Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

His first appearance for us was up top and he looked dangerous, thought we had something there. Then we started him against Arsenal(?) behind Ba and it was so shit. Either way, decent option for a fourth winger.

He came on against Arsenal and looked useful, he then started a lot of games such as Sunderland, Villa and Wolves away and looked absolutely disgusting.

His major problem for me is his ball retention, he loses it so fucking often. A lot of our possession breaks down when it goes near him.

He came on against Arsenal and looked useful, he then started a lot of games such as Sunderland, Villa and Wolves away and looked absolutely disgusting.

His major problem for me is his ball retention, he loses it so f***ing often. A lot of our possession breaks down when it goes near him.

he's not a ball slinging in winger and seemed held back by hitting 20yds out and being stuck (at that time we had tiote cabaye both playing the same role, no-one hitting the edge of the box from deep). 4-3-3 with at least one of the middle 3 given license to hit the edge of the box would really suit him.........unfortuntaly for him it really suits ben arfa and marveaux aswell.

He suits coming on late in games to race past tired legs, and suits being given the ball when he can run into space rather than having to beat a man himself. Just think whenever you think how bad he was, look at Obertan's price and contribution, then look at Stewart Downing's, then laugh, a lot.

He reminds me of Shola but on the wing. The guy has the tools to be as good as he wants to be but he just doesn't seem to have the hunger and footballing brain to make the extra step. I used to think it was a confidence issue until i saw zero improvement despite his name being an automatic starter on the team sheet.

That might be harsh given his injury problems, but he seems scared shitless once he has done any good work and made it to the opposition box. He seems to lack the confidence in his own ability to shoot or take the last man on, which is crazy given the skills he does have.

I hope he gets fit and proves the doubters wrong, he can do but I think 80% of his future performances depend on his own state of mind, rather than his physical ability.

Guest SweMatt

Plenty of speed, but that's it. Like a rabbit trying to avoid getting hurt.

Last season he started 18 games and came on as a substitute in 5 games. One (1) goal and three assists as a midfielder without any big defensive responsibilities...

He would have to improve passing, physical presence and mental attitude before even being considered a starting eleven. In my humble opinion of course.  :shifty:

Guest firetotheworks

He lacks that cockiness that probably makes him a canny lad, but a footballer that won't fulfill his potential, imo.

You can see he has the talent, he's fast and he has skills, but he doesn't seem to have the self-belief to make it effective, or effective over a sustained period of time.

As a result of that he looks rubbish, the crowd get on at him, and it makes things worse for him.

Obertan is very tidy squad player who we can bring on when the opposing team is tired (à la Walcott) to exploit his pace. I expect he will be quite useful for the large run-in we have this season.

Shouldn't be in starting eleven though unless it is against smaller clubs in the cups and the Europa League.

I wouldn't call him a tidy squad player at Premiership level like, or atleast the level that we are/wish to be.

Hopefully he will improve, but unlike Best/Perch/Raylor he's come from Man Utd, how many players genuinely improve once they've left there?

I wouldn't call him a tidy squad player at Premiership level like, or atleast the level that we are/wish to be.

Hopefully he will improve, but unlike Best/Perch/Raylor he's come from Man Utd, how many players genuinely improve once they've left there?

Simpson.

:tobey:

Can't see him improving at all tbh. Don't agree with anyone who says he's got potential either; he has hardly any attributes whatsoever. He's quick but that is negated by the fact he doesn't have the brain or the confidence to use it. There was no way he should have been low on confidence last season either, considering the amount of faith the manager put into him - so that makes me question his heart.

He's got a touch of flair (which we've seen evidence of on about five occasions). It's daft because that goal at Blackburn was like the anti-Obertan; timed his run, used his pace, then provided a composed and tidy finish once he got into the box.

I think he is crap, the same way Colo, Enrique, Perch, Taylor, etc were all crap

No chance, he's crap, the same way Paul Dalglish, Des Hamilton, Guivarc'h etc. were all crap.

ie, we dont know yet until he actually is crap after a few seasons, or great after a few seasons. too early to tell

Guest MrSundlofer

He's got pace, tricks, flair etc. He just don't know how to use it. He's 23 now - and the next two seasons should be vital for him.