Club Brugge 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 08/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 22

Stifler

Some of our defending tonight was awful, I don't know what the problem was.

We kept losing the ball whilst attacking, leaving us constantly vulnerable to the counter. That was the main problem.

Well yeah, but we had a virtual first choice centre-back pairing out there and still looked disorganised as fuck. Opposition players not picked up, players allowed to turn and shoot, players allowed to win the first and second balls etc etc. It was bewilderingly sloppy.

Decent enough game I suppose. Should have won it at a canter.

Thought Sammy, Marveaux and Obertan had done well. Bigi showed his inexperience, but it's so easy to forget how young he actually is.

James Tavernier for man of the match. Apart from that horrible clearance which led to their second goal, he was superb. I'm not on the anti-Simpson brigade, but I hope he was watching Tav tonight. Could have learned a lot about how a full-back should play.

I really like Tavernier's ambition and attitude towards playing full-back. Some lax passing and other silly moments, but like him as a player. Hope he continues to develop.

His positioning tonight, defensively and offensively was spot on. Not long ago he was caught out about 10 times in the first half away at Atromitos. Lad is learning and it's great to see.

Some of our defending tonight was awful, I don't know what the problem was.

We kept losing the ball whilst attacking, leaving us constantly vulnerable to the counter. That was the main problem.

Well yeah, but we had a virtual first choice centre-back pairing out there and still looked disorganised as fuck. Opposition players not picked up, players allowed to turn and shoot, players allowed to win the first and second balls etc etc. It was bewilderingly sloppy.

Do we have any other kind? :yao:

:okay:

Decent enough game I suppose. Should have won it at a canter.

Thought Sammy, Marveaux and Obertan had done well. Bigi showed his inexperience, but it's so easy to forget how young he actually is.

James Tavernier for man of the match. Apart from that horrible clearance which led to their second goal, he was superb. I'm not on the anti-Simpson brigade, but I hope he was watching Tav tonight. Could have learned a lot about how a full-back should play.

I really like Tavernier's ambition and attitude towards playing full-back. Some lax passing and other silly moments, but like him as a player. Hope he continues to develop.

His positioning tonight, defensively and offensively was spot on. Not long ago he was caught out about 10 times in the first half away at Atromitos. Lad is learning and it's great to see.

Aye, naive at times but he was a different player to the one in Greece a couple months back. Looks a good player.

I honestly don't think Tavernier or Sammy had good games, Sammy made the goal but apart from that did nothing and Tavernier would get slaughtered if he played like that in the league.

Sammy was a bit all-over-the-place, but that was just typical of our entire attacking gameplan. He was the flair player tonight, the 'HBA' - pretty much the sole provider really. I thought he was decent.

Our away results can't be ignored. No wins in all competitions. Far too negative of an approach.

The other side of this is we've only lost 1, which was against Chelsea (2 if you count the League Cup).

I don't disagree with what you're saying but at least we're not losing away games, which is something we've hardly ever been able to say.

Although we've thankfully abandoned the 'float it to Willo' thing, our set pieces are still absolutely laughable. I said it during the game, but we're honestly more of a threat to ourselves than we are the opposition. Like much of our in-play attacks, there's no rhyme or reason to them and it's just slapdash/opportunist. Counted at least three times they made us sweat on the counter following a shitty corner of free-kick. The balls in themselves are never that bad - it's not like we're smacking the first man every time - there's just no real emphasis on what to do once it's reached the box. The organisation once it's inevitably exited is pretty much non-existant, too.

Hmm. I'm not convinced that it's all to do with being "negative" or whatever. It could be that our attacking players, while talented, are all a bit headless on a scale of Obertan to Ba.

That really is where the boss needs to look at himself. I know i'm repeating myself but there's just no gameplan. It's become very clear over the last few weeks.

Sammy was a bit all-over-the-place, but that was just typical of our entire attacking gameplan. He was the flair player tonight, the 'HBA' - pretty much the sole provider really. I thought he was decent.

He did nothing apart from make the goal with a good pass, other than that he was running into blind alleys.  Ferguson on the left would have created more Ferguson and Cisse should have replaced Shola and Sammy before Cabaye came on.

Although we've thankfully abandoned the 'float it to Willo' thing, our set pieces are still absolutely laughable. I said it during the game, but we're honestly more of a threat to ourselves than we are the opposition. Like much of our in-play attacks, there's no rhyme or reason to them and it's just slapdash/opportunist. Counted at least three times they made us sweat on the counter following a shitty corner of free-kick. The balls in themselves are never that bad - it's not like we're smacking the first man every time - there's just no real emphasis on what to do once it's reached the box. The organisation once it's inevitable exited is pretty much non-existant, too.

Aye, at one point a simple hoof out from a corner/free kick turned into a major threat to our goal. One 'pass' and suddenly we were scrambling to keep it out of our net. :lol:

Meh i'll take it but we really need to start turning some of these draws into wins getting ridiculous now.

What is that 5 in the league and 3 in europe? sort it out sure we are not losing but we are not winning either.

It'll come. Prefer a draw to a defeat. No panic

I though Marvaeuxs deliveries were far better than we've had all season from Cabaye. Although that could have been down to Brugges defending.

I thought Marveaux, Obertan and Anita were our best 3 players.