Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/12 - post match relief from page 29

Greg

Guest Chris P

Only good thing about WBA was Lukaku.

Very harsh. Their organisation, passing and movement put us to shame that half. If they'd taken the three points it would have been a tactically perfect away performance, and deserved.

Didn't know you were a supporter Dave. :cool:

Flukiest win ever. We really are a poor team.

First bit aye, second bit is nonsense.

It really isn't though, is it?

Yes we have good players, but we're not a good team. Not in a collective and footballing sense anyway. West Brom's shape, passing, movement, pressing off the ball etc put us to shame today and a lot of teams in the league do the same with worse players.

It's impossible to argue with this. Pardew is picking players and trying to shoehorn them into a formation when it should be the other way round.

:thup: We don't have poor players. But right now, Pardew's playing them in a way that is making them a poor team. No argument there. Feel quite lucky I can enjoy this win with only the first half in mind as the second half sounded abysmal.

Been out today so only heard the score, what are the major issues with the performance?

Played shite second half, got lucky with a 94th minute winner that went in off Cisse's arse*. :lol:

*think it was more his back.

Guest Wally_McFool

Krul 9

Simpson 4

Coloccini 5

Williamson 4

Santon 6

Cabaye 4

Jonas 4

Perch 5

HBA 6

Ba 8

Shola 5

Cisse 6, Obertan 5, Sammy 6

How the hell does Jonas deserve a 4? He was outstanding today defensively, and looked to have regained some of his old dribbling skills.

Its the mentality of a lot of the posters on here. Waaaaah Jonas FFS! :D

IF, a big IF, what Pardew said is genuine, I believe that the whole squad is having fitness issue and all the players are out of form.  That's the only valid reasons for such a shit performance.

Right, after digesting that, my thoughts are as follows:

I honestly thought we were decent enough in the first half, we deserved to be in front at half time. We played some decent stuff, it was a good mix between direct and passing along the floor imo - our directness got us the goal and thought we sufficiently controlled the game (bar West Brom's counter attacks).

We needed to build on that first half and go for it in the second but unfortunately, that didn't happen. No-one really knew what they were supposed to do and you could definitely put that down to Pardew's instructions (or lack of). The midfield looked confused, the players simply didn't know which position they were meant to be holding, there was no movement - it was quite frankly a mess. Thank fuck we got that (undeserved) winner eh? Got to say though, at least we got a PL win - it has been a while. But again, we've got a lot of issues to address. Something's got to give eventually - I don't for one second believe that Pardew is a mug of a manager, he has shown in the past that he can get something right. Let's hope that he gets it spot on (or thereabouts) sooner rather than later.

Krul 9

Simpson 4

Coloccini 5

Williamson 4

Santon 6

Cabaye 4

Jonas 4

Perch 5

HBA 6

Ba 8

Shola 5

Cisse 6, Obertan 5, Sammy 6

How the hell does Jonas deserve a 4? He was outstanding today defensively, and looked to have regained some of his old dribbling skills.

Fair enough, maybes 4 was harsh, but are you sure he was "outstanding"?

IF, a big IF, what Pardew said is genuine, I believe that the whole squad is having fitness issue and all the players are out of form.  That's the only valid reasons for such a s*** performance.

I'm sorry we didn't look unfit our ability was in question not fitness. We played with a high line from our defence despite them getting in behind time and time again. They had to step back 5 yards to sort it out but we didn't. Players looked all over the shop not knowing where to play. Maybe they need more training time which their missing due to europe for tactics etc, but fitness is just an excuse.

Krul 8

Simpson 6

Santon 6

Colo 7

Williamson 6

Cabaye 4

Perch 5

Jonas 5

HBA 5

Shola 3

Ba 6

Obertan 5

Sammy 5

Cisse 3

Perch was better than Jonas and Simpson was far worse than anyone else in the back four. You're otherwise about right.

scores

Perch was better than Jonas and Simpson was far worse than anyone else in the back four. You're otherwise about right.

Williamson was equally as bad as Simpson, if not worse, albeit he improved a tad when Long came on.

Lukaku was brilliant, big big PL future if he leaves Chelsea permanently.

He looked very poor in early days for Chelsea, but this season he's been very big, very strong and showing decent technique.