Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

I'm finished with him.

At best, completely pointless but might get a tap in, at worst a complete liability. He's kept on for ninety minutes because he runs round a bit, then he ambles back and watches Osman score with no attempt to close.

Got absolutely no time for pointless footballers like him whilst we're in the Premier League. Come back if we go down and you might get a game.

I don't understand why he's wandering into central midfield so much more recently. If Pardew picks him out wide because he wants him to work up and down the line that's arguably understandable, but he's definitely not a playmaker.

This. HBA gets torn apart by the likes of Pardew for not contributing defensively and having no positional discipline yet Gouffran spent most of the game today out of position and offered nothing defensively.

Think Gouffrans had some excellent games in midfield. Although I wouldn't play him there personally. Seems to me that he's A: Been Pardew'd into becoming a defensive wide-man when he should be a wide-forward or striker and B: he's suffering from extreme burnout (as as Sissoko).

I saw right through him tonight. If he finds himself out wide in some space, he might have some responsibility (usually he manages to shirk it by giving it to Dummett but their second goal, for example, he can't do that, loses it, goal). If he stays central, he can pop it straight off to Tiote and stay well out of the bad books of idiots who prefer to take it out on players who are trying something like Sissoko and HBA.

Up there with Dyer vs Norwich for one of the all time worst performances that I've witnessed from a player in a black and white shirt. No hyperbole.

His constant moving central was baffling but we saw that against Palace. I just don't get it and it's one of the most counter-productive moves ever. It narrows us and takes away wide outlets which completely defeats the point of playing with 2 strikers, especially when the opposition are set up in such a way which means they're happy as Larry for things to always come through the middle and become congested.

We appear to have no clue when it comes to opening a team up. It's embarrassing.

His constant moving central was baffling but we saw that against Palace. I just don't get it and it's one of the most counter-productive moves ever. It narrows us and takes away wide outlets which completely defeats the point of playing with 2 strikers, especially when the opposition are set up in such a way which means they're happy as Larry for things to always come through the middle and become congested.

We appear to have no clue when it comes to opening a team up. It's embarrassing.

:pardsgrin:

It must be deliberate to have him move infield, no idea why though.

Part of me thinks it's Pardew trying to be clever by playing him as some false winger or something. The 2 up top have certainly been working the channels a lot more over the last 2 matches and I wonder if it's some sort of plan for the 2 wide players to come infield while the forwards move out. Whatever it is, it's shit and there appears to be absolutely no structure to it. It plays right into the hands of teams when we're at home.

To offer defensive cover same as Jonas used to offer. Pardew's whole game plane is based on keeping a clean sheet and hopefully scoring a goal from nowhere. Unfortunately goals from nowhere only come along once in a while and clean sheets aren't easy when you are offering yourself up to be fucked.

To offer defensive cover same as Jonas used to offer. Pardew's whole game plane is based on keeping a clean sheet and hopefully scoring a goal from nowhere. Unfortunately goals from nowhere only come along once in a while and clean sheets aren't easy when you are offering yourself up to be fucked.

It seems to happen more when we have the ball though, he dribbles it infield and passes it to a CM, or he moves infield to collect it. Not sure it's about defence, as GT says it might be some misguided attempt to generate more fluidity in the team.