St James' Park

Dave

Don't really get the stadium name thing. They have sponsored our shirts, not bought stadium rights yet have paid to rename the stadium that was named by the guy who already owns it?  :dowiespin:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101229043821/headhuntershorrorhouse/images/3/3d/Exploding_head.gif

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1185312/newcastle-united-ground-called-st-james%27-park-again?cc=4716

The Magpies have confirmed a four-year sponsorship deal with the online lender beginning at the start of the 2013-2014 season which could be worth as much as £15 million a year, according to some estimates.

:kasper:

Now that would be good. Also, for those asking what benefit SD brings us financially a few pages back I would imagine not having to pay interest on a 200+ million loan saves us quite a bit of wonga year on year.

Wonga have now confirmed that they will use their newly-acquired position to give the 120-year-old ground its original name back in a bit to appease fans.

"We listened over the last three days and we saw what really matters to the fans," said a spokesman for Wonga.

"Football is an emotional sport and it is obviously really important to them. We listened to what they wanted and that is why we did it."

:celb:

Don't really get the stadium name thing. They have sponsored our shirts, not bought stadium rights yet have paid to rename the stadium that was named by the guy who already owns it?  :dowiespin:

Clever marketing as well as getting the fans onside.

Where does this sponsorship fit in regards to kids kits/European kits?  Okay for both?

Only alcohol advertisement is banned in France, and tobacco is banned in UEFA competitions (as well as the UK by law), technically Wonga are a finance firm so are no different to Virgin Money in the sense that it can be used across the whole of Europe.

Kids kits can't have alcohol or betting sponsors on in the UK, Wonga again are alright. So unless Wonga give us a gesture and not advertise on kids kits (and have a sponsor less adults shirt which would contradict the sponsorship in the first place.) it is unlikely that we will be given a sponsor less kit option for fans.

Is all the SD shit coming off the stadium then?

No one knows, all we know s that changes will be made by the time the Sunderland game comes around, weather or not that is putting the name back up and taking the SDA ones down or if all SD advertisement is coming down with no replacement or a Wonga replacement is another matter. The assumption is though all SD advertisement will come down and be replaced by Wonga advertisement and the SDA name will come down and be replaced by SJP.

I despise Wonga and any pay day loan company . I'm not changing my moral position now they sponsor our shirts. It's wrong that they are allowed to prey on people who are so desperate that they agree to their outrageous terms, and let's be honest , in the current financial predicament that this country is in, they are not short of customers, forlornly attempting to keep their heads above water.

It's just plain wrong.

Really happy about the stadium name, obviously.

I'm wondering why they're paying to do that though. If their intention is changing the name further down the line, any goodwill will be p*ssed away instantly. Maybe it's just because they have noted the negative reaction to their name being mentioned in the first place. Seems suspicious though.

Anyway, until something else like that happens all we can do is judge what has happened so far. Not particularly enamoured by the new shirt sponsor but if it's a better deal for the club then that is good news and them changing the stadium name back is f***ing brilliant. Works for me tbh.

I really don't think they're paying anything for the 'stadium rights'. It was probably used as a sweetener in the deal, by us. Saves us from having the whole thing be perceived as a 'failure' when we inevitably had to admit no one was interested.

Aye, just what I said to me dad. Makes a whole lot of sense from everyone involved.

but I thought there was never any intention for them to sell it or have anyone else use it, them trying to sell it was just a cover story for ashley to get his free advertising for as long as he owns the place ?

anyhow, any numbers being mentioned yet, i now 8mill was mentioned for the shirt sponsorship which was lower than the reported 10mill from virgin ?

The finances of this deal will determine if it's a good deal or a bad deal. I've read figures of 24 million total for the 4 years and 15 million per year. Considering Virgin Money was apparently worth 10 million per year I would find it hard to believe we would have agreed to anything under that amount, especially as we are also changing back the stadium name to SJP as part of the deal, which directly affects Ashley/SD's exposure.

I despise Wonga and any pay day loan company . I'm not changing my moral position now they sponsor our shirts. It's wrong that they are allowed to prey on people who are so desperate that they agree to their outrageous terms, and let's be honest , in the current financial predicament that this country is in, they are not short of customers, forlornly attempting to keep their heads above water.

It's just plain wrong.

Wonga are a rotten company, but have a look around some of the shirts being sponsored around the country. A lot of them are pretty naff really. I can't say I'm thrilled to be associated with such a low life company but it's the way things are going these days. As long as we have got a fairly lucrative deal I can grin and bear it.