Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Simpson is the better defender (though I don't think there's as much in it as some people like to make out) but the flip side is that you have the ball less because he's much less inclined to try and find a man in space or contribute in any way when you actually have the ball. Having Simpson in the side against teams where you hope to be attacking is incredibly frustrating.

Ryan Taylor still gets some very silly criticism given his contribution this season, both offensively and otherwise.

You initiated the argument without providing an explanation, not me.

I havn't said otherwise :lol:

Anyhow, bold part two: Has Simpson?

I don't think he's 'far better defensively than Simpson', either. He had some stinkers against the big guns and was rightly dropped, but Simpson hasn't covered himself in glory all season. And when you consider the latter offers absolutely fuck all going forward, Taylor should play imo.

Santon and Raylor are our best right-back and left-back, so that's why i would play them.

I've yet to see Simpson totally embarassed in the way I have Taylor, he's had poor games (especialy earlier on in the season) but there's never been any SWP/Sturridge moments where i'm thinking "Simpson, where the fuck are you?" about 7-8 times in 45 minutes. Ryan Taylor also has Jonas covering his arse (who had the gall to come inside once against Man City, leading to Richards having about 30 yards of space to the left of our box).

Your last sentance is an opinion I disagree with. I've seen Santon play a handful of times and always on the left and he's shown nothing to suggest he is a better defender than Simpson.

Anyhow, bold part two: Has Simpson?

I don't think he's 'far better defensively than Simpson', either. He had some stinkers against the big guns and was rightly dropped, but Simpson hasn't covered himself in glory all season. And when you consider the latter offers absolutely fuck all going forward, Taylor should play imo.

Santon and Raylor are our best right-back and left-back, so that's why i would play them.

I've yet to see Simpson totally embarassed in the way I have Taylor, he's had poor games (especialy earlier on in the season) but there's never been any SWP/Sturridge moments where i'm thinking "Simpson, where the fuck are you?" about 7-8 times in 45 minutes. Ryan Taylor also has Jonas covering his arse (who had the gall to come inside once against Man City, leading to Richards having about 30 yards of space to the left of our box).

Your last sentance is an opinion I disagree with. I've seen Santon play a handful of times and always on the left and he's shown nothing to suggest he is a better defender than Simpson.

Fair dos. Agree to disagree, then.

Sorry, i get what you mean by that now. ("Shouldn't like", ad infinitum) :laugh:

Yorkie's right. It should be Santon and Ryan Taylor tomorrow.

:thup:

R.Taylor shades it due to ability to stick in a cross and his set pieces.

If I have to watch another of Cabaye's corners I may just cry :laugh:

I think I remember Ryan Taylor starting at RB against Man U at home during the relegation season.

It's not a happy memory.

I think I remember Ryan Taylor starting at RB against Man U at home during the relegation season.

It's not a happy memory.

Gave away a clumsy penalty.

Guest neesy111

It's not a happy memory.

Gave away a clumsy penalty.

Nope.  He actually gave away a goal from a dreadful backpass.

Lost 2-1

It's not a happy memory.

i remember colo starting many games that season that weren't happy memories, doen't mean much now.

The implications are exactly the same for Ryan Taylor, though. Honestly, what a pointless post, Madras.

how ? is there much to learn from someones play that long ago ?

is there much to choose between simpson or raylor at RB?

Think Simpson and Taylor have different strengths/weaknesses when it comes to defending. Namely:

Simpson is the better defender when the ball is played behind him and his opponent doesn't have it yet. He has enough pace to recover the situation, is usually in a decent position to be able to do so, and also has the ability to slide in to get to the ball first. Taylor by comparison is at his worst in these situations, as he's too slow to catch up to anyone with a bit of pace and is often caught ridiculously out of position in the first place.

Taylor is the slightly better defender when his man has the ball in front of him. He has more confidence to go in for the tackle/block, and generally closes down more aggressively like a normal fullback at this level does. Simpson by contrast backs off to downright criminal extents, and frequently ends up doing absolutely nothing to stop crosses coming in from his flank (or the man running at him cutting in and going for goal/passing it into a dangerous area).

Therefore, who the better or worse defender is depends on the opposition. If we're up against a team with pace on the flanks, Raylor will need to be out there on the pitch with half a tub of Vaseline squeezed up his rectum. If we're up against a team with players who are likely to run at Simpson or have a fullback double up on him, Danny will end up looking more cowardly than the lion from Wizard of Oz.

Personally, I'd prefer us to try Raylor down the right (with Santon at left back), mainly because I'm guessing Raylor would be less exposed (and far more comfortable) down the right flank. From an attacking viewpoint it'd also be a pretty good opportunity for us to try Jonas + Raylor on the right flank, with Raylor overlapping and providing some decent crosses from the right flank for once, and Santon + Ben Arfa down the left.