Floated set penis to Williamson/Taylor at back post

Dave

I predict Williamson will score from floaty set piece number 8,903,987.

We're already on set piece 9,402,312.

Remember Pardew in that radio interview at the end of last season with Mick Lowes and JC saying they were looking to mix it up a bit. Only remember it because the American guy suggested a 'run and kick' or something :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

A weird time to bring this up when today was probably the most effective it's been. I still agree that we need to mix it up, though.

Something I do find weird is that we just do it all match. I'm all for the players following the manager's instructions, but surely they have brains of their own; enough to think in Cabaye's case 'I might whip this one in instead'? It's not like he's going to be dropped for trying a different freekick is it? :laugh:

Something I do find weird is that we just do it all match. I'm all for the players following the manager's instructions, but surely they have brains of their own; enough to think in Cabaye's case 'I might whip this one in instead'? It's not like he's going to be dropped for trying a different freekick is it? :laugh:

Considering they change penalty takers during a match, you'd like to think they'd change this :laugh:

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's a case of playing it safe. Floating a cross with back spin to the back post is a lot easier than whipping one in. I don't think it would happen as much, had all of our corners against Villa not been so bad.

I think it's a case of playing it safe. Floating a cross with back spin to the back post is a lot easier than whipping one in. I don't think it would happen as much, had all of our corners against Villa not been so bad.

Like I said earlier in the thread I think it's actually a defensive tactic, less chance of getting caught on the break if we lose a header at the back stick.

THE NEWCASTLE UNITED GUIDE TO PLAYING FOOTBALL.

ATTACKS:

1. Pass to Ben Arfa, he runs around a couple of tries a pass to an attacker, which is intercepted. Sometimes, he has shot which is saved and parried for a corner (see set pieces).

2. Get the ball to Jonas/Santon, he passes to Jonas/Santon and they cross. Cross is met by goalkeeper/defender/over-hit.

3. Hoof the ball to Ba/Cisse. They miss header and defender clears easily.

SET PIECES:

1. Float to Williamson. Defender intercepts.

2. Float to Williamson. He misses header.

3. Float to Williamson. His header lands nowhere.

Perfectly summed up. Jonas/Santon sometimes ends with Santon drifting in on his right but taking one touch too many and consequently losing it.

Funny you say that, I'd reckon Williamson is the rare player that nobody loves or hates. He is what he is.

Think that's it perfectly. We need to ditch the Willo plan and alternate between giving it straight to Ben Arfa if he's not marked and trying to deliver a decent cross so that Taylor, Ba or Cisse can get their heads on it