sunderland

JH

The last time I was in Teeside I almost got into a fight over why I was a Newcastle fan. The locals didn't like that I laughed off the notion of there being many Boro fans in Ireland. I was over there for an engagement party, but the highlight of their night was watching us get thumped 5-1 by Man U. Says all that needs to be said about that lot. :lol:

North-East Top Sad Dogs:

SUNDERLAND is the depression capital of England.

The city has more depressed residents than anywhere else in the country, with one in five Wearsiders suffering from the condition.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/health/sunderland-is-country-s-depression-capital-1-5486369

(for the record, I don't feel good laughing at mental illness....but then I read the article's comments. Clearly SAFC related!)

Depressions a myth. Dont like yoir job....quit and find another, go into education if you must. You dont get somewhere in life sitting around moaning. Dont like being in debt? Stop borrowing from Wonga...sell some of your luxuries and stop buying them until your debts paid. Yes TV, smoking and a Friday night drink is a luxury.

:laugh: Fucking hell. Bet he still walks around accusing people of being witches an all. Such a medieval mentality!

Notice on rtg ATM there's a lot of marra calling, calm before the storm I think.  :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=766328

About to post a huge loss this year, not the best timing.

It amazes me how people are so out of touch with the finances of their own clubs. It's such a crucial part of football life now. They've been losing money for years. The guy who says "every club has debt, it's no big deal" well, yeah, sort of, but if you can't service that debt then you're fucked. Particularly as FFP looms.

It's not really FFP that's the issue here. That's aimed at clubs who want to jump a strata and become a mega-club (Chelsea, Citeh or PSG).

For Sunderland (and even or us a few years ago) the issue is more about financial viability. Can they continue with the existing cost/revenue balance, and will the owner keep propping them up.

Guest GeordieAce

prepare yourselves

DEAR GOD

seen it before.

"gerrrr ta werrrrk in me red an white sherrrrt".  Then gives up attempting to rhyme by just chucking in "everybody stand if you love the burra".

LOL yeah thats the one, stumbled on it tonight. Words can't describe how funny I found it. And how ridiculous

Sad thing is, even though it's a piss take a lot of them have that mentality. I work with a lot of them and I haven't met a set of more deluded cunts in my entire life. I'm not just talking about football either. They all think they're the next big thing.

To balance the books, Sunderland had the opportunity to cash in on their shining lights. They weren’t lacking offers.

Who are these shining lights?  :lol:

Must mean the spotlights outside the ground because they've got fuck all else

To balance the books, Sunderland had the opportunity to cash in on their shining lights. They weren’t lacking offers.

Who are these shining lights?  :lol:

Must mean the spotlights outside the ground because they've got fuck all else

Honestly, took me three times to read that sentence before I realized that wasn't it. :lol:

I noted this on RTG, and it seems to be a recurring topic over there:

I don't think we need to replace MON, I think he needs a good assistant beside him. John Robertson has been with him all his career but O'Neill is missing him something shocking. Neither he gets Robertson to change his mind or get someone else in to help out.

There seems to be a widespread assumption that the difference between the MON they have, and the one Villa had, is the absence of John Robertson, as if he is the missing piece of the jigsaw.

He isn't. Robertson would do even less than Walford at Villa - it was described, by someone who knows, as "standing on the sidelines, smoking, and shouting at people occasionally". Down here the players nicknamed Walford and Robertson "Bibs and Cones", to reflect their input on the training ground.

If the return of Robertson is what they're waiting for, they are barking up entirely the wrong tree.

The one difference between what he is doing there, and what he did with us, is money. Here, he had shed loads of it, year after year, and just bought enough players until - by weight of numbers, and probability - he got enough of them to be able to do something.

At Sunderland, he's got a much poorer choice of players. People forget, when he came to us, he had Sorensen, Mellberg, Barry, Cahill, Laursen, Agbonlahor and Angel.

Not world beaters, but at the very least the spine of a reasonable side. All he had to do was throw millions and millions of pounds at it to make it start to work a bit better for him.

With us, the endless giving it to the wingers and getting it into the box was helped by the fact that Ashley Young and (at the time) Stewart Downing were decent wingers who could deliver. At Sunderland he's pinning his hope on Adam Johnson, who really isn't very good, and, I suspect, Larsson, who is nothing like as good.

That isn't working at Sunderland, so you'd expect him to move to Plan B. The problem is, the only Plan B Martin has any knowledge of is the one you see on MTV.

On top of that, the football world has moved on even more. Setting his team up to play exactly how they did at Leicester in the 1990s was already showing its age in 2006 when he joined us. Nowadays, it is ancient history.

The mackems base the whole Robertson thing on some bullshit romantic notion of it being like Clough and Taylor.

I think it is also because it's easier than admitting the brutal truth about where the problems lie.

I noted this on RTG, and it seems to be a recurring topic over there:

I don't think we need to replace MON, I think he needs a good assistant beside him. John Robertson has been with him all his career but O'Neill is missing him something shocking. Neither he gets Robertson to change his mind or get someone else in to help out.

There seems to be a widespread assumption that the difference between the MON they have, and the one Villa had, is the absence of John Robertson, as if he is the missing piece of the jigsaw.

He isn't. Robertson would do even less than Walford at Villa - it was described, by someone who knows, as "standing on the sidelines, smoking, and shouting at people occasionally". Down here the players nicknamed Walford and Robertson "Bibs and Cones", to reflect their input on the training ground.

If the return of Robertson is what they're waiting for, they are barking up entirely the wrong tree.

The one difference between what he is doing there, and what he did with us, is money. Here, he had shed loads of it, year after year, and just bought enough players until - by weight of numbers, and probability - he got enough of them to be able to do something.

At Sunderland, he's got a much poorer choice of players. People forget, when he came to us, he had Sorensen, Mellberg, Barry, Cahill, Laursen, Agbonlahor and Angel.

Not world beaters, but at the very least the spine of a reasonable side. All he had to do was throw millions and millions of pounds at it to make it start to work a bit better for him.

With us, the endless giving it to the wingers and getting it into the box was helped by the fact that Ashley Young and (at the time) Stewart Downing were decent wingers who could deliver. At Sunderland he's pinning his hope on Adam Johnson, who really isn't very good, and, I suspect, Larsson, who is nothing like as good.

That isn't working at Sunderland, so you'd expect him to move to Plan B. The problem is, the only Plan B Martin has any knowledge of is the one you see on MTV.

On top of that, the football world has moved on even more. Setting his team up to play exactly how they did at Leicester in the 1990s was already showing its age in 2006 when he joined us. Nowadays, it is ancient history.

Great post, the antithesis of the macum head in the sand attitude which still generally prevails.

Robertson is just another excuse along with Bruce etc etc which keeps them in denial of how limited a manager O'Neill really is.

Robbo is a top bloke, a "jack the lad" as a player and thereafter, a trusted mate and confidant, but he brings no more to the table than say Terry McDermott did (if that).

If they wish to progress they need a complete overhaul and restructuring of the coaching and scouting part of their club.

Guest Roger Kint

How many of those were scored/assisted before the switch from midfield to full back?

Shh they dont count silly things like that :lol:

I would imagine anything done from FB will be Free Kicks/Pens anyway

Only three points seperate us and them at present, so on the surface it appears to be very little.

However in the next season or two we could be in very different places.

It's comical considering the first half of our season tbh.

Poor Boro, they're not even worth a thread to take the piss out of and just get a passing mention in the Sunderland thread :lol:

It's really quite sad that they so desperately want us to hate them but we just can't bring ourselves to take them that seriously.