Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Best way to get reliability out of players is to bench them.

Rule 1: If a talented player gets a serious injury, bench them as much as possible when they return to full fitness.

Rule 2: Talk them down in the press and say you need to see more of them but when you see more, bench them.

Rule 3: Play him you stupid prat

Guest hatem garrincha

Stolen from a discussion about HBA on Toontastic -

"He has talent but he only expresses it sparingly," said Deschamps, who left Ben Arfa, one of the most talented French players, on the bench for most of the season.

http://football.uk.r...6/LDE6420UJ.php

Marseille President

"Clearly, he is not committed enough physically. He does not do enough for the team, does not sweat enough for the shirt. If that is what Didier [Deschamps - manager] thinks, I cannot contradict him.

"I regret this deeply because, as a player, he has what it takes to be a great.

http://soccernet.esp...=711820&cc=5739

Doesn't seem like it's just Pardew who was 'too scared to play him' or 'must have something against him', he isn't the first manager to have concerns about starting him.

Well yeah, if there weren't previous concerns about him, he'd be a regular in the French national team and be playing for a club in the Champions League.

Cantona had exactly the same problems in France. He left the country for Sheffield Wednesday, then Leeds. He was 26 when he arrived at Manchester.

Guest WashyGeordie

Ben Awful is off in the summer, buy a proper winger as his replacement and were better for it.

No point on keeping hold of Vuckic either, or any central attacking midfielder under Pardew.

:gayfight:

Guest Dontooner

If he's so bothered about Ben Arfa coming infield, why does he steadfastly refuse to try him in the position where he gave his best NUFC performance, wide left? ???

Exactly, put him on the left, but Jonas which is Pardew's ideal sort of player which covers every blade of grass is irreplaceable even when he looks like a donkey in a horse race. Jonas needs a break like every 5 to 10 matches..

Stolen from a discussion about HBA on Toontastic -

"He has talent but he only expresses it sparingly," said Deschamps, who left Ben Arfa, one of the most talented French players, on the bench for most of the season.

http://football.uk.r...6/LDE6420UJ.php

Marseille President

"Clearly, he is not committed enough physically. He does not do enough for the team, does not sweat enough for the shirt. If that is what Didier [Deschamps - manager] thinks, I cannot contradict him.

"I regret this deeply because, as a player, he has what it takes to be a great.

http://soccernet.esp...=711820&cc=5739

Doesn't seem like it's just Pardew who was 'too scared to play him' or 'must have something against him', he isn't the first manager to have concerns about starting him.

Well yeah, if there weren't previous concerns about him, he'd be a regular in the French national team and be playing for a club in the Champions League.

I think the biggest question mark about him is his reliability, both in terms of his use of the ball and his defensive work. We've seen that he's actually quite strong and does on occasion help the defence out well. It's hard to put your finger on it, but he doesn't seem committed to fitting into any kind of role within the team. Sometimes he does what he's supposed to do, and sometimes he doesn't.

Pardew's comments in the Chronicle are criticising Ben Arfa for losing the ball in front of the back four. What I don't understand is what he's doing in front of the back four in the first place. It might be he goes wandering himself in which case he's to blame....but since it's Pardew who's made such a big deal about him tracking back I'd suggest that might have something to do with it.

Guest hatem garrincha

Cantona had exactly the same problems in France. He left the country for Sheffield Wednesday, then Leeds. He was 26 when he arrived at Manchester.

it's a good point mind

I don't know if you remember, he spent a few weeks at Sheffield before joining Leeds.

Trevor Francis asked Cantona to pass a "test" before deciding to sign him or not  :lol:

it's a good point mind

I don't know if you remember, he spent a few weeks at Sheffield before joining Leeds.

Trevor Francis asked Cantona to pass a "test" before deciding to sign him  :lol:

fuck aye that's right :lol:

people wanna think on that type of shit

Is there actually any legitimate reason why he would say these things to the press? I don't understand it at all. All it seems to be doing is (wrongly) turning fans against HBA.

HBA is a news worthy story,  Pardew will get asked questions about him every press conference, which is why we keep getting these stories.  I can't see many of them wanting to know about Raylor or Obertan or Jonas.

If he's so bothered about Ben Arfa coming infield, why does he steadfastly refuse to try him in the position where he gave his best NUFC performance, wide left? ???

Ryan Taylor comes infield, it has nothing to do with that.

Is there actually any legitimate reason why he would say these things to the press? I don't understand it at all. All it seems to be doing is (wrongly) turning fans against HBA.

Pards is an ego-maniac.

"Hey! Let me tell you about this great formation I've discovered...Oh you want to hear about Hatem?

Pards (irritated that his mastery is being overlooked)...Yeah Hatem is a great player, does wonders in training...He's really ace....blah blah..

Makes mental note to drop him for another 5 games.

We'd have got nowhere near the Champions League if Bellamy hadn't turned out to be outrageously good. Who cares?

well taylor was on about pardew in the HBA thread (seemingly) and how one player can make a team better than it should be/actually is

i don't think bellamy quite applies, we had a good team and a quality manager back then

We had a poor defence, a lack of goals in the team, and had just finished 11th.

Listen, Ba came very, very good; Marveaux and Obertan have yet to significantly contribute and Cabaye and Santon are still finding their feet. It evens out.