Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

According to SSN they'd been in contact since January after we were linked with McClaren. Who'd have thought that sounding someone out early would lead to a quick appointment?

They didn't have 80 applicants to wade through :lol:

According to SSN they'd been in contact since January after we were linked with McClaren. Who'd have thought that sounding someone out early would lead to a quick appointment?

To be fair, they didn't have the worlds best coach hidden in their support staff like we did.

Not everyone's as lucky as us.

Because, as I've said several times, it'll just lead to John Carver being back in charge.

Any manager with self respect would walk if we fuck them over. I'm not even sure McClaren doesn't have enugh self-respect to walk if he gets fucked over. In this scenario we should just stay with John Carver in case we may end up with John Carver again.

The best option probably isn't to hire someone who'd happily rather walk back home to Cheshire than look vaguely compromised by a physically grotesque secretary in a suit.

By that logic, we should only go for someone who's slightly better than Carver. Someone who won't have the confidence in their ability to get a similar job, and who would therefore have to accept what they're given. A Souness-type appointment.

And to save you the time, yes here speaks the man who likes Colback and Sammy, thinks Ashley walks on water etc etc

So is Vieira generally thought of as a better prospective manager than Paul Clement?

Can't say. Neither have managed in the PL. Done a bit of reading up on V and it looks like he has the self-belief.

Guest Roger Kint

why not go for Graham Fenton he's got a track record at North Shields, fits the bill, cheap ,used to working on a budget, would keep Ashley happy , Ex premiership player also league cup winner as well as recent cup winner with Shields.

Almost won trophies all over Europe then?

Clement out the running, 3 year contract at Derby! Least they don't f*** about for months

Clement reminds me of Steve Clarke. Quiet, studious behind the scene type. Probably more suited to be a Number 2 supporting a real leader than be main man. PV on other hand is a leader in the way he speaks, carries himself and his playing record alone will sweep away all doubts that he is da BIG BOSS

What I don't understand about NUFC is for a supposed 'risk averse' and 'safe' and 'unambitious' club we don't half take some silly chances.

- Carver will oversee more than half the season. That was a frightful decision.

- Pardew an 8 year contract - to be honest no-one not even Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho should be on an 8 year contract.

- Kinnear - nuff said

- Kinnear again - ditto

- Dennis Wise

etc etc

Now, even after everything, Patrick Vieira - as much potential as he has, is still unproven. In other years, yes take a punt - but this summer there are SO many good managers available. Tuchel they could have got, ditto Garde, Gourvannec, Jemez, Klopp (possibly), Emery, Bielsa even Ketsbaia etc. There are so many people available with fantastic EUROPEAN experience which suits the current model in place - and who have also got a track record of overachieving with modest clubs. There is simply no need to go for PV. It reminds me of the Ruud Gullit appointment - and even he had somewhat of a decent record at Chelsea at least. Ruud Gullit was one of the best players of his generation - but that doesn't make a good manager, which shows in his subsequent record.

Keegan worked out simply because of his pure passion he GALVANISED the club. It helped that he had an attachment to the club - he did okay at Fulham and Man City but didn't have the same impact as here, as it was part of him. He was also an overachiever as a player, achieving much more than many expected. ALl that said, he was a one-off. Bobby Robson on the other hand, was the other end of the spectrum - been there and done it all. Huge contacts, and you could see that people would want to come to the club to sign for him, even in-demand players like Hugo Viana who could have gone anywhere. That's the kind of ilk and gravitas we need. Yes although SBR was local - his wide experience and wisdom was what we benefited from most. Those two and their character were what made NUFC attractive and gave us respect. Its the same reason why people love Klopp and would take an interest in whatever club he was at.

My fear with Patrick Vieira is that whilst everyone says he was a great player - which he was, Graeme Souness was a great player. Roy Keane was. Stuart Pearce was. Didier Dechamps was. Laurent Blanc was. Great players very rarely make great managers. And even if they do, it is the more studious, unassuming ones like Guardiola (who was always the thinker and heartbeat of his sides - from day one) that make them.

