sunderland

JH

When we went down we at least had deadwood to shift that was actually worth something.  We covered our losses to a large extent by selling players to the tune of a £24m net profit and still had a decent squad left over.  I can only see Mignolet and Sessegnon bringing in any kind of revenue for them if they go down and they'll be left with the same shocking squad of aging has beens and one paced plodders.

I think we were lucky to have some big characters here who had some pride and leadership and decided they wanted to do something about it.

The only player they have who would do that would be Catt, they would really need him for the fight if they went down. I think they are fast approaching a Steve Gibson 'this town will get the football club it deserves' moment.

In some ways relegation could be a blessing for them. Go down, take stock and regroup.

Another year of Marty blowing Short's money and getting relegated anyway, which I think will happen next season, could be terminal.

Not really, the teams who come back up usually clear out the deadwood doing so, Sunderland would keep the deadwood and sell the fucking Oak furnishings. They have done it twice before and no doubt they will do it again. Heck not only would they keep the deadwood but they would buy more.

The circle of shite will continue. They've got no pulling power. Location, history, certainly recent history, no star players, no real wage clout, fans aren't seen in a good light throughout the country; there's always a better option, and if a player doesn't have that option (see Graham) then Sunderland become a choice.

Under Bruce with Bent they had half the battle won, a moderately respected manager who found good players (see his Wigan buys) a star striker scoring for fun who attracted better players due to his form, momentum in the league and their big local rivals in crisis. Then they blew it spectacularly (mainly down to us, the pressure bruce put on himself and the fans reaction to his Geordie roots when it went wrong) and they'll never had a chance like that again for possibly 2 or 3 decades. Their last boom was Reid with Phillips & Quinn, and that was short lived as well.

Attracting players is one thing, but attracting the right manager is another and again it's something they never seem to get quite right. MoNg a decade out of touch, was every Sunderland fans wet dream, this was it for them, they've got the best man for the job, tbh, they probably have as well worryingly for them but just like them MoNg is deeply flawed & out of date, it's this combo which sees them where they are right now. You could argue we aren't doing much better being 3pts ahead and fair enough, but the potential is there with us, a striker and a new manager would see us go along way, for them it's another famous overhaul, top to bottom and every unstable effect that brings. Relegation would force that, in the long term it probably would be best for them should they get it right like we did, but just as much chance they can't clear the decks of their crap, while their star players will leave, also if Sunderland don't have premiership football, what do they have?

The other option is the survive, just and if so (more than likely) MoNg continues to make them as average as possible while blowing another big lump sum on experienced premiership players who've peaked, and or find themselves on the fringes of their current club. They'll certainly not sack him, no doubt MoNg is in the board room telling short what a victory staying in the league is, and he'll buy it afraid to where he turns next, there's no fans favourite waiting in the wings, no easy choices, and for that reason I think he'd keep ahold of him until he makes his own excuses and leaves.

When we went down we at least had deadwood to shift that was actually worth something.  We covered our losses to a large extent by selling players to the tune of a £24m net profit and still had a decent squad left over.  I can only see Mignolet and Sessegnon bringing in any kind of revenue for them if they go down and they'll be left with the same shocking squad of aging has beens and one paced plodders.

Would take both for £10m to fill out the squad.

No worries mackems :pow:

North-East Top Sad Dogs:

SUNDERLAND is the depression capital of England.

The city has more depressed residents than anywhere else in the country, with one in five Wearsiders suffering from the condition.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/health/sunderland-is-country-s-depression-capital-1-5486369

(for the record, I don't feel good laughing at mental illness....but then I read the article's comments. Clearly SAFC related!)

North-East Top Sad Dogs:

SUNDERLAND is the depression capital of England.

The city has more depressed residents than anywhere else in the country, with one in five Wearsiders suffering from the condition.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/health/sunderland-is-country-s-depression-capital-1-5486369

(for the record, I don't feel good laughing at mental illness....but then I read the article's comments. Clearly SAFC related!)

:lol: