Alan Pardew

Dave

Updated:

2010/11 - 2 points gained from losing positions in 9 games (possible 27 points)

2011/12 - 4 points gained from losing positions in 15 games (possible 45 points)

2012/13 - 3 points gained from losing positions in 15 games (possible 45 points)

When we've gone behind under Pardew, we've taken 9 points from a possible 117.

Thought I'd do Everton as a relatively fair comparison from 11th December 2010 to present:

2010/11 - 15 points gained from losing positions in 14 games (possible 42 points)

2011/12 - 11 points gained from losing positions in 19 games (possible 57 points)

2012/13 - 18 points gained from losing positions in 13 games (possible 39 points)

When Everton have gone behind under Moyes, they've taken 44 points from a possible 138.

So when Everton go behind, they have managed to get enough points to stay mid table whilst us under Pardew play like a team about to get relegated? I fail to see the compliment to Pards

Guest Bert Shaft

Most of the points you and the other fella I don't respond to anymore just tackled, I didn't raise in the first place. In fact you seem not to have read what I've said, just quoted my post and then had a generic anti-Pardew rant under it.

:D

Hahaha,  "Derek" the forums comedian still reads my posts though.

Braveheart like assault and real arrows in our quiver indeedy!  :D :D :D

(I bet my user monickers lost on you anarl.)

So when Everton go behind, they have managed to get enough points to stay mid table whilst us under Pardew play like a team about to get relegated? I fail to see the compliment to Pards

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr2grbBFqq1qcnyswo1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr2grbBFqq1qcnyswo1_500.jpg

Well that was stupid of me. Thought you were defending his record

Hate it when you think of a really interesting statistic that you'd love to know the answer to but there's either no way of finding out or it means having to trawl through masses of fixtures yourself.

Finally, Sunderland since MON came in:

2011/12 - 5 points gained from losing positions in 11 games (possible 33 points)

2012/13 - 4 points gained from losing positions in 11 games (possible 33 points)

When they've gone behind under O'Neill, they've taken 9 points from a possible 57.

Hate it when you think of a really interesting statistic that you'd love to know the answer to but there's either no way of finding out or it means having to trawl through masses of fixtures yourself.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/ptsgain.html  12/13

http://stats.football365.com/2012/ENG/PR/ptsgain.html  11/12

http://stats.football365.com/2011/ENG/PR/ptsgain.html  10/11

goes back about 10-12 years iirc.

Mate was telling me Pardew has a lower win % than Souness (at Newcastle, GS's is far superior throughout his career).

Souness managed the biggest teams in Mickey Mouse leagues.

But the point was, comparing only their Newcastle careers, Souness has a higher win % than Pardew.

Guest neesy111

Mate was telling me Pardew has a lower win % than Souness (at Newcastle, GS's is far superior throughout his career).

Souness managed the biggest teams in Mickey Mouse leagues.

But the point was, comparing only their Newcastle careers, Souness has a higher win % than Pardew.

Probably mostly to do with cup competitions we did ok in.

The fact that people are still defending him, when we are in a relegation battle, and just scraped past a team that got beat by bradford and millwall, with the squad we have

:facepalm:

Aye your right sorry, because being positive towards your team who have just won and who are fighting like f*** is s*** support.

And because Villa have been beaten by lower league teams, they were going to show absolutely nothing here and roll over despite getting a foothold with 40 minutes still to play. Aye s***, forgot football was that simple.

:lol: it's like I have a second account

Its fine to be positive, it's absolutely ridiculous to blindly defend the indefensible. Sometimes I feel like people haven't watched us this season. At all. Its beyond predictable. What can it be? Is it too much to ask to be able to react to what another team does. Thats f***ing basic basic management. There's no need to be overtly angered by a post. about it. Never once said it was s*** support, again jumping to a ridiculous conclusion that is completely untrue. I merely said defending a manager who was taken a squad of our quality to the dizzy heights of relegation fodder, is by nature absurd

I'm not defending the indefensible though am I? Not expecting to cover old ground but i'v been highly critical of him and equally have praised him when I see fit.

