Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

I would say that the team very obviously picks itself for Tuesday and if it's anything other than the blatantly obvious and we don't win, then the manager has to be sacked immediately.

Obviously I'd happily give him the bullet regardless but some people have convinced themselves that he deserves some sort of chance with these players. Fail to beat this Villa side and that should be chance over.

What's this blatantly obvious team then?

Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini, MYM, Santon, Sissoko, Anita, Cabaye, Gouffran, Marveaux, Cisse.

Looks sexy, but I wouldn't say it's blatantly obvious.

Personally I probably wouldn't see Gouffran out there, we need him as a striker option on the bench and feck knows whether he or the others can manage the full 90 minutes of a Prem game. Also considering they'll only be seeing 1 or 2 training sessions I'd be astonished to see the team have 4 new players starting, and certainly wouldn't be arbitrarily be shooting shit at Pardew if it doesn't.

Nor would I even contemplate sacking him for a draw if he made the right subs, we played well, should have won, but got unlucky.

Each to his own though, as you say.

Marveaux is not a winger. Not in this league, anyway.

Edit: Although I will say he may be able to work on the right if Debuchy were behind him.

He wouldn't be playing as a winger any more than David Silva plays as a winger.

And what's the alternatives in that wide forward role? Despite very promising recruitment of late, it remains a position we are extremely light in quality. Beyond Ben Arfa and hopefully Gouffran, what are we left with? Still Obertan, Sammy and Jonas? No thanks.

:thup:

I would say that the team very obviously picks itself for Tuesday and if it's anything other than the blatantly obvious and we don't win, then the manager has to be sacked immediately.

Obviously I'd happily give him the bullet regardless but some people have convinced themselves that he deserves some sort of chance with these players. Fail to beat this Villa side and that should be chance over.

Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini, MYM, Santon, Sissoko, Anita, Cabaye, Gouffran, Marveaux, Cisse.

Personally I probably wouldn't see Gouffran out there, we need him as a striker option on the bench and feck knows whether he or the others can manage the full 90 minutes of a Prem game. Also considering they'll only be seeing 1 or 2 training sessions I'd be astonished to see the team have 4 new players starting, and certainly wouldn't be arbitrarily be shooting shit at Pardew if it doesn't.

Nor would I even contemplate sacking him for a draw if he made the right subs, we played well, should have won, but got unlucky.

And if we play shit and lose? :laugh:

I would be a massive mistake to play Willo against Benteke and Agbonlahors pace, same with Taylor. If MYM is as fast as suggested would probably be best way to combat them

Is Benteke rapid then? I've always seen him as a big lad with good touch. Likes to compete against full-backs when the ball's put in.

What are the alternatives to come into that front six?

We still need serious recruitment this month if Gouffran isn't going to play there imo, because our options in those two positions either side of a front man are truly pathetic.

Thought that'd be fairly obvious. If there we no signs of new life in the team, like Wullie, I'd want him sacked.

I would play:

Krul

Debuchy.  Mbiwa.  Coloccini.  Santon

Anita

Cabaye.          Sissoko

Gouffran.                    Marveaux

Cisse

Normally i would like to see Marv centrally, but with HBA injured our wide options don't look good. And i think that when we're in possession Anita would thrive in his natural position spraying the ball around with Sissoko and Yocab in front of him. Marv would give quality service from the left even though it's not his best position, compared to Obertan/Jonas.

Or play a central three like:

Cabaye.    Sissoko

Marveaux

Thought that'd be fairly obvious. If there we no signs of new life in the team, like Wullie, I'd want him sacked.

Crikey, pretty strong for you. Not being sarcastic btw.

From the players Wullie mentioned;

Krul

Debuchy  MYM  Coloccini  Santon

Sissoko    Anita  Marveaux

Cabaye

Gouffran              Cisse

Cabaye/Sissoko could play in either position. Marveaux isn't out on the wing and Cisse has someone to help him out with another midfielder behind them linking midfield and attack rather than leaving a huge gap. Both full back capable of getting forward.

It would end up like that anyway at times i'd imagine as Gouffran when playing on the wing likes to come inside and when Marveaux plays outwide likes to come inside too.

Sort of like how last season when we played 4-3-3 when Ben Arfa came off the wing, Ba would join Cisse in the box.

I think that is how we would play long term with the 4-3-3 Ben Arfa would drift in wards as an AM and our wide forward would join Cisse in the box with the fullbacks raining crosses in.

One can hope anyway.

I would be a massive mistake to play Willo against Benteke and Agbonlahors pace, same with Taylor. If MYM is as fast as suggested would probably be best way to combat them

Is Benteke rapid then? I've always seen him as a big lad with good touch. Likes to compete against full-backs when the ball's put in.

I don't think he looks a slouch like.

He looks a right handful and will probably face up against Colo with Gabby aiming for Willo/Taylor if either plays.

Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a game, excluding derbies.

Same here, though it's a mix of excitement and dread. Excited to see the new players involved, scared shitless that we'll lose regardless and put ourselves really in deep shit.

Must win really.

I would play:

Krul

Debuchy.  Mbiwa.  Coloccini.  Santon

Anita

Cabaye.          Sissoko

Gouffran.                    Marveaux

Cisse

Normally i would like to see Marv centrally, but with HBA injured our wide options don't look good. And i think that when we're in possession Anita would thrive in his natural position spraying the ball around with Sissoko and Yocab in front of him. Marv would give quality service from the left even though it's not his best position, compared to Obertan/Jonas.

Or play a central three like:

Cabaye.    Sissoko

Marveaux

That's the team there.

I like it, but it's not blatantly obvious. It's any 11 from the above mentioned and Jonas & Taylor.

Sounds obvious to me if they're the alternatives.

I'd agree, but we all know that isn't necessarily how the man picking our team sees it.

The power of the début, you know what its like that first game seems to bring a little of everything from a player, not sure all four should start even though Santon needs a break.

cannot see Haidara starting but Mbiwa, Sissoko and Gourffran should all start.

I wish people would stop putting Marveaux wide in a front three, not his position at all.

Then we're still in grave danger of going down. The two most important creative positions in the team and we have one player in the entire squad who can play there. And he's injured.

Could play a fairly narrow 4-2-3-1

Krul

Deb  Mbiwa    Colo  Santon

Anita  Cabaye

Gouf    Marv    Siss

Cisse

Siss Marv and Cabaye fairly fluid positioning, Anita staying deepest.