QPR v NUFC - Monday 12th September. Live on Sky (8pm kick-off)

Fatwax

IMO this will be an accurate yardstick to see where you're at. I'd be more impressed if you won this game than any of your other results.

Fulham at home was that game for me, weirdly - even though (or maybe because) it was the easiest game on paper!

As others have said this is exactly the sort of game we always lose.

A win would see us up near the top of the table, we're on a decent run, the opposition have been earmarked to struggle this season, it's live on the telly.

Whenever things look promising NUFC always conspire to f*** it up.

We'll play very poorly and look like a side that doesn't know what it's doing.

1 nowt to QPR.

This. Sums it up perfectly for me... in truth if we managed 2 draws in the next 2 away games it would be decent enough...

IMO this will be an accurate yardstick to see where you're at. I'd be more impressed if you won this game than any of your other results.

Fulham at home was that game for me, weirdly - even though (or maybe because) it was the easiest game on paper!

Definitely.

If we win this, we go 4th with 10 points from 4 matches. That would be just fantastic. And with Ben Arfa coming back very soon too. AMMAGAD. Anyway the 3 points are there for the taking. Howay the lads!

:troll:

No, but seriously. Murder them.

:frantic:

Thing is, and I know this is jinxing it again. If we get out of Loftus Road with 3p, we'll play with no pressure whatsoever for about two months, pretty much only playing lesser teams that will be craving points - something which might help us to play good football and lay the ground for a very decent first half of the season.

Of course this will never happen as Cabaye will break his leg tomorrow in a 50-50 with Barton while Coloccini simultaneously score four own goals.

I expect a lot of abuse for this one.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ryan Taylor should continue at left back for this game?  Santon, while very promising sounding is still a 20 year old from another league who has very little time to bed into a team in a position where communication and working as a unit are absolutely key.  Raylor hasn't disgraced himself and our defense has looked very sound, why piss around with it.

Just to make myself clear I don't see Raylor as a long term solution but I see little benefit in rushing in Santon.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ryan Taylor should continue at left back for this game?  Santon, while very promising sounding is still a 20 year old from another league who has very little time to bed into a team in a position where communication and working as a unit are absolutely key.  Raylor hasn't disgraced himself and our defense has looked very sound, why p*ss around with it.

Just to make myself clear I don't see Raylor as a long term solution but I see little benefit in rushing in Santon.

Finally, somebody with some sense.

p.s. read the Santon thread.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ryan Taylor should continue at left back for this game?  Santon, while very promising sounding is still a 20 year old from another league who has very little time to bed into a team in a position where communication and working as a unit are absolutely key.  Raylor hasn't disgraced himself and our defense has looked very sound, why p*ss around with it.

Finally, somebody with some sense.

p.s. read the Santon thread.

Glad to see I'm not alone!

If the abuse gets too much here I'll cry off there.

If Raylor isn't the long term solution, then why play him? Play the £5 million player in his natural position, not the shit one out of position. If you're not going to play Santon here because of a fear he wont bed in, then when are you going to start? Villa away next up?

Am I the only one who thinks that Ryan Taylor should continue at left back for this game?  Santon, while very promising sounding is still a 20 year old from another league who has very little time to bed into a team in a position where communication and working as a unit are absolutely key.  Raylor hasn't disgraced himself and our defense has looked very sound, why piss around with it.

I think the football has been pretty poor so far in terms of passing and build up and not having full backs who can bring the ball out rather than hoof it is a big reason. We need to get full backs who are comfortable with the ball at their feet into the team sooner rather than later IMO.

If Raylor isn't the long term solution, then why play him? Play the £5 million player in his natural position, not the s*** one out of position. If you're not going to play Santon here because of a fear he wont bed in, then when are you going to start? Villa away next up?

Spot on. What's the deal with "rushing" him? Did we not rush Cabaye then? Silly talk.

If Raylor isn't the long term solution, then why play him? Play the £5 million player in his natural position, not the s*** one out of position. If you're not going to play Santon here because of a fear he wont bed in, then when are you going to start? Villa away next up?

Spot on. What's the deal with "rushing" him? Did we not rush Cabaye then? Silly talk.

Every player is different.

It's up to Pardew and the coaching team to assess whether Santon is strong enough to step in straight away.

Well perhaps after he's had more than a couple of days training with the squad.  If you're being especially cautious you could blood him in the league cup, or the last 20-30 of a game if we're up (not saying we should do either, my feeling would be next weekend).  You seem to have missed my fundamental point, or equally likely I didn't make it clear enough.  It is entirely because I see Santon as a long term solution that I'm advocating a cautious approach to introducing him to a team.  Most top 10 teams don't throw new signings straight into the mix, especially not defenders, there probably is some logic/experience behind their method.  Think back to how both Evra and Vidic were after they were put straight in the Man U team after being signed in January, those are two of the best defenders in the world.

Guest bimpy474

Thing is, Santon is brought in as a starter. As Enriques replacement (at least until january @ LB). He is obviously match fit, so why not play him?

Because the team is unbeaten in 4 games, has conceded just 2 goals, and the player whose position he is to fill has scored two goals and been part of good defensive performances, added to the fact that it gives you a little leeway to ease Santon in, as a new foreign player just settling in the area, house hunting, learning the language, getting used to his new teammates and manager/coaches ?.

Just a thought.

My thoughts exactly, hes been with his team mates for nearly 2 weeks now. Time to stick him in. A match v QPR is as good a starting point as any.

It's a similar type of game to the Fulham one really, in the sense that it's one that we'd normally not come away from with 3 points, that we probably should, so hopefully it'll be the same outcome to the Fulham game. Another factor is that QPR have made a few signings since they last played so it depends how they all fit in if they play, and if they really come to impress at their new club, which would make the game harder than possibly expected.

Guest bimpy474

My thoughts exactly, hes been with his team mates for nearly 2 weeks now. Time to stick him in. A match v QPR is as good a starting point as any.

He's only been with them for a few days, he was away with the Italian under 21's, possibly only got to train from last Wednesday / Thursday.