He deserves undoubted stick for past matches, but I saw no real reason for that after this match, as imo the early Villa goal 2nd half completely hammered our confidence and as a result the team became incredibly nervous and agitated in possession. I also find it incredibly unlikely that he was instructing his staff to waste the ball as carelessly as they were. If he was, then yes, we are f***ed. But it's not that cut and dry.

Also the main point was that you weighed up the squads and the quality they have - as if that will make it an easy win. Never gonna be like that until our confidence is high. Aye ours is better, but given the runs both sides are on the match that developed was always gunna be the most likely outcome - An initial bout of confident play from our fresh squad, get two goals and play really well - conceding always gunna make us a bit timid.

Them - as desperate for point as us, on the edge. Needed something early 2nd half and got it, resulting in a siege at our goal. We came out on top.

The fact that people are still defending him, when we are in a relegation battle, and just scraped past a team that got beat by bradford and millwall, with the squad we have

:facepalm:

Aye your right sorry, because being positive towards your team who have just won and who are fighting like f*** is s*** support.

And because Villa have been beaten by lower league teams, they were going to show absolutely nothing here and roll over despite getting a foothold with 40 minutes still to play. Aye s***, forgot football was that simple.

:lol: it's like I have a second account

Its fine to be positive, it's absolutely ridiculous to blindly defend the indefensible. Sometimes I feel like people haven't watched us this season. At all. Its beyond predictable. What can it be? Is it too much to ask to be able to react to what another team does. Thats f***ing basic basic management. There's no need to be overtly angered by a post. about it. Never once said it was s*** support, again jumping to a ridiculous conclusion that is completely untrue. I merely said defending a manager who was taken a squad of our quality to the dizzy heights of relegation fodder, is by nature absurd

I'm not defending the indefensible though am I? Not expecting to cover old ground but i'v been highly critical of him and equally have praised him when I see fit.

He deserves undoubted stick for past matches, but I saw no real reason for that after this match, as imo the early Villa goal 2nd half completely hammered our confidence and as a result the team became incredibly nervous and agitated in possession. I also find it incredibly unlikely that he was instructing his staff to waste the ball as carelessly as they were. If he was, then yes, we are f***ed. But it's not that cut and dry.

Also the main point was that you weighed up the squads and the quality they have - as if that will make it an easy win. Never gonna be like that until our confidence is high. Aye ours is better, but given the runs both sides are on the match that developed was always gunna be the most likely outcome - An initial bout of confident play from our fresh squad, get two goals and play really well - conceding always gunna make us a bit timid.

Them - as desperate for point as us, on the edge. Needed something early 2nd half and got it, resulting in a siege at our goal. We came out on top.

Fair enough, but It's not like this is the only game it has happened. Its a pattern that has emerged this season, and many on here have called. Honestly you could visibly see it at the match, the shape changed at the start of the second half, we dropped back, debuchy wouldn't cross the half way, not even to take a throw in, it was very similar to Reading, we gifted them the game back. The "tactic" of shanking a ball to a lumbering excuse for a footballer was horrendous to see.

My point was more that, at 2-0 up with the squad we have, and the players at his disposal, it shouldn't really be such an effort for us to desperately cling on to a win. Imo we would have coasted that second half by just retaining posession for the first 15 mins of the half. instead we did what we have done all season, hit long balls. Thats a managerial directivem it has to be

In theory aye, but other elements come into play i.e - us not winning away all season, a bunch of very nervous players, and the opponents, who are the one team in that league as desperate for a win as us. That's when it does become an effort , when the pressure is on.

Im hopeful that if we do get some results on the board - our ability to see games out in a more composed manner - OR - we may actually go and score a few more, something I think would have occurred had we not conceded that early.

Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story on its own - we were competing for Champions League places on the last day of last season after all - but it does strongly suggest that Pardew's qualities are based almost wholly around having his favoured players available and setting the team up correctly. If plan A doesn't work, or is effectively countered by his opposite number, going behind in a game almost certainly means we will lose.

When you look at it like that, it certainly backs up Pardew's claims that injuries and the Europa League have disrupted his preparations this season and contributed to us lying down around the bottom of the table. He simply doesn't appear very astute at managing his way out of adversity.

Whether that's good enough for a top-flight manager with this squad is obviously debatable.

It's a pretty short debate imo.