Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

I hate our negativity when we go in front. Midfielders rubbing shoulders with the centre backs, so depressing. A lot of that is natural but Pardew should encourage them to push out, on the contrary I think he tells them to stay back.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Excellent. Gave my bro a massive earful at full time. The amount of abuse he gave me when we went down. Well what comes around goes around, bitch, what comes around goes around :). I can't wait until they're official relegated now, gonna do what he done to me on 24th of May 2009 only 10 times worst :).

Thank f***

Awful, awful, awful second half :(

tactics probably the same as the first but they never responded from the whistle in the second half. the players never responded to the higher pressure and tempo.

Probably the same? Or looking at all of our other performances under Pardew, were they probably different? Given that we almost always concede initiative if we're winning.

looking at today we didn't have the ball enough to see if we'd changed tactics. one thing for definite, cabaye and sissoko had nowhere near the movement looking for the ball and working in the second half, or was that pardews tactic, stand still 35yds out and don't even trail back ?

Our holding players failed to control the tempo of the game, Cabaye in particular, just got away from them. They needed to be the ones to slow it down.

Nonsense, team went right into hoof-mode. So apparent, Krul gets ball and team instantly moves up. Team is drilled to respond to pressure with long balls. Half a season of games to support this

so, afetr the first half they got the ball and thought, "hey i've got options to pass to but the manager said lump it 40yds"...bollocks man, at the start of the second half we tried to play it out and got caught through their higher tempo and cabaye and sissoko disappeared offensivly and defensivly (pretty sure thats a fitness thing)

Its about fucking time we scraped a win man. We did this loads last season as well, although maybe not as bad at times, but still - a result that reminded me of last season where I say - wow, thank fuck for Tim Krul and a few blocks or we'd have lost.

3 MASSIVE Points gained. Its progress. We won.

Thank f***

tactics probably the same as the first but they never responded from the whistle in the second half. the players never responded to the higher pressure and tempo.

Probably the same? Or looking at all of our other performances under Pardew, were they probably different? Given that we almost always concede initiative if we're winning.

looking at today we didn't have the ball enough to see if we'd changed tactics. one thing for definite, cabaye and sissoko had nowhere near the movement looking for the ball and working in the second half, or was that pardews tactic, stand still 35yds out and don't even trail back ?

I think this is a point that needs to be understood. Obviously Pardew didn't manage to shore things up at all, but the game fragmented and turned into a situation where almost no gameplan was going to be implementable.

If you remove Gutierrez from the pitch at some point that could have gone a long way to sorting things out.

honestly think the main difference was sissokonand cabaye lookiong fucked.

Villa drop into relegation spot on goal difference, with Reading 1 point behind them with a game in hand.

Excellent.

Reading's game in hand is Chelsea tomorrow night, not exactly a game in hand.

QPR won away at Chelsea you muppet.

Aye, and Southamptons game in hand was at Chelsea as well and they got a point.

Being positive. Before the game it was all about winning and not the performance. We won. Debutants looked solid. We move on and upwards. Personally I believe that is a harder game than Chelsea on Saturday. This game had so much pressure on it, 10 days waiting and we came through with 3 points. IMO it would have been a lot more comfortable if they didn't get that penalty so early in the second half.

The confidence the players should gain from not only winning, but holding on for the three points will be significant IMO. Too many games this season we have dropped our arse when in a lead, and left with 1 point, or 0.

Sissoko and Gouffy did well. Thought they looked a little bit tired, hence the subs.

Pardew - Meh.

Onwards and upwards.

Being positive. Before the game it was all about winning and not the performance. We won. Debutants looked solid. We move on and upwards. Personally I believe that is a harder game than Chelsea on Saturday. This game had so much pressure on it, 10 days waiting and we came through with 3 points. IMO it would have been a lot more comfortable if they didn't get that penalty so early in the second half.

The confidence the players should gain from not only winning, but holding on for the three points will be significant IMO. Too many games this season we have dropped our arse when in a lead, and left with 1 point, or 0.

Sissoko and Gouffy did well. Thought they looked a little bit tired, hence the subs.

Pardew - Meh.

Onwards and upwards.

Yep, in the morning I will happy to agree with this fully.

Thank f***

I think this is a point that needs to be understood. Obviously Pardew didn't manage to shore things up at all, but the game fragmented and turned into a situation where almost no gameplan was going to be implementable.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth criticising the substitutions. They didn't improve things, but we were in trouble before and he needed to try to make some changes.

In the first half, our pressing game looked better than it had all season. In the second half, it disappeared, right from the start. We backed off and let them pick a pass / long ball at their leisure. And when we recovered the ball, the man in possession seemed to have no options.

Chelsea are going to poop on our faces.

I can see us playing the game we should have played today against Chelsea, when we're expected to lose we're like a cornered rabid dog going for the jugular, the irony being if we play like that in all our games we wouldn't be in this mess.

We only fear the s*** teams cuz we know what will happen if we lose against them. Thoroughly expect a sterling performance against them.

When have we turned it on this season? I'm feeling surprisingly down beat after our first away victory. Wish those two halves had been reversed, we'd all be buzzing right now :lol:

Arsenal, Manyoo, both games we really attacked and kept the ball at feet, fair enough we got nothing but if we played like that consistently we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Fucking hell what a tense second half that was!

So, so important that we held on for the 3 points, losing a 2 goal lead here would've been terrible for confidence.

At least the new lads know a bit more about this league now, Sissoko looks top quality and HBA and Tiote still to come in - cautiously optimistic....

Chelsea are going to poop on our faces.

I can see us playing the game we should have played today against Chelsea, when we're expected to lose we're like a cornered rabid dog going for the jugular, the irony being if we play like that in all our games we wouldn't be in this mess.

We only fear the s*** teams cuz we know what will happen if we lose against them. Thoroughly expect a sterling performance against them.

When have we turned it on this season? I'm feeling surprisingly down beat after our first away victory. Wish those two halves had been reversed, we'd all be buzzing right now :lol:

Arsenal, Manyoo, both games we really attacked and kept the ball at feet, fair enough we got nothing but if we played like that consistently we wouldn't be in this predicament.

in both games we ran out of steam. fitness more of an issue than tactics ?

I dunno what it is but whenever S.Taylor plays we always seem far less likely to concede. Don't get me wrong I know the lad has flaws and made a few mistakes today even but something about his attitude rubs off on the others and we seem stronger defensively. Could not see us hanging on there with Williamson playing.

Thank f***

Yeah, I don't think it's worth criticising the substitutions. They didn't improve things, but we were in trouble before and he needed to try to make some changes.

In the first half, our pressing game looked better than it had all season. In the second half, it disappeared, right from the start. We backed off and let them pick a pass / long ball at their leisure. And when we recovered the ball, the man in possession seemed to have no options.

Yep, combined with the soft pen and the crowd/Villa getting lifted led to a terminal turnaround in the momentum of the game.

Not necessarily Pardew's fault, he just didn't manage to stop it very well.

Once again, great first 45, fuckin terrible second 45

Great stuff in 1st half, good to watch us play and looked so comfortable (as we did against Reading)...

But 2nd half, instant pressure from Villa and Debuchy give a Titus Bramblesque penalty away and i couldnt see us getting owt. Somehow we did.

I hope this somehow starts some positivity, but really we could do with a point at the weekend to get some momentum going. Away win, so happy.