Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

Are we just not fit or is it the lack of options from the bench?

Everton played 24 hrs after us but were full of running at the end whereas we looked shot

Just back in from the game. We started brightly, but as soon as Everton equalized there was only going to be one winner. You could see any belief drain out of the players. :( A lack of leadership (on and off the park), totally lost our shape again towards the end.

Pardew has to turn this around quickly - it's simply not good enough, but I will say that he is working with his hands tied behind his back (by Ashley) How long will this awful run go on for, before something is done?

People have been saying "Pardew has to turn this around quickly" all season, we are now half way through and on 20 pts. 

Guest strongbow69

Isnt this the same tactical failure we,ve had in most games this season? go in front , sit back 10 behind the ball . Equaliser, try harder, go behind, lose all shape try and attack and feck it  :embarrassed:

Eventually, we play to our strengths and play it long, and were unlucky not to get an equaliser. It might be ugly, but in the absence of our more skilful players we don't have much choice.

We've got skill, flair and close-control in the squad.

Really? In the midfield and attack, I'd say we have three players that I'd call skilful - Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Cabaye. Four if you count Sammy, who's a bit raw. The rest all struggle to keep and use the ball when deprived of time and space. In the absence of two of those players, the balance isn't right.

Anita struggles to keep or use the ball when deprived of time?, really?

Anita isn't that neat on the ball, in truth he probably isn't that much better than Tiote... who does have it in him to play like an actual footballer, somewhere inside.

:o

How many times did he lose the ball today?

Is that the definition of a skilful player?

Part of the problem with the midfield was that we were spending so much time fighting to keep the ball by playing it sideways and backwards when under the least bit of pressure. Marveaux was the only one comfortable in possession who could lift his head up, take his time and play the ball into the feet of player further forward.

Well there's no real definition of skillfull player, but I wasn't referring to that.  I just questioned the suggestion that everyone outside of Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Cabaye struggle to keep/use the ball when deprived of time and space.

Watching us makes me want to smash things. For all that's bad when we're on the ball, we're SO unorganised when we've just lost possession, our players have no idea what to do or where to position themselves to counter the threat of the opposition breaking when our attack breaks down or a set piece gets cleared. This was highlighted the most tonight when whenever they lumped it clear, they picked the ball up EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. TIME. I'm actually starting to develop a tick over it.

I don't care how many injuries we have, Pardew seemingly cannot organise them into a certain shape or cohesive unit, which means every time we lose possession, we never win it back again until deep into our own half after the opposition have fucking waltzed up to our defensive third. He is solely responsible for that and we're hemorrhaging goals and points because of it.

The ref was fucking shit as well.

Well that was depressing...again.

Interested to see the team v Brighton, I honestly couldn't give a fuck if we go out I'm far too worried about the league.  I would say don't risk ANY of the first team that's going to face Norwich, but it doesn't even matter considering how piss poor we are at the min anyway.

Still starting shola after all these years man ffs

Aye. It's this that has pissed me off most tonight. Cult hero/mackem slayer jokes aside, he's never been good enough

Unsurprisingly the team with a plan, cohesive tactics and more energy and desire beat the one who didn't have these things. Pretty dire that, second half was truly shit. Everton were impressive though.

Guest sicko2ndbest

We never ever pick up the hoofed clearance. Everton picked up every 'out' ball today due to being aware

It's basic ffs

Unsurprisingly the team with a plan, cohesive tactics and more energy and desire beat the one who didn't have these things. Pretty dire that, second half was truly s***. Everton were impressive though.

Organised and all the players knew what their individual jobs were to play as a team.

Oh the thought of it!

Eventually, we play to our strengths and play it long, and were unlucky not to get an equaliser. It might be ugly, but in the absence of our more skilful players we don't have much choice.

We've got skill, flair and close-control in the squad.

Really? In the midfield and attack, I'd say we have three players that I'd call skilful - Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Cabaye. Four if you count Sammy, who's a bit raw. The rest all struggle to keep and use the ball when deprived of time and space. In the absence of two of those players, the balance isn't right.

Anita struggles to keep or use the ball when deprived of time?, really?

Anita isn't that neat on the ball, in truth he probably isn't that much better than Tiote... who does have it in him to play like an actual footballer, somewhere inside.

:o

How many times did he lose the ball today?

Is that the definition of a skilful player?

Part of the problem with the midfield was that we were spending so much time fighting to keep the ball by playing it sideways and backwards when under the least bit of pressure. Marveaux was the only one comfortable in possession who could lift his head up, take his time and play the ball into the feet of player further forward.

Well there's no real definition of skillfull player, but I wasn't referring to that.  I just questioned the suggestion that everyone outside of Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Cabaye struggle to keep/use the ball when deprived of time and space.

Well let's not get into an argument over the definition of 'struggle'.

I was reacting to an earlier post which said there was plenty of flair and skill in the squad. Well, at the moment, I beg to differ. Of the six players in the midfield and attack, there was only one who I'd feel confident could use the ball well when put under pressure, and that was Marveaux. The balance is wrong, and you can't play an effective 4-3-3 like that.

Not sure anyone had a good game particularly tonight which says it all, a few were alright in fits and starts or started and then faded but no-one from our mob grabbed the game by the balls. In contrast, I thought Osman was superb for them and Fellaini got better as the game went on.

Lost to West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Fulham and Southampton already this season.

How can we stay up on those results?

Cos we still have half a season left.  Tho a couple more games of being out of shape and players losing their heads then i think Alan will be jacked.

Lost to West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Fulham and Southampton already this season.

How can we stay up on those results?

Cos we still have half a season left.  Tho a couple more games of being out of shape and players losing their heads then i think Alan will be jacked.

True enough, but do you see performances getting any better in the short term?  We've got games against Norwich and Villa soon (I think), if we lose those then we really are in danger.