Newcastle United 4 - 2 Southampton - 24/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

I agree he gained an advantage, but it was clearly accidental and I don't think there's anything in the rules that allow accidental handball to be given.

If they allow decisions like this to go in favour of the defender, you'll have defenders flailing their arms all over the place in the hope that they get in the way of the ball, whilst claiming it was ball to hand.

I agree he gained an advantage, but it was clearly accidental and I don't think there's anything in the rules that allow accidental handball to be given.

If they allow decisions like this to go in favour of the defender, you'll have defenders flailing their arms all over the place in the hope that they get in the way of the ball, whilst claiming it was ball to hand.

Aye that's possible I suppose, probably the best argument for giving it. I just don't like to see the game changed because the ball is blasted off someone's hand from a yard.

seems to be a fairly clear distinction by refs, hands down by the side, not given, hands up/ waving around = pen.

Reet after seeing the highlights again I think it's fair to say today was a rare deserved home win despite us starting both halves slowly, the latter which is something that is becoming an alarming trend these days but hey ho today it didn't matter. Once we grew in to the game I thought we controlled better and better as the game went on and although we were a bit slapdash in midfield off the ball and in the full back areas we were more than good enough on the ball to overcompensate this. Still struggling to get my head round how good Sissoko is, if he continues like this it'll be possibly one of the best signings of modern times. Cabaye, on the ball, was brilliant again I thought aside from set-pieces which are getting ever more frustrating. Think Pardew, despite not being much of a fan, deserves a lot of credit for managing 2 wins out of 2 n all, nice to see him playing positive for a change.

Elliott - 7 - good dist. out the hand and a good save from the FK, goals would've taken a worldy to be saved

Debuchy - 7 - started slow, especially for their goal but grew into it well

Colocinni/MYM - 7- played well, no errors

Taylor - 6.5 - not great for the first goal, fine aside from - makes a difference at attacking set-pieces massively

Santon 6 - poor for the second goal and not the only time he was caught out but at least he has product to his attacking play now

Tiote - 7 - best for a while, the mad lunatic

Cabaye - 7.5 - superb on the ball, lovely pen/FK for pen

Gutierrez - 6 - fairly poor but nowt concerning

Sissoko - 7.5 - imposing as always

Gouffran - 7 - great for the first, in and out otherwise

Cisse - 7.5 - worldy goal and ran about like a mad cunt aside from, best for a long while.

Reet after seeing the highlights again I think it's fair to say today was a rare deserved home win despite us starting both halves slowly, the latter which is something that is becoming an alarming trend these days but hey ho today it didn't matter. Once we grew in to the game I thought we controlled better and better as the game went on and although we were a bit slapdash in midfield off the ball and in the full back areas we were more than good enough on the ball to overcompensate this. Still struggling to get my head round how good Sissoko is, if he continues like this it'll be possibly one of the best signings of modern times. Cabaye, on the ball, was brilliant again I thought aside from set-pieces which are getting ever more frustrating. Think Pardew, despite not being much of a fan, deserves a lot of credit for managing 2 wins out of 2 n all, nice to see him playing positive for a change.

Elliott - 7 - good dist. out the hand and a good save from the FK, goals would've taken a worldy to be saved

Debuchy - 7 - started slow, especially for their goal but grew into it well

Colocinni/MYM - 7- played well, no errors

Taylor - 6.5 - not great for the first goal, fine aside from - makes a difference at attacking set-pieces massively

Santon 6 - poor for the second goal and not the only time he was caught out but at least he has product to his attacking play now

Tiote - 7 - best for a while, the mad lunatic

Cabaye - 7.5 - superb on the ball, lovely pen/FK for pen

Gutierrez - 6 - fairly poor but nowt concerning

Sissoko - 7.5 - imposing as always

Gouffran - 7 - great for the first, in and out otherwise

Cisse - 7.5 - worldy goal and ran about like a mad cunt aside from, best for a long while.

I would say Gouffran maybe deserves at least parity with Moussa and Debuchy was MOTM but those ratings are what I would go with.

Didn't see the game but thought Taylor was at fault for both goals just on the highlights, 6.5 seems a bit high considering that? How did he look for the most part? Also must say Debuchy looked to be making a massive difference going forward just on those highlights.

I thought he played well and for me he was in no at fault for the second and only part for the first although I appreciate others may feel differently.

Completely agree, first he was a little at fault as far as every goal must be someone's fault, the second was Santon/whoever was supposed to be covering Santon allowing them to have free reign down the right wing.

In general Steven Taylor did well.

Excellent, excellent game of football. Poor start but after going behind I thought we were excellent and really enjoyed how we were patient and never really panicked. Disappointing goal to concede in the second half from a defensive point of view but always thought we had enough to see it through. A couple of touches of fortune about the win but we most certainly earned it with what was a very positive attacking display.

