Swansea City 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg 39

Dave

The difference between a team like swansea and a team like barca is that the barca passing has a purpose.  They're probing and using the movement of both the ball and their own players to pull the other team around and create spaces to run into for the killer pass.  Swansea on the other hand just seem to pass it for the sake of passing it, there was very little purpose in a lot of their passes except maybe to bump up their stats.

What exactly is the point of one CB passing 10 yards to the other and then him passing it back straight away when there's no opposition player anywhere near them?

f*** me is this for real? You're actually comparing the two clubs in that way?

:facepalm:

New forum trend: Swansea are s***, Barca are good. And to think most of us would have been happy with a point before the match started.

No, don't get me wrong, i'm not comparing them as teams, just the style of passing game they play and Barca were naturally the first ones that popped into my head.  They both play a passing style of football but Swansea's passing seems to be more focused on keeping the ball away from the opposition than penetrating and scoring.  You could compare them to many teams who play a passing game but a different kind of passing game.

Maybe a comparison between the Arsenal invincibles and the Arsenal side of recent years might serve better.  The invincibles played some lovely pass and move football but the passing had a penetrative purpose whereas in more recent times Arsenal have seemed to be passing it for the sake of it.  Again, it's not a great comparison but I hope it illustrates the point a little.

Yes, but you've got to think of it in context. From their point of view, they are a small club, first go at the big time, and now that they are here need to make the most of it. Playing their passing football the way they do is IMO primarily a form of defence. If the opposition can't get the ball off us they can't score etc..

They couldn't breach a very well disciplined and determined defensive unit yesterday, as our back 7 did not give them the space or the time, hence the sideways and backward passing. But I don't think anyone can deny that they are a well drilled side, who have played football in the right spirit all season long. They are lively and spritely, and have scored some lovely goals. They have not resorted to dirty tactics either. That's got to earn some respect IMO.

I'd agree that we can hardly blame them for playing to a style that suits them and has helped them to stay in the division. But it's not great to watch. Part of its effectiveness lies in starving the opposition of the ball, but because they're quite slow in getting it forward, we end up watching a lot of passes between the midfield and the defence. Despite the fact that they had 75% of possession, the stat for possession in the final third was fairly even.

I wouldn't say they were a particularly 'clean' side. I felt they did a lot of diving and holding etc.

What club does not resort to that nowadays man? At least it's not a part of their game where they are under clear instructions to rattle the opposition physically or through cheating.

And again, they did not do much with the ball yesterday due to the way we played! I think it takes credit away from our defensive performance when you say that. They had no ideas because we didn't let them have any! Watch the games where they beat some of the better sides in the league, and see if they haven't been incisive, or too slow to get it forward. They just couldn't play through us yesterday and we hit them on 2 lethal breaks. Simple.

We weren't brilliant but played a good tight disciplined game and thought our back 4 were really impressive.

Swansea made some pretty patterns but were ultimately all fart and no shit.

Cisse is awesome.

I notice the increased number of failed passes just outside our box. I think tactically Pardew & the players got it spot on in terms of letting them do what they want. Just a shame we didn't keep the ball better ourselves because we could have ran riot.

Even after a win :lol:

I wouldn't worry. We'll drop points against Bolton, Stoke or Wigan and the more blatant insults will come back.

I for one just really, really hope no-one calls Pardew any names on here, because that could seriously derail our season.

soccer am asking routledge and graham if cisse's second was a miskick! they agreed and claimed vorm said as much himself!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/1/12/1326383011046/A-pint-of-bitter-in-a-non-007.jpg

What the hell? Were they joking? What it was, was Cisse getting his right leg in a poor position but somehow managing to carve out the perfect strike despite his balance being wrong. Was a stunning strike

What the hell? Were they joking? What it was, was Cisse getting his right leg in a poor position but somehow managing to carve out the perfect strike despite his balance being wrong. Was a stunning strike

It's his technique - completely unorthadox; the only was he could have scored like that was if he positioned his right leg like he did  :) and falling over was a product of all that, he needed to fall over to pull off that finish  :drool:

Was really gutted MoTD wasn't on yesterday. Was looking forward to them fawning over the second goal. Our match will probably get kicked down the pecking order and all they'll have time to say will be "I can see Man City being interested in him over the summer..."

Was really gutted MoTD wasn't on yesterday. Was looking forward to them fawning over the second goal. Our match will probably get kicked down the pecking order and all they'll have time to say will be "I can see Man City being interested in him over the summer..."

:okay: