Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest VaVaVoom

Anybody who thinks he will know be given an extended run in the side is deluding themselves. We've been here before a few times this season..

He was at his best yesterday though. Worked hard and was productive. Turning point imo.

Anybody who thinks he will know be given an extended run in the side is deluding themselves. We've been here before a few times this season..

He was at his best yesterday though. Worked hard and was productive. Turning point imo.

Hope so, doubt so.

More likely than ever he's going to get a chance. That probably still only makes it 60% likely mind.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that Pardew's comments were almost like he was preparing the way for a bigger role for HBA. Maybe he's realised his mistake so far.

If he plays well he'll stay in the side, its on him to keep it up now

What makes you think that? It hasn't happened before, even during the ACN where Pardew generally preferred Best and Shola up top (even though in the summer he said he would only consider Ben Arfa as a second striker) and Raylor and Obertan out wide. I think Pardew is perfectly happy to use Ben Arfa as an impact sub if things don't go our way, as he has been doing in recent weeks.

It did happen before when he came on vs Qpr after Cabayes injury. He started the next 3, he just didnt keep it up after fulham.

As others have said id quite like to see Santon behind him instead, i think theyd combine well & Santon would both cover him better & overlap more effectively.

I think he'll definitely get a chance in the side now, whether he puts in a ropey performance or 2 and then gets dropped for 5 or 6 games is another matter though.

Like the idea of him firing on all cylinders in a last-ditch effort to make the French squad for the EUROs like.

I do think yesterday may have been different like, he spurred us on in the most important game of the season.  If we'd lost that yesterday I would have feared for our form for the rest of the season, Shola's goal could turn out being very pivotal.

Would be fuming as usual if HBA didn't start vs Arsenal. :lol:

His best position in my opinion, is a central playmaker but the team needs to be completely geared towards him to get the best out of that system and I don't think with the personnel we have, it's what's best for the team.

Luckily for us, he's still a very good wide midfielder on either side. I prefer him on the right to be honest, it gives him more options with that glorious left foot. Stick Santon behind him and that's a natural partnership in my opinion, Jonas and Ferguson on the left and that would go a long way to solving our attacking problems. It's certainly what's best for our strikers, they need some more varied service.

I think he'll definitely get a chance in the side now, whether he puts in a ropey performance or 2 and then gets dropped for 5 or 6 games is another matter though.

Like the idea of him firing on all cylinders in a last-ditch effort to make the French squad for the EUROs like.

Yep, this added incentive should properly motivate Ben Arfa to play at his absolute best and prove to Pardew that he really is unplayable on his day. From what I've listened to and read on RMC.fr, quite a few of the French fans do want him in the squad for this summer as well. I actually get the impression that Blanc really likes him so if Ben Arfa does get that run of games, then I reckon that he's definitely an outside bet for the French squad.

Guest Stephen927

It's tough at the minute for him as he's probably being asked to be less selfish, but he's been put into a position where he is limited to sub appearances. The temptation is there for him to force something with every chance he gets, purely to show the manager what he can do.

If his role at the club stays the same this season, I'll be disappointed to see him leave but I don't think we're giving him much option. He has big ambitions, and with respect to Ryan Taylor, to see him starting ahead of you on the wing, must really piss Ben Arfa off. Can see why he most likely feels hard done by.

Bloody typical he'll probably start against Arsenal at the Emirates. Likely outcome is that our entire team hardly touches the ball in the entire game, he takes the flak for it and is binned back down to the bench for the visit of bloody Norwich.

Get the feeling when Ben Arfa starts, Pardew is looking for an excuse to drop him the next game

I don't think he's looking for an excuse, it's just that Pardew isn't naturally a manager who trusts flair players and it doesn't take much for him to revert to safety first when things start going wrong. I thought it was a great insight into two managers different mindset when Keegan said on ESPN he always liked defenders who could bring the ball out and play even though it was riskier from a defensive point of view because of what it gives you going forward.

Can you imagine him ever putting Ryan Taylor, a right back, on the wing in preference to Ben Arfa?

His best position in my opinion, is a central playmaker but the team needs to be completely geared towards him to get the best out of that system and I don't think with the personnel we have, it's what's best for the team.

Luckily for us, he's still a very good wide midfielder on either side. I prefer him on the right to be honest, it gives him more options with that glorious left foot. Stick Santon behind him and that's a natural partnership in my opinion, Jonas and Ferguson on the left and that would go a long way to solving our attacking problems. It's certainly what's best for our strikers, they need some more varied service.

We would have been enjoying another 5-1 type victory instead of salvaging a draw if we had started yesterday with that  line up alongside HBA. 

Bloody typical he'll probably start against Arsenal at the Emirates. Likely outcome is that our entire team hardly touches the ball in the entire game, he takes the flak for it and is binned back down to the bench for the visit of bloody Norwich.

:lol: The clamour for him to be reinstated to the team should then reach it's peak just in time for the trip to Stamford Bridge.

Best position is a free role, outwide he is great but easy to double up on, not that helped the SMB mind :lol: But in a free role team would really struggle to cope with him.

I'd like to see him start on the right with freedom to roam and Jonas being more strict on the other side to provide balance.

Hopefully Pardew agrees  :lol:

Best position is a free role, outwide he is great but easy to double up on, not that helped the SMB mind :lol: But in a free role team would really struggle to cope with him.

I'd like to see him start on the right with freedom to roam and Jonas being more strict on the other side to provide balance.

Simpson is poor enough with cover infront of him, if Benny starts right he has to play right.. a free role wound have to be behind a front two with a three man midfield behind him.

Simpson is poor enough with cover infront of him, if Benny starts right he has to play right.. a free role wound have to be behind a front two with a three man midfield behind him.

I was meaning long term really, ofcourse Simpson is crap so the free role idea would have to put on hold until we have 2 quality fullbacks instead of one.

Jonas covers so much ground that we could technically field a 4-3-1-2/4-4-2 hybrid, but again for this to work we would need quality fullbacks on both sides so again Simpson ruins it  :lol:

I need convicing that Pards has see the light with Hatem, after every good performance he's said the same things about him being brilliant and so on..For me he needs to start 5/6 on the trot which will go some way to making it clear that their is real belief in the player and not just fair weather words.

When has Simpson had cover in front of him?