Newcastle Utd vs Wigan Athletic pre-match thread (22/10/11 @ 3pm)

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

I think somebody mentioned earlier, good management is about raising the level by implementing change before it is actually needed i.e. Marveaux for Obertan and Santon for one of the full backs.

This way we optimise the team with the players we have at our disposal, we could even go as far to say Ben Arfa for Best, although he merits his place so far. it will only take a bad game to replace him, but quite happy to bring him on for another half hour to get him up to speed, then we can decide who plays better as a partnership: Best Ba or Benarfa Ba

My Team for Wigan:

-----------------Krul--------------

Santon--Tayls---Colo----Rayls

Marveaux--Cabaye--Tiote--Jonas

--------------Best----Ba--------

My team:

----------------------------Krul------------------------------

R.Taylor---------S.Taylor-----Collocini---------Santon

Jonas---------- Cabaye-------Tiote---------Marveaux

-------------------------Ben Arfa---------------------------

-----------------------------Ba------------------------------

Got a feeling this game won't be as straightforward as some are making out. They've got a canny record up here and this is just the sort of game where we tend to slip up. Crucial that we get the win on Saturday with the games we've got coming up in the next 6 weeks so i'd be delighted with a scrappy 1-0 win. 19 points after 9 games would just be unbelievable.

Never bother with line-ups but fuck it, we should be going for the throat with this one. Ben Arfa is fit, now's as good as any time to bring him in. Risky making 3 changes, but I'd go with:

Krul

Santon, Saylor, Colo, Raylor

Marveaux, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Maybe start Obertan instead of Marveaux so as not to disrupt the team too much...

The only thing I'm worried about is if they come here and try to 'park the bus' and just shut up shop from the beginning. If that leads to us getting frustrated it could be a nervy afternoon. But, I'm sure it won't come to that- we have enough quality to see them off like.

I'd definitely start with Ben Arfa and Marveaux in this.

Al Habsi is a good keeper so they may frustrate us. We should have enough to win the game though.

With the CC game soon after, Pardew should be giving all the new lads a go in the next week or so. It doesn't really matter which way around. I just hope he doesn't start Loven again when the others are fit.

Their defence is a right mess at the moment, lets keep our high defensive line and really test their backline as much as possible, should comfortably be able to score.

Al-Habsi is alright but one of those keepers that looks good from defense letting lots of shots go at him, which he can then save.

Krul

Santon, Saylor, Colo, Raylor

Marveaux, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

This. Freshen it up a little with the new boys, they'll be desperate to play so should turn in a performance to try and make sure they keep their place.

I'll be delighted if Santon gets a start, really looking forward to seeing what he is all about.

I think people are right when they say Simpson should be the one dropped, especially since Raylor will be playing against his old club but do we move Taylor over to the right and put Santon in at left back.

I'll be delighted if Santon gets a start, really looking forward to seeing what he is all about.

I think people are right when they say Simpson should be the one dropped, especially since Raylor will be playing against his old club but do we move Taylor over to the right and put Santon in at left back.

no