Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

Result today means Spurs can concentrate on the league now. No distractions and they've got a nice run in.

I think 4th is gone now unfortunately. Was always a long shot.

Eh!? Surely a win over London rivals would have been the perfect boost for their season, now they've had an absolutely humilating defeat instead.

I don't understand this mentality at all. If anything today was brilliant for us.

Exactly, one extra game was hardly going to effect them, but a win today could've been the kickstart they needed for the rest of the season. A humiliating defeat was pretty much the perfect result for us.

I think we want Arsenal Chelski to be a draw.

This.. Arsenal are well out of reach, Imo. Had City beaten them like the script said I would be rooting for chelsea but I think its better Arsenal win. More incentive for Spurs if they can catch Arsenal and could finish 3rd/4th, more panic and looking down if they just have 4th to cling on to.

Midds is being sensible tbh. I've got myself convinced that we're odds-on favourites for 4th, and i'm gonna finish the season disappointed when really i should be ecstatic. :razz:

In all seriousness though, Europa League would obviously be brilliant. I've missed that competition. It's just that we're so close and Spurs are playing so shit.

They've been in a slump since the turn of the year and have just been hit by the biggest possible suckerpunch. I don't understand how the natural reaction to this is to write off our chances because they'll 'have a reaction'.

Sorry like, just don't understand the logic at all. We all know 4th is a long shot but that was the case before today anyway.

Midds is being sensible tbh. I've got myself convinced that we're odds-on favourites for 4th, and i'm gonna finish the season disappointed when really i should be ecstatic. :razz:

In all seriousness though, Europa League would obviously be brilliant. I've missed that competition. It's just that we're so close and Spurs are playing so s***.

Well lets consider who we have lured to the team even without European football on offer, this is another huge step up the ladder and opens up a few more doors to names that wouldnt have been interested before. I don't think we have enough in us to finish fourth given our run in comparison to Spurs. Wigan away will be extremely hard and we rarely do well there, chelsea, Man City and Everton likewise. I think we will finish 5th on the basis Chelsea will drop some points and we might scrape a draw against them. 6th however is massive if we end up there.

We've got an easier run in than Spurs, 4 of the bottom 6 are not easy games as everything is still to play for down that end. We've got games against teams whose season is already over.

They've been in a slump since the turn of the year and have just been hit by the biggest possible suckerpunch. I don't understand how the natural reaction to this is to write off our chances because they'll 'have a reaction'.

Sorry like, just don't understand the logic at all. We all know 4th is a long shot but that was the case before today anyway.

Hope you're right mate. We've had a fantastic season regardless now tbh.

I'm proud of them. :)

I agree. Spurs showed today how well they "bounce back" from adversity.

In all seriousness though, Europa League would obviously be brilliant. I've missed that competition. It's just that we're so close and Spurs are playing so s***.

Well lets consider who we have lured to the team even without European football on offer, this is another huge step up the ladder and opens up a few more doors to names that wouldnt have been interested before. I don't think we have enough in us to finish fourth given our run in comparison to Spurs. Wigan away will be extremely hard and we rarely do well there, chelsea, Man City and Everton likewise. I think we will finish 5th on the basis Chelsea will drop some points and we might scrape a draw against them. 6th however is massive if we end up there.

It's a glass-half-empty mentality, but it's not attracting the right players i'm worried about, it's keeping certain ones here. I don't think any fucker will leave if we get 4th. If we don't, hmm.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

The result today cannot be good for morale in the Spurs camp surly not. A tough match awaits them vs qpr next week too and they are playing a lot of teams battling relegation in the upcoming weeks so it might just be tougher than ye think. We will have to wait and see.

I think we want Arsenal Chelski to be a draw.

This.. Arsenal are well out of reach, Imo. Had City beaten them like the script said I would be rooting for chelsea but I think its better Arsenal win. More incentive for Spurs if they can catch Arsenal and could finish 3rd/4th, more panic and looking down if they just have 4th to cling on to.

So we don't want a draw then, we want an Arsenal win..?

Spurs defending is getting worse and worse. King looks completley off form, Kaboul is out and Gallas is very inconsitent. Dawson out as well. I think they'll concede a lot towards the end, and they play Bolton/QPR away, tough games.

