Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Lallana, Mertens & Cavani, all on free, all players who would catapult us forward. I'd also take Fraser from Bournemouth.

Now wages aren't a problem and neither is age, we could plug gaps easily enough for little outlay.

Seen a few mentions for Merino lately and I don't get it myself.

Potential to be a bloody good player obviously. But he didn't want to wait around for his chance at Dortmund, wasn't happy at needing to fight his way back in to our side after injury to the point he wouldn't even give us a second season. Fair enough; his prerogative. But I'd simply be wary at investing any time and energy in him tbh.

Thought it’d be interesting to look back at City and Chelsea’s transfers when they first got taken over:

City - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281/saison_id/2008

Chelsea - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-chelsea/transfers/verein/631/saison_id/2003

There’s a right mixture. Interesting that Chelsea were taking players from Real, Inter and Man Utd and City from Real and Chelsea.

Not sure what the parallels would be to the likes of Veron, Crespo, Makélélé and Robinho in today’s game.

How much will the owners spend on transfer fees?

I’d imagine £50m a year. Can’t see it being big money like City or Chelsea back in the their hay day.

If they increase the revenue streams then you are looking at least £70m a season easy - our income from non TV is pathetic

No it's a complete guess, obviously.

As long as we have at least 100m to spend per window that should be enough to put the wheels in motion regarding improving squad quality. Once we then create additional income we should be able to gradually increase it.

As long as we have at least 100m to spend per window that should be enough to put the wheels in motion regarding improving squad quality. Once we then create additional income we should be able to gradually increase it.

Especially if we have a model of buying any older players meaning potentially we need to cycle through upgrading the squad (on going concern) as well as replace older players.

50m? Is that really going to be our FFP limit?

Nah, it's around £100m. FFP dictates that over 3 years, you can't have £5m more expenditure than income but even still, and owner can still inject £30m to pull that expenditure back down so it's technically £35m. And, due to Ashley being so tight, our net spend over the last 3 years is relatively small especially compared to other PL clubs.

The question asked was how much do you think the potential new owners will spend not what they could spend.

Anyone expecting Man City/Chelsea levels of spending will be in for a disappointment. They’ll not be spending £100m per window :lol:

The question asked was how much do you think the potential new owners will spend not what they could spend.

Anyone expecting Man City/Chelsea levels of spending will be in for a disappointment. They’ll not be spending £100m per window :lol:

Why not? We know nothing about their intentions or policies, other than presuming they want success and positive media coverage both in and off the pitch. It could be 100m, it could be 10m.

Why not? We know nothing about their intentions or policies, other than presuming they want success and positive media coverage both in and off the pitch. It could be 100m, it could be 10m.

Because everything that they’ve said so far through the media (steady sensible investment) along with the more researched neutral commentators and journalists (Not a PSG/Man City type scenario) have suggested so for a start.

The question was asked. I give my balanced opinion. £100m a window (£200m a season). No chance.

Because everything that they’ve said so far through the media (steady sensible investment) along with the more researched neutral commentators and journalists (Not a PSG/Man City type scenario) have suggested so for a start.

The question was asked. I give my balanced opinion. £100m a window (£200m a season). No chance.

I don’t think that they’ve said ANYthing through the media yet, either directly or otherwise. People taking about steady sensible investment are only going off their opinion about FFP and the apparent inability to copy the Man City / Chelsea route.

I don’t think that they’ve said ANYthing through the media yet, either directly or otherwise. People taking about steady sensible investment are only going off their opinion about FFP and the apparent inability to copy the Man City / Chelsea route.

They have. Go check. Nothing official but that’s not how it works until signed.

Same question to you. How much do you think they’ll spend per season?

The problem with the "slow and steady" option is that it's going to take years to get to the place PIF want to be. "£50m a year" is one single not-elite-level player. We're never going to break into the top 4 that way.

If the Saudi royal family's dealings with WWE are anything to go by, they love to splash the cash ridiculously. They also love grounding planes at the airport and holding entire rosters hostage as a retaliation for WWE cutting off their live feed in Saudi one time.

I think what they've said is they intend to work inside the confines of FFP. That doesnt mean they can't throw in lots of sponsorship deals e..g Aramco, Vision 2030, PIF, and Saudia to increase our income and then we still would be within FFP.

I think what they've said is they intend to work inside the confines of FFP. That doesnt mean they can't throw in lots of sponsorship deals e..g Aramco, Vision 2030, PIF, and Saudia to increase our income and then we still would be within FFP.

Plus there are concessions for new owners, plus the talk of relaxing FFP to help world football through the coronavirus, plus the possibility of prices deflating because clubs have cash-flow problems.

Not saying it's going to happen, but the stage is certainly set for a spree.

They have. Go check. Nothing official but that’s not how it works until signed.

Same question to you. How much do you think they’ll spend per season?

As I already said, I don’t know how much they’ll be spending. No one does. But as the posts since your comment have stated, 50m doesn’t go a long way these days (Joelinton for 40m...), It’s already being suggested that FFP will be relaxed, the Saudis aren’t a slow and steady type - especially if they want comparisons (and victory over) with the Man City / PSG owners.

What have you learnt from the press about their intentions? I genuinely can’t find anything other than guesswork?