Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

50m? Is that really going to be our FFP limit?

No it's a complete guess, obviously.

The question asked was how much do you think the potential new owners will spend not what they could spend.

Anyone expecting Man City/Chelsea levels of spending will be in for a disappointment. They’ll not be spending £100m per window :lol:

Why not? We know nothing about their intentions or policies, other than presuming they want success and positive media coverage both in and off the pitch. It could be 100m, it could be 10m.

Because everything that they’ve said so far through the media (steady sensible investment) along with the more researched neutral commentators and journalists (Not a PSG/Man City type scenario) have suggested so for a start.

The question was asked. I give my balanced opinion. £100m a window (£200m a season). No chance.

I don’t think that they’ve said ANYthing through the media yet, either directly or otherwise. People taking about steady sensible investment are only going off their opinion about FFP and the apparent inability to copy the Man City / Chelsea route.

They have. Go check. Nothing official but that’s not how it works until signed.

Same question to you. How much do you think they’ll spend per season?

As I already said, I don’t know how much they’ll be spending. No one does. But as the posts since your comment have stated, 50m doesn’t go a long way these days (Joelinton for 40m...), It’s already being suggested that FFP will be relaxed, the Saudis aren’t a slow and steady type - especially if they want comparisons (and victory over) with the Man City / PSG owners.

What have you learnt from the press about their intentions? I genuinely can’t find anything other than guesswork?

£50m is going to go much much further in the current climate. I suspect (in my opinion) we'll see quite a large investment over the first couple of years, whilst also concentrating on spending money on the club (academy, training ground etc) then long term focus on bringing young players through. A lot depends on who the DOF and manager are I guess.

is there anything concrete on the "FFP more relaxed for new owners" stuff i keep seeing?

I don’t think it’s official yet, but with lack of match day revenue, loss of ticket sales, loss of broadcasting money, potential loss of league money etc etc, it seems fairly certain that FFP will either be relaxed or suspended for a period of time (2 years has been talked about) in order for struggling clubs to remain and pay staff/players etc. It certainly makes sense theoretically, but the advantage for ‘well off’ clubs is obvious.

https://www.football-addict.com/en-us/article/home/uefa-entertaining-financial-fair-play-relaxation-amid-coronavirus-difficulties/5e8df7c912fb4645820a4d73

As things stand, the maximum we are allowed to spend is ~£100m in a season. This includes wages and agent payments. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. 

Our low revenue means that if the owners want to spend more than that from the off, we'll need one of those absurd sponsorship deals in the next couple of years. Such income is treated as "Club Own Revenue", therefore can be spent in its entirety, as far as the Premier League's concerned. The PL's regulations don't seem very strict.. iirc the only club that has been punished for over-spending in the EPL is QPR.. and they were a basket case.

UEFA's FFP is much stricter, featuring hard-caps and the rules are actually being enforced. They've penalised PSG and City over "unfair value of sponsorship" several times now.

That said, if fucking MBS decides he's spending on players, he'll find a way to spend on players.

As things stand, the maximum we are allowed to spend is ~£100m in a season. This includes wages and agent payments. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. 

Our low revenue means that if the owners want to spend more than that from the off, we'll need one of those absurd sponsorship deals in the next couple of years. Such income is treated as "Club Own Revenue", therefore can be spent in its entirety, as far as the Premier League's concerned. The PL's regulations don't seem very strict.. iirc the only club that has been punished for over-spending in the EPL is QPR.. and they were a basket case.

UEFA's FFP is much stricter, featuring hard-caps and the rules are actually being enforced. They've penalised PSG and City over "unfair value of sponsorship" several times now.

That said, if fucking MBS decides he's spending on players, he'll find a way to spend on players.

What’s our commercial income like compared with the likes of Everton & West Ham? You’d think sponsorship deals somewhere between what they bring in and what Spurs make would be realistic given the new wealth and profile of the club.

Guest neesy111

Btw, have people not realised we are in the biggest economic shock for several centuries now.  Football is not going to be the same way financially after this at all.  Clubs are going to find new commercial deals at same value to be hard to find.

Aston fucking Villa spent 100m last summer as a newly promoted team, but we're looking to cap our spending at 50m? No way man, that would have been Ashley esque figures.

As for transfer targets, get Isak from Sociedad :fwap:

The question asked was how much do you think the potential new owners will spend not what they could spend.