Other clubs go for ambitious appointments - Spurs went for Villas-Boas at the peak of his appeal - it didn't work out for them perhaps (I still think they let him go too early) - he has just won the Russian league with Zenit for only the 4th time in their history.

Just for once, I'd like to see NUFC make a sensible choice, based on logic. No need to take risks with a 'new' exciting face like PV, nor is there need to go uber safe and boring with McClaren. Why is there no such thing as a middle ground that exists at NUFC? All this appointment requires is some balance. Garde, Bielsa, Gourvannec, Jemez etc would genuinely fit the bill, as they are fresh, new ideas but they also have a strong experience.

Why oh why is it so simple for everyone but the buffoons at the top of the board, making the decisions?!!

What I don't understand about NUFC is for a supposed 'risk averse' and 'safe' and 'unambitious' club we don't half take some silly chances.

- Carver will oversee more than half the season. That was a frightful decision.

- Pardew an 8 year contract - to be honest no-one not even Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho should be on an 8 year contract.

- Kinnear - nuff said

- Kinnear again - ditto

- Dennis Wise

etc etc

Now, even after everything, Patrick Vieira - as much potential as he has, is still unproven. In other years, yes take a punt - but this summer there are SO many good managers available. Tuchel they could have got, ditto Garde, Gourvannec, Jemez, Klopp (possibly), Emery, Bielsa even Ketsbaia etc. There are so many people available with fantastic EUROPEAN experience which suits the current model in place - and who have also got a track record of overachieving with modest clubs. There is simply no need to go for PV. It reminds me of the Ruud Gullit appointment - and even he had somewhat of a decent record at Chelsea at least. Ruud Gullit was one of the best players of his generation - but that doesn't make a good manager, which shows in his subsequent record.

Keegan worked out simply because of his pure passion he GALVANISED the club. It helped that he had an attachment to the club - he did okay at Fulham and Man City but didn't have the same impact as here, as it was part of him. He was also an overachiever as a player, achieving much more than many expected. ALl that said, he was a one-off. Bobby Robson on the other hand, was the other end of the spectrum - been there and done it all. Huge contacts, and you could see that people would want to come to the club to sign for him, even in-demand players like Hugo Viana who could have gone anywhere. That's the kind of ilk and gravitas we need. Yes although SBR was local - his wide experience and wisdom was what we benefited from most. Those two and their character were what made NUFC attractive and gave us respect. Its the same reason why people love Klopp and would take an interest in whatever club he was at.

My fear with Patrick Vieira is that whilst everyone says he was a great player - which he was, Graeme Souness was a great player. Roy Keane was. Stuart Pearce was. Didier Dechamps was. Laurent Blanc was. Great players very rarely make great managers. And even if they do, it is the more studious, unassuming ones like Guardiola (who was always the thinker and heartbeat of his sides - from day one) that make them.

Other clubs go for ambitious appointments - Spurs went for Villas-Boas at the peak of his appeal - it didn't work out for them perhaps (I still think they let him go too early) - he has just won the Russian league with Zenit for only the 4th time in their history.

Just for once, I'd like to see NUFC make a sensible choice, based on logic. No need to take risks with a 'new' exciting face like PV, nor is there need to go uber safe and boring with McClaren. Why is there no such thing as a middle ground that exists at NUFC? All this appointment requires is some balance. Garde, Bielsa, Gourvannec, Jemez etc would genuinely fit the bill, as they are fresh, new ideas but they also have a strong experience.

Why oh why is it so simple for everyone but the buffoons at the top of the board, making the decisions?!!

This basically.

Up and coming blue chip managers would want too much control. The architecture and environment at the club would clash with their forward thinking ways. The club it seems is determined to get someone who isn't going to cause waves as far as I can see. These have been the dominant signals.