Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giroud is so underrated, don't understand why he doesn't get more respect. Maybe his hair.

Not a world class finisher. He's not "clutch" at all. That's what you need your main striker to be if you want to win the league.

He's a fine player no doubt. But would you have him ahead of Rooney, RVP, Aguero et al.? Not a chance. He could partner one no doubt but as the main man? Not in that stratosphere.

He's good but not great. One of the best strikers around at getting on the end of a cross - seems to read crosses very well and very early and is moving laterally/diagonally before the centreback has had time to react - but it's definitely the finishing where he's a a let down. One of those strikers who's frequently doing well to get on the end of a ball into the box, but doesn't do enough to ensure it ends up in the back of the net on a consistent basis.

Good player but a twat who does not want to come here. Still think he will find a way out of QPR before the end of the month although obviously not to us.

Oh well, in some ways though if we really are a shambles here behind the scenes you can understand why Remy doesn't bother.

It's annoying as we can afford him and he's clearly quality. Agree he probably will worm his way to another side before end of the month. Spurs might be a shout.

Guest firetotheworks

Frankly, I think he would have been at a bigger club than Newcastle last season if not for his trouble with the rape allegation. I'm sure he enjoyed his stay here, but probably does not see NUFC as a final destination

Remy's not good enough for a team above us imo, neither was Ba. If they want to sit on the bench and get more money then yeah, but if they want to play week in and week out there's no where but maybe Everton or Spurs to go in terms of pushing near the top. The very top teams don't bother with players like that when there are clearly much better strikers that they can start or have in rotation. Remy and Ba are not and never were good enough.

Remy is another level of footballer to Ba, imo. Ba reminds me more of Yakubu and Darren Bent than anyone else. His general play is poor. Remy is a much better all around footballer.

Agree with this - Remy is a far better all-round player. He IS worth a better club than NUFC currently are...people don't like to face that but its true.

Under Ashley and Pardew we are just perpetual also-rans and no better than the likes of Southampton ; we just get better crowds.

They (well at least I) just have a different opinion. Spurs/Everton/Us is his limit in terms of a striker starting every game. At Liverpool he would work in rotation, but I don't think he's top 4 level at all like.

Think he would've started for Man Utd. at the weekend (top 4 joke I know), better than Sanago & Podolski, L'pool's back up & Fernando Torres.

You think that he would start ahead of Rooney and Van Persie? Because that's what you're saying there, unless you mean injuries in which case you could say that about any team in the world.

EDIT: I've already discussed the Torres point.

Guest firetotheworks

Well he said at the weekend, and RvP didn't play.

That's changing the point entirely though. It's a given that the point I was making was that he wouldn't get a game in a top for team AHEAD of their starting players. Obviously he'd start for all of them if they all weren't available.

When Ba did play for Chelsea he did tend to score. Chelsea's attitude will always be, why have Ba or Lukaku when we can go out and buy Diego Costa, or whoever is among the best performing strikers at the time.

Ba would undoubtedly score a lot of goals in a top 6 team like Spurs or Everton.  I think people are underrating him quite a lot here - he never got a chance at Chelsea.

I was thinking the same. I don't know which game it was, might have been against Stoke where he stepped up to take a free kick and bent it right into the top corner from 25 yards out. Then there was that volley from a 60 yard long punt against Man U. He's got far more ability than he gets credit for IMO.

Ba would undoubtedly score a lot of goals in a top 6 team like Spurs or Everton.  I think people are underrating him quite a lot here - he never got a chance at Chelsea.

I was thinking the same. I don't know which game it was, might have been against Stoke where he stepped up to take a free kick and bent it right into the top corner from 25 yards out. Then there was that volley from a 60 yard long punt against Man U. He's got far more ability than he gets credit for IMO.

Scored a couple of cracking goals against Man Utd. in his time here. Is he a world class striker, no? But he's in that segment below who could do a good job tactically, in rotation or off the bench for most top sides. Which is important in case of injury.

I like Ba but it was a daft move all round when he went to Chelsea. He has a lot of people hanging on to his coat tails though and he probably wants to make as much money as he can while he can.

Remember Ba's first few games though? He looked really poor, and if you go back and look at the thread the initial comments were shocking. People were claiming that's what you get for signing a striker on a free instead of paying for one!

I'm very hopeful on Riviere. He's always been considered a talent, but hasn't quite got the consistent run of games to really come through. He's got the physical tools, and more encouraging he played like he actually gives a damn. I could really see him do well, particularly paired with someone more experienced and savvy, which is exactly what De Jong is.

Remember Ba's first few games though? He looked really poor, and if you go back and look at the thread the initial comments were shocking. People were claiming that's what you get for signing a striker on a free instead of paying for one!

Think Ba was helped tremendously by Best. Took him a good while to adjust to playing without someone who looked to create space for him.

I'm very hopeful on Riviere. He's always been considered a talent, but hasn't quite got the consistent run of games to really come through. He's got the physical tools, and more encouraging he played like he actually gives a damn. I could really see him do well, particularly paired with someone more experienced and savvy, which is exactly what De Jong is.

People can make of it what they will, but there is some US statistics guy on twitter who think someone mentioned in the Riviere thread who rates him pretty highly.  I think he could come good to be honest.

Scored a couple of cracking goals against Man Utd. in his time here. Is he a world class striker, no? But he's in that segment below who could do a good job tactically, in rotation or off the bench for most top sides. Which is important in case of injury.

Would agree with that analysis really, but I think it would have been interesting to see him playing regularly in a top 4-6 side and see how many goals he would have scored.  I reckon he'd score enough to certainly have a chance of starting for top sides on a fairly regular basis.

People can make of it what they will, but there is some US statistics guy on twitter who think someone mentioned in the Riviere thread who rates him pretty highly.  I think he could come good to be honest.

I really do like what I see form him. Just hope he stays fit, and I think we'll all be really happy with him come the end of the season.

He had plenty of chances to establish himself at Chelsea, especially in the 6 months prior to Mourinho's arrival and with a shot Torres as his only competition. Fact is he looked useless in the Premiership in front of a midfield that contained the likes of Lampard, Oscar and Mata, and only really came alive in the cup competitions.

His all round game just isn't good enough. In fact, he's a p*ss poor footballer outside of the box, and needs goals to mask how mediocre he is elsewhere on the pitch. I've never really understood why so many of our fans considered Ba to be a good all-round footballer when he did the sum of sod all in general play and slowly progressed from "meh, runs into the box alright" to "can't control a ball or pass it" during that 4-3-3 period where he was out wide on the left and his confidence dropped with every goalless game.