Anyone expecting Man City/Chelsea levels of spending will be in for a disappointment. They’ll not be spending £100m per window :lol:

Plenty of other clubs spend that amount

The truth is none of us know how much they'll be spending, so theres no need for anybody to go on as if they have the correct answer.

£50m??  1 Joelinton + 2 Joselu's = Royally fucked

I think we will spend more initially but say after this hinted 3 year cycle of spending we are higher up the league with a genuinely better squad after that if we then go into a period of replacing old players and adding a quality addition here or there 50m plus player sales may well be fine.

I agree with you though bigger spends are required early on due to neglect/poor investment etc

Plenty of other clubs spend that amount

The truth is none of us know how much they'll be spending, so theres no need for anybody to go on as if they have the correct answer.

No one is going on as if they have the correct answer. Someone asked the question what did people think the amount would be. Like you would on a football forum. I offered my balance opinion as I usually do on this football forum.

Sounds like you think there’s no need for the forum or any offering of opinions allowed :lol:

Why not? We know nothing about their intentions or policies, other than presuming they want success and positive media coverage both in and off the pitch. It could be 100m, it could be 10m.

Because everything that they’ve said so far through the media (steady sensible investment) along with the more researched neutral commentators and journalists (Not a PSG/Man City type scenario) have suggested so for a start.

The question was asked. I give my balanced opinion. £100m a window (£200m a season). No chance.

I don’t think that they’ve said ANYthing through the media yet, either directly or otherwise. People taking about steady sensible investment are only going off their opinion about FFP and the apparent inability to copy the Man City / Chelsea route.

They have. Go check. Nothing official but that’s not how it works until signed.

Same question to you. How much do you think they’ll spend per season?

As I already said, I don’t know how much they’ll be spending. No one does. But as the posts since your comment have stated, 50m doesn’t go a long way these days (Joelinton for 40m...), It’s already being suggested that FFP will be relaxed, the Saudis aren’t a slow and steady type - especially if they want comparisons (and victory over) with the Man City / PSG owners.

What have you learnt from the press about their intentions? I genuinely can’t find anything other than guesswork?

I appreciate you don’t know. No one does. I was asking what you were thinking figure wise as I’m guessing you are expecting a lot more than me?

I think what will change is what you get for £50m. I’d think it be more than what you would’ve got last season in one sense but maybe not for us.. My hope is we get a very good Director of Football who can spend whatever money we have wisely as no doubt we’ll be quoted a lot higher price than we would of these last few years.

Oddly having Carr back on board wouldn’t be such a bad thing as if we had went all in for his No.1 choices on his list I think people would look at him very differently.

People will be trying to gouge us but I’m certain the inflation we saw in football the most recent years is long gone for the foreseeable future. Unless you have a strong balance sheet and owner you are going to need liquidity sooner than later. From that point of view, £75-100M could go a very long way.

Would love to see us go after some top tier out of contract big names and then pair that with a marquee signing or two. You’d imagine that (for example) a Mertens or Willian on a free with a top tier CM or CF would be massive to the team.

Absolutely LFFE O0

A top class manager is all the more important then imo. Someone who can fully develop and get the best, the last drop of everything from each squad member. Rafa is the man for me.

Liking what I am reading about this chap Nagelsmann too (though admit to being very ignorant of him and his team/s)

If, as is expected, there is some kind of reduction in the insanity of transfer fees/player movement/spending power etc we will maybe get to see how good some of these 'great' managers are.

I'd argue that Rafa (or someone of similar ability) with this current squad and one or two half decent additions would probably have us top 10 without breaking sweat. The gap to those positions is only a few points - only takes a few of the shitty home 0-0s converted into wins and we'd be sat there already.

I'd argue that Rafa (or someone of similar ability) with this current squad and one or two half decent additions would probably have us top 10 without breaking sweat. The gap to those positions is only a few points - only takes a few of the shitty home 0-0s converted into wins and we'd be sat there already.

Definitely, not far off top 6.

Not that I don't want players, but we don't need to rush it necessarily.

Definitely, not far off top 6.

Not that I don't want players, but we don't need to rush it necessarily.

It’s all about positive and astute recruitment for me - recognising you have positions of weaknesses and addressing them accordingly - having a proper left and right back for starters will make a huge difference

if we are going through Carr's recommendations I would take Lacazette

Lacazette would be a good striker for us. Still have a few good years left and has experience in the PL.

Would only get better if he knew he was the main striker.