Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Provided we stay up and this takeover goes through of course...

McGinn - Very good centre midfielder, strengthens an area in which we’re solely lacking

Fraser - Out of contract in the summer at Bournemouth, excellent player

Edouard - We’re clearly desperate for a goalscorer and despite playing in an inferior league, I think this guy has the quality we’re looking for

We won’t be able to drastically overhaul the team in just a couple windows, hopefully it will be a gradual evolution

Keeper:

Not needed right now.

Center backs:

Not needed right now.

Fullbacks:

We need better fullbacks on both sides, but we have loads of fullbacks on the books already. Yedlin, Manquillo, Krafth, Willems, Rose and Dummett. Since Rose and Willems are loans, I'd focus on getting in a quality left back as first priority and stick with the current right backs for another season.

Central midfield:

We lack someone that can make things happen from midfield. Graelish would be perfect as a first priority target for midfield. Let Hayden, Shelvey, Longstaffs battle it out for the more holding duties in midfield for another season.

Wingers:

Not a priority position with ASM and Almiron here. Maybe look for an available stop gap reserve/bench player that adds more to the team than Atsu and Ritchie. Maybe it's possible to make Lazaro a permanent transfer if he impresses in training/future matches.

Striker: We need one. Main part of any transfer budget should go towards a new striker.

Overall priority for next season:

1. Striker

2. Attacking central midfielder

3. Left back

4. Back-up winger

Maybe in the context of the people hopefully taking over, this is a bit unambitious, but I don't expect them to go full Chelsea/Man City. I think it would potentially ruin the joy of any future success for me personally. If we manage to improve the team gradually, which in turn gradually improves the quality of football and results I am happy with that. Getting three quality players in those first three positions would also have a positive effect on the other players already here. I think that should be enough to be comfortably top half of the table, maybe competing for EURO cup next season provided we have a decent manager.

I'd sell/release the following:

*All valuations are for a post-corona market/allowing for reduced transfer budgets so may look on the low side for both sale and purchases.

- Shelvey £8m

- Ritchie £6m

- Colback free

- Rob Elliot free

- Darlow £1m

- Gayle £8m

- Krafth £1m

- Atsu £4m

- Carroll free

That gives me £28m income, reduction in wages and an overall budget of £128m.

For me;-

Max Aarons - £18m

Merino - £22m (think him and Longstaff under Rafa would be immense).

Rondon - £12m (teacher for Joelinton who stays for me for the time being at least)

Martinez - £18m (Replacement for Carroll/Gayle)

N'Soki - £15m

Grealish - £40m

That spend brings me to £125m and I'll use the £3m leftover on potatoes to throw at anyone in the stands who sung a pro-Bruce song at any point.

No way are we getting £8M for Gayle, all championship clubs will be near broke after this.

He's still a guarantee of goals and that might be a huge advantage in respect of getting to the big money of the PL. I'd imagine there'd still be some ambitious owners/gamblers prepared to take that chance imho.

No way are we getting £8M for Gayle, all championship clubs will be near broke after this.

Agree due to his age and his fitness issues his stock has fallen further he is a 5m player at best, more than likely if we want his squad place I can see us being happy with a loan fee of 2 million just to get him off the books.

Would like Upamecano from RB Leipzig, reportedly looking for a move to the Prem and Moussa Diaby or Leon Bailey from Bayer Levekusen. Think Havertz will go to a much more established club.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/endendevertraege

I'd be looking in the expiring contract market, some immense players on the wrong side of 30s but miles better than what we currently have, bigger sign on fees instead of over inflated transfer prices and competitive salary,perhaps for some of these guys it will be their last moves and what better time to get involved in a new project.(Potentially leading to club jobs after)

And the following 2021 contract expiring players list is even better should they not agree new deals with their current clubs.

I'd be looking in the expiring contract market, some immense players on the wrong side of 30s but miles better than what we currently have, bigger sign on fees instead of over inflated transfer prices and competitive salary,perhaps for some of these guys it will be their last moves and what better time to get involved in a new project.(Potentially leading to club jobs after)

And the following 2021 contract expiring players list is even better should they not agree new deals with their current clubs.

while I agree with the sentiment of being sensible and our approach of them having to be of a certain age to sign was wrong and did hurt us. We no longer have to settle or wheel and deal to the extent we once did and while yes there may be some players there that could " do a job" we want to get players the manager wants for the short/medium/long term and if none of those are on that free list I dont think thats a bad thing.

Luka Jovic was mentioned on the last page and that'd be both great and realistic.

How? :lol: He's had half a season with Real Madrid after being purchased for £60m. Any particular reason why they'd part ways with him that soon?

Luka Jovic was mentioned on the last page and that'd be both great and realistic.