QPR is very difficult for footballing sides with their small pitch and their style of getting in your face. Spurs will need a lot of physical strength to get through that I think - strength which they don't really have in certain crucial areas of the pitch atm. Can see dropped points there. The Reebok is the easiest away ground to visit in the league though IMO :lol:

Well, in terms of the OP nothing I had hoped for really came to fruition this weekend. Neither Everton or Spurs could get the job done and get through to the final and we got no extra time or red cards in the game this evening, which was a shame. I suppose David Luiz went off injured, at least, but some people may look upon that as a positive for Chelsea. It's one less body for them in an area where they aren't too well-stocked, though.

On the bright side, both semi-finals had a good amount of win-win about them depending on your view. Liverpool beating Everton more-or-less guarantees us European football next season in the Europa League and, as I have seen people mention frequently, it may well mean that we go into the remaining five fixtures with even less pressure on us. This can only be a good thing if it comes to pass. Now I suppose we're hoping that Everton have nothing to play for when it comes to the final game of the season, because it could become an even trickier fixture if they're going into it needing a victory. I'd rather play a team whose season is over than a team with something to fight for, although I appreciate the role pressure plays here too of course.

In terms of Tottenham and Chelsea, the nature of the result could be a real dagger into Spurs for the remaining games. Their hideous form is continuing and they've suffered humiliation on a very large scale tonight. As is being discussed in here now, either Redknapp gets them regrouped and they get a reaction or they continue to muddle through and put in some more patchy displays before the season is out. Let's fucking hope the latter is the case. I certainly wouldn't be fancying a trip to QPR after tonight if I was a Spurs man, but we really need Joey and Co. to do the business for us. If Spurs win that, then I don't see them struggling in their other fixtures. It is absolutely essential that their downward spiral continues. A draw in that game is "meh", in a way, but a defeat for them would be great.

Chelsea now have the prospect of a game every 3.2 days until the end of the season and an FA Cup Final on the horizon, which handily comes just after our trip to Stamford Bridge. Add this to the fact that two of their league fixtures come at Anfield and The Emirates and I remain optimistic it's just going to be too much for them to do. They are in a rich vein of form though and everything seems to be going their way, so it would be foolish to discount them completely just yet. We could do with fatigue catching up with them sooner rather than later and some more injuries coming into play. Like us, they have momentum, but they also have two games with Barcelona in their immediate future... Again their CL tie there is somewhat win-win. Ideally we'd like them to either take it to extra-time/penalties and then go out, to just get utterly trounced and demoralised, or to actually make the final and then get beaten just so their calendar becomes even more jam-packed. As mentioned in the OP, though, I wouldn't fancy finishing the season in 4th (should it happen) and then facing the prospect of still not being sure of a CL qualifier, while relying on Madrid/Bayern to do us a favour.

As for ourselves, nothing has changed in terms of what we need to do or who we need to play. We need to maintain the momentum we have, starting at 3pm on Saturday with Stoke.

I've reset the poll and added the results from the beginning of this thread to now in at the bottom of the OP, just so people can maybe change their mind given what they've seen this weekend in the semi-finals and from Man City, etc. I'll keep doing this every weekend as more pieces of the puzzle fall into place and people's opinions swing back and forth.

Obviously I'm still voting "yes", but I'm a little tiny bit less confident than I was on Tuesday because of City's apparent revival and because of the way the semi-finals unfolded. Still, howay the fucking lads!

Result today means Spurs can concentrate on the league now. No distractions and they've got a nice run in.

I think 4th is gone now unfortunately. Was always a long shot.

Eh!? Surely a win over London rivals would have been the perfect boost for their season, now they've had an absolutely humilating defeat instead.

I don't understand this mentality at all. If anything today was brilliant for us.

Don't agree mate.

I think there will be a reaction from Spurs and they'll finish the season by making a concerted run for 4th. 

Hope I'm wrong obviously.

You could say that whatever about any result tbh.

As I've said any European qualification I'm taking as a bonus to an already brilliant league campaign. No point at all building owt up and the key for a lot of people next seaon will be to keep their expectations in check.

Today was a good result for us. Knocks Spurs confidence and we play at Chelsea the Wednesday before the cup final. If Spurs have more of a wobble and we keep our nerve we could well get something at Chelsea - we need to play that game as though we're at home and at high tempo - see if Chelsea are willing to put their necks on line with the Final 3 days away. Get into them.