Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

I don't know if this has been covered, it probably has. But if Chelsea were to win the CL final and Newcastle finished third. Would we go into the qualifying rounds and Chelsea would go to groups? How would that work out?

I would imagine the winner gets priority, so 3rd would play the qualifier.

liverpool went into the qualifiers but that was a mish mash to get them in, was anything actual ruling laid out afterwards ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Champions_League#Group_stage

Chelsea would go straight into the group stage according to that, as defending champions.

I don't know if this has been covered, it probably has. But if Chelsea were to win the CL final and Newcastle finished third. Would we go into the qualifying rounds and Chelsea would go to groups? How would that work out?

I would imagine the winner gets priority, so 3rd would play the qualifier.

liverpool went into the qualifiers but that was a mish mash to get them in, was anything actual ruling laid out afterwards ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Champions_League#Group_stage

Chelsea would go straight into the group stage according to that, as defending champions.

makes more sense i suppose.

Are there many Real/Bayern players on a yellow and in danger of missing the final?

Seem to remember it being mentioned last week that Bayern had a few players on the verge of missing the second leg if they were booked in that match.

Guest Roger Kint

Are there many Real/Bayern players on a yellow and in danger of missing the final?

Bayern's entire back 4 and a CM iirc

That is ludicrous TBH, they really need to do something about the Europa League being so worthless.

Absolutely, especially considering they over-complicated (and legthened) the competition by having the groups stages. No wonder clubs like Spurs were happy to give the competition second priority whilst they focussed efforts on getting the CL this year.

Ridiculous really, wholly undermines the achievements of those teams that have earned the right to be there in the first place.

I think I can deal with missing out on the CL should Chelsea win it. What I'll struggle with is other fans and media pundits being pleased about it and gloating, even though some might feign sympathy.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou about this. When Everton finished 4th a few years ago, I was quite jealous and would have been quite happy to see them miss out when Liverpool won the CL. Likewise when Spurs missed out on the last day of the season a while back when half their team developed the runs.

Schadenfreude, they call it.

It's already started with me (even though the season hasn't finished yet). The potential of being ridiculed/mocked is there though and my Man U/Arsenal supporting mates have already pounced on it.

Regarding last night, it was s**** aye but the only thing we can do now is to look forward and pick up as many points as we can in our last 4 games. Instead of looking at stuff elsewhere, we just have to concentrate on ourselves. Focus is the key.

EU league may not be much but

a) its extra money we need

b) it boosts our profile

c) the players want it

Aye, I'm not saying it's not a good thing, it's just the difference between Europa and Champions League is far too large.

If they had any sense they make the base rewards a lot more even like (the TV money is enough to boost the prestige of the CL). It would help out a lot of teams around Europe and go a little to close some of the gaps, which is what I thought they wanted.

Guest BooBoo

Too much knicker wetting going on around here.

If Chelsea win the CL then they should defend their trophy. We knew the rules, let's stop whining about it.

Too much knicker wetting going on around here.

If Chelsea win the CL then they should defend their trophy. We knew the rules, let's stop whining about it.

I dont think theres any of that going on tbh, i think we are just hoping Chelsea dont win it....... ofcourse if they win it then they deserve to defend it.

Just if we finish 4th i would majorly disappointed if we dont get CL so i hope they lose.....

Ofcourse of they win it then they deserve to defend it.

I think people don't take into account that Chelsea still have pretty good chance to qualify to CL through the league too. They are always the favourites to win us at home and after that they would be only 1 point behind us and I can't see us winning all our other games. Tottenham are just a mess now. The suspended players don't need to be rested in the league and I believe the goal Torres scored at Nou Camp is massive confidence boost to him so they could rotate Drogba and Torres without it having too much impact. I don't think Chelsea will just give up the league.

We just have to hope that the players minds are in the Cup-finals and we can keep up picking points. The CL final is going to be a big hurdle for them, even if Luiz and Cahill would be fit as IMO Ramires, Ivanovic and Terry are their three most important players.

Let's not worry about the CL final yet as we still have a lot to do ourselves to get to the point where it has meaning to us. Just enjoy the last games and then we can worry about the CL final. But in NUFC we trust.  :clap:

I think people don't take into account that Chelsea still have pretty good chance to qualify to CL through the league too. They are always the favourites to win us at home and after that they would be only 1 point behind us and I can't see us winning all our other games. Tottenham are just a mess now. The suspended players don't need to be rested in the league and I believe the goal Torres scored at Nou Camp is massive confidence boost to him so they could rotate Drogba and Torres without it having too much impact. I don't think Chelsea will just give up the league.

We just have to hope that the players minds are in the Cup-finals and we can keep up picking points. The CL final is going to be a big hurdle for them, even if Luiz and Cahill would be fit as IMO Ramires, Ivanovic and Terry are their three most important players.

Let's not worry about the CL final yet as we still have a lot to do ourselves to get to the point where it has meaning to us. Just enjoy the last games and then we can worry about the CL final. But in NUFC we trust.  :clap:

Good post, I agree. They have got liverpool away too, although you'd like to think Carroll could do us another favour and beat them too ;)

I suspect it will be a lot more clearer after this weekends fixtures. If we win it will be enormous pressure on both Chelsea and Spurs to win on Sunday against teams that will be desperate for points.

Theyll definately see our game as being important, they wont just place all their cards on winning the champions league. Being the only side in charge of whether 4th makes it or not helps them know thats all they need to reach also, unlike us & the other sides.

Having the FA cup 3 days after our fixture should help us though, depends which they prioritize. Honestly i think we need to beat them, i dont see Spurs or Chelsea giving up this easily & i dont see us beating City.

Being a heavily subsidised club, Chelsea can take the financial risk of not qualifying for the CL for one season. I think they'll make winning the CL a priority - the opportunity to do that might not come round so often.

It might not be in any way official at the club, but if you were a player with the chance of appearing in the CL final, you might be wary of sailing into any dodgy challenges during the next few games. That can make a difference.