How? :lol: He's had half a season with Real Madrid after being purchased for £60m. Any particular reason why they'd part ways with him that soon?

He’s trouble and they’ve had enough of him already. 

while I agree with the sentiment of being sensible and our approach of them having to be of a certain age to sign was wrong and did hurt us. We no longer have to settle or wheel and deal to the extent we once did and while yes there may be some players there that could " do a job" we want to get players the manager wants for the short/medium/long term and if none of those are on that free list I dont think thats a bad thing.

Have you seen who's available.

We will not be just going and buying anyone, if they're under contract and the club in question don't wish to sell it won't happen. Plus players perhaps will not wish to move here until there's some proven success, it didn't happen overnight for Man City or Chelsea, plus they had a much more lenient ffp at the time.

Now things are stricter and we will be under the microscope based on what we do and how we go about it, as soon as you step out of line Chelsea transfer ban, City champions league ban, will start lodging complaints.

I think looking at some of those top players available in the current season, and what could be nabbed in 2021 it's a good business avenue. I hear you though, almost like Rafa Benitez was already in the hot seat in your mind, and he would be choosing the right players for his style, he has worked with the likes of Willian,Mertens, though👍🏻

Have you seen who's available.

We will not be just going and buying anyone, if they're under contract and the club in question don't wish to sell it won't happen. Plus players perhaps will not wish to move here until there's some proven success, it didn't happen overnight for Man City or Chelsea, plus they had a much more lenient ffp at the time.

Now things are stricter and we will be under the microscope based on what we do and how we go about it, as soon as you step out of line Chelsea transfer ban, City champions league ban, will start lodging complaints.

I think looking at some of those top players available in the current season, and what could be nabbed in 2021 it's a good business avenue. I hear you though, almost like Rafa Benitez was already in the hot seat in your mind, and he would be choosing the right players for his style, he has worked with the likes of Willian,Mertens, though👍🏻

I wasn't questioning your reasoning or logic, I think I just believe we should now be buying players for the style of play, vision and needs of the squad if that happens to be a free player 28/29/30/31 years old and they match the manager/coaches requirement so be it. However it no longer has to be route 1 anymore no longer do we need to seek out weird release clauses or problem players looking to be shifted onto another team.

We now "should" have the capital to say he is the one for us if that requires paying 40/50/60 million we no longer need to go well that's all the money gone for 2 seasons.

WE should be pretty safe with FFP for the first year. We must have credit from the last two seasons under Ashley.

We have been bringing in only what ashley wants to pay for sports misdirect around the ground that can be improved, kit and short sponsors up for renewal is more money again, player sales, possibly bringing back catering and the merchandise along with being a club that is currently in the black.

All this means only small changes can drastically improve our finances coming in thats without a better team getting a higher league place = more money, more season ticket sales = more money.

Very easy to spend dont get me wrong but no wonder they feel ok committing figures like 200m off the bat. 

Would be made up with Willian - vastly underrated player who would add real quality for at least another two seasons.

I agree that old frees is probably not the model to go with, but this is a special case - and the very best transfer policies are case-by-case...

Would be made up with Willian - vastly underrated player who would add real quality for at least another two seasons.

I agree that old frees is probably not the model to go with, but this is a special case - and the very best transfer policies are case-by-case...

Agreed. We've tried that already, it didn't work out well. You get the odd moment of brilliance, but in general lethargic performances. The one positive thing about the current squad is that they work hard for each other. If we start getting in cheap past it players like we did with Duff, Butt, Smith, Geremi, Viduka, Campbell, Johnsen, Capcapa etc. Things won't be better on the field. There are exceptions of course, so it is a matter of evaluating the individual players personality like Benitez did to ensure we add quality on top of effort instead of replacing one for the other. Willian seems like a good shout in that regard.

Struggling to know which posts are sarcastic and which are genuine :lol:

That said, if they do come in and start throwing serious money around, early doors.  Then I suppose it's hard to know what level of player we'd be looking at.  Money talks, I guess.

Struggling to know which posts are sarcastic and which are genuine :lol:

That said, if they do come in and start throwing serious money around, early doors.  Then I suppose it's hard to know what level of player we'd be looking at.  Money talks, I guess.

There will always be a calibre of player (either through integrity or from playing ability) which wont move regardless the wages on offer that may be because they already earn a mint, wont move to your country/area for family, want champions league football.

The calibre below that money does definitely talk, hopefully we still manage to purchase some good eggs, I dont want to go back to the days where we were the players last pay day.

Hopefully we can get back to the days where Newcastle is less of a left field choice and more of a talked about first choice to go to, but that will only happen down the line when the club hopefully moves onwards and upwards.