Between Tiote and Debuchy for Man of the Match imo, though I cannot completely discredit Sissoko, who was again excellent with his pace, energy and intelligent movement. He just gives us so much drive and intensity going forward, he's the player we've lacked for a long time and we look so much better with him in the side. Tiote undoubtedly had his best performance of the season, he was everywhere defensively and felt his distribution was very good as well. Debuchy had Shaw in his back pocket all game and beat him every time going forward then did the same to Fox when he came on.

Cisse's goal was a joy to behold, one of the best I've seen at SJP for a while and one that he deserved. The presence and energy of Gouffran is a big help up top and helps take some of the pressure off Cisse up top imo. Cool penalty from Cabaye, who was decent once again, and while I think Santon was arguably our worst player due to his defensive naivety even he ended up with an assist.

The result was a testament to the spirit in the squad, we showed great resilience to comeback and regain the lead in the second half and the togetherness was there for all to see in the celebrations for the Cisse goal, a group of players congratulating him and another congratulating Elliot, who had a very solid game overall.

I just hope that the positivity on the pitch can be transferred to the fans, a lot of people near where I was sat seem to eager to get on players' backs straight away. I know that is the norm but the almost constant negativity irritates me and doesn't help the atmosphere at all. Still I guess that will fade with more results.

The whole French Day thing was perhaps a tad overdone, but it was a laugh and good marketing from the club. Nice to see us doing something different.

Cracking day all round :thup: :)

Also another half another shite start.  Who's to blame for that....

That lad who sits behind Pards, giving him abuse at the start of each half irrespective of the team. Doing with his head, innit.

Piss off you twat.

:lol: you're a joke of a supporter. People genuinely think you're the SRS of N-O, then they realise people have actually met you :lol:

Excellent, excellent game of football. Poor start but after going behind I thought we were excellent and really enjoyed how we were patient and never really panicked. Disappointing goal to concede in the second half from a defensive point of view but always thought we had enough to see it through. A couple of touches of fortune about the win but we most certainly earned it with what was a very positive attacking display.

Between Tiote and Debuchy for Man of the Match imo, though I cannot completely discredit Sissoko, who was again excellent with his pace, energy and intelligent movement. He just gives us so much drive and intensity going forward, he's the player we've lacked for a long time and we look so much better with him in the side. Tiote undoubtedly had his best performance of the season, he was everywhere defensively and felt his distribution was very good as well. Debuchy had Shaw in his back pocket all game and beat him every time going forward then did the same to Fox when he came on.

Cisse's goal was a joy to behold, one of the best I've seen at SJP for a while and one that he deserved. The presence and energy of Gouffran is a big help up top and helps take some of the pressure off Cisse up top imo. Cool penalty from Cabaye, who was decent once again, and while I think Santon was arguably our worst player due to his defensive naivety even he ended up with an assist.

The result was a testament to the spirit in the squad, we showed great resilience to comeback and regain the lead in the second half and the togetherness was there for all to see in the celebrations for the Cisse goal, a group of players congratulating him and another congratulating Elliot, who had a very solid game overall.

I just hope that the positivity on the pitch can be transferred to the fans, a lot of people near where I was sat seem to eager to get on players' backs straight away. I know that is the norm but the almost constant negativity irritates me and doesn't help the atmosphere at all. Still I guess that will fade with more results.

The whole French Day thing was perhaps a tad overdone, but it was a laugh and good marketing from the club. Nice to see us doing something different.

Cracking day all round :thup: :)

:thup: good summary, thought Debuchy had his best game for us (at least going forward). I thought Shaw was supposed to be their left back with Rodriguez on the left of the front three :dontknow: Southampton played well for periods of the match, but didn't have the quality to keep it going for sustained periods. They should stay up comfortably, as they're far better than QPR, s*nderland, Villa, Wigan from what I've seen this season.

We needed this win and I'm pleased we managed it, but it wasn't as easy as the score-line looked.

Elliot had a decent game in goal, not to blame for either goal - Tiote had his best game for ages and we needed that performance because they often went through us on the flanks...esp on Santon's side. Gouffran once again ran his heart out and Sissoko's goal was down to him, but Gouffran spent too much time covering for Santon and that undoubtedly took some steam out of him.

Cabaye was class - hope he is OK, we need this player more than any other and it will be a miracle if we manage to hang on to him because he looks as if he could play at the very top. Why he hasn't been given Pens to take before now is a mystery to me because I just knew he would take a good one and so it proved.

Def a pen too - blatant arm up to Debuchy's cross in the area.

The OG really killed them off - had that not happened we could have been struggling to hang on to the lead. They are a good side and Pochettino has them well organized......if we had that sort of organization with our players......

Sissoko's non-stop running was a big asset and Cisse's goal brilliantly taken - much frustration evident in the way he hit that volley..!

A bit of pressure off now - lets see how we handle Swansea...and Laudrup.