Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

13 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Liverpool fans will have that primed and ready the moment a VAR decision goes against them.

tbh that one against spurs was shocking.... enjoyable but shocking

That ref was unbelievably out of his depth today. Had no control on the game. Was like a substitute teacher where the kids were getting away with whatever they wanted 

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That ref was unbelievably out of his depth today. Had no control on the game. Was like a substitute teacher where the kids were getting away with whatever they wanted 

That's a great description. Was going to say he added to the chaos but that's spot on. Players either did or at least felt like they had his number.

Looking back at the penalty I think the linesman flags for a soft free kick and wouldn’t have flagged at all if he thought it was in the area. It resulted in a soft penalty. 

The Lino on the Milburn side was woeful btw.

Yeah. No way is he the reason for the result. But he was awful for both teams, I thought. Seemed to be fine with big challenges that looked like fouls or people grappling and bearhugging. But any slight contact down the wings or when players were falling over with seemingly no contact. He couldn’t wait to blow up. 

I’m sure Bruno and Murphy were both gesturing for him to give a yellow card at one point. But didn’t get booked themselves for doing so. He missed some blatant yellows for them and all. 

He just had the look on his face of someone that was out of their depth. 

I think the yellow card threshold must have changed in some way? 

People seem able to bring someone down and stop a counter now, without getting booked. Used to be automatic. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think the yellow card threshold must have changed in some way? 

People seem able to bring someone down and stop a counter now, without getting booked. Used to be automatic. 

BDB should have done it yesterday.

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Looking back at the penalty I think the linesman flags for a soft free kick and wouldn’t have flagged at all if he thought it was in the area. It resulted in a soft penalty. 

The Lino on the Milburn side was woeful btw.

This is exactly it

The lino is not flagging for a penalty and wouldn't dream of doing so. They always sit on fence and leave it to the ref for penalty calls. 

But the fact he gives a foul means var looks at the penalty through the context a foul

has already been given.

Not sure that logic stacks up but can't complain as Burn was skinned and continued to foul into the box. 

15 hours ago, gbandit said:

Said this during the game and pretty much evetyone around me unanimously agreed. He missed a fair few for both sides.

15 hours ago, gbandit said:

Aye, totally agree. 

I didn’t recognise his name before the game, so he must be relatively new. Looked like a Championship ref.

Can't see it acting as a deterrent for cynical fouls at all so it's largely pointless and just another officiating imposition to be picked over. 

If it cures dissent; woop-de-doo, frankly. 

28 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Can't see it acting as a deterrent for cynical fouls at all so it's largely pointless and just another officiating imposition to be picked over. 

If it cures dissent; woop-de-doo, frankly. 

Surely that’s just going to result in the team down to 10 wasting as much time as possible for the 10 mins, resulting in a less watchable game?

*not taking into account the scoreline and overall time remaining.

Blue cards, sin bins, games on its arse. Far too much influence from the officiating over the actual sport itself. 

The game is passionate, emotions are part of everything that players and fans alike express during the game, removing this just destroys everything.

It just reeks of more corruption to perhaps control or influence results in a way VAR looks like it already is, and on a day where they admitted to 20 wrong VAR decisions, they think this will help.

Edited by mighty__mag

How about they improve the standard of officiating, which is absolutely fucking shamefully poor? That's a better long-term cure for the dissent issue than turning the game into a rugby match with bloody sin bins. 

12 minutes ago, Pilko said:

How about they improve the standard of officiating, which is absolutely fucking shamefully poor? That's a better long-term cure for the dissent issue than turning the game into a rugby match with bloody sin bins. 

I don't find it any worse than it was when in the ground. More cameras pick more up now and the ramped up need for controversy add to it.