff he does is great, but then he loses the ball and has that blank lost look on his face. :undecided:

Glad that we have him though, just hope to see the wingers shifted around somehow to accomodate Marveaux more in the next few games.