Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Only an idiot would turn down Chelsea like. 

The young kids it's a different issue.  At youth level it's okay but when it gets to late teens it's best to move and get regular football.

There's only a handful of English clubs I'd take my son to before a Chelsea or Man Utd academy wise.

Agreed, why not make use of the best coaching/development programs?

As a young player, if you find yourself not being able to break through at a club like Chelsea or Man Utd, you can always get a loan out to a smaller club and make your breakthrough there, setting up a transfer for yourself.

If you were in their shoes and you had an offer from the Chelsea Academy, you wouldn't reject them.

How many young players have been developed at Chelsea and made it to premiership standard?

Compare that to say Southampton who regularly make success stories from their kids.

How many young players have been developed at Chelsea and made it to premiership standard?

Compare that to say Southampton who regularly make success stories from their kids.

I agree with this and it makes me think that based on previous years/decades, how is it that our academy lot will never make a first team league appearance and drop down the leagues, have unsuccessful trials at Darlington and end up playing for pub teams? People mention not breaking into the manu or Chelsea first teams, but our lads seem to nosedive very quickly, without even a look in at the championship never mind the premier league.

I realise this has somewhat derailed the Remy thread.

Southampton have arguably the best Academy in the country. That's #1 pick.    But Everton or Chelsea isn't reliant on info available to the public imo. Too close.

Palace have a lot of players in the top 2 levels of Rnglish football but you would imagine the facilities aren't great. I don't think we are doing THAT bad like. Not great.  But Forster, Carroll, Lua Lua, Dummett, Saylor, Sammy all in the top two flights.  Surely that's more than the likes of Chelsea or Sunderland?

Guest chicken little

The lack of biggish clubs in the area gives Southampton (or gave them at least, not sure how it works these days) a massive catchment area.

The lack of biggish clubs in the area gives Southampton (or gave them at least, not sure how it works these days) a massive catchment area.

Don't forget Pardew's opinion that it was down to class and education with them being middle class and us being a working class area.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/28/alan-pardew-newcastle-education-southampton

Still very much the case these days, especially with Portsmouth in such a dire state. Bournemouth is now its only real rival across almost the entire South Coast, and Reading in parts of the Home Counties. School friends of mine were offered Southampton, Bournemouth and Reading trials - a real no brainer as Southampton has far better facilities, transport links etc. And they put academy players up in nice areas with agreements with good Sixth Form colleges.

Guest chicken little

Ahem.

That should be the case with us then? Yet we fail f***ing miserably at it.

Well aye, quite goes without saying :lol:

You could probably make a cracking XI out of players from the NE who we missed out on as kids...

One of the kids that won the Sky One show to get into the Chelsea Academy ended up at Hartlepool via Gateshead & Grimsby. Wonder where the winners of Soccastars are now?

EDIT: Found one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadj_Sadok_Bouziane

However, due to visa problems, he was unable to travel to England and did not join Newcastle United.[2] Prior to the competition, he worked as a shepherd and said that he had never played organized football. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Tbf I really no nothing about Berahino but I'm confident that Remy would score goals.

I'm not after watching him today. Looks like he's spent the last six months on a Caribbean beach. Now I can understand why Chelsea might be willing to let him go out on loan.

Tbh, neither have played a great deal of regular football over the past year. If we signed either they'd need a couple of games or so to find their stride and bed in. We need someone to hit the ground running if we've any chance of stopping up.

Tbh, neither have played a great deal of regular football over the past year. If we signed either they'd need a couple of games or so to find their stride and bed in. We need someone to hit the ground running if we've any chance of stopping up.

So who do you suggest?

So who do you suggest?

I don't have a fucking clue.

So who do you suggest?

I don't have a f***ing clue.

Fair enough :lol:

Not many players who are regulars at their clubs want to come to us now.

Remy is probably the best we can get but i would love us to get Berahino.