Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Set up well today, individual errors ruined it. Think some of the players in 'our greatest team ever assembled' just aren't at that level.

Still, all is not lost, Benfica aren't up to that much.

P.s Please kick the Benfica fans off here. Their players are a face-holding pack of quims, don't want to read any of their shite.

Get a grip.

I've got to agree with him. A few days ago they started to come on here saying Pardew was disrespecting them. Trying to compare playing us to playing Rio Ave.

Yeah, hugely disappointed in Cabaye tonight. Beyond the individual errors, Cabs is about the only player you can lay into tonight. He was anonymous in that position beyond a couple of gratuitous Hollywood balls that came to nothing. Needs to give his head a shake after that and pick himself up for Sunday, because we need him badly.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

And by the way, Cissé is a real beast, very powerful and dangerous. Good thing he kept aiming at the post  :naughty:

And by the way, Cissé is a real beast, very powerful and dangerous. Good thing he kept aiming at the post  :naughty:

:lol: I feel like this joke would be funnier tomorrow.

More disappointed in the way we gave up the goals rather than how we played which was okay. A bit more luck and we could have had a couple extra goals. Taylor is a decent player, but he seems quite prone to gamesmanship or stupid mistakes. Santon with a bad back pass and they've been crucial in the first leg defeat. Right now I think it will be a tough ask to win 2-0, but next week with a good atmosphere who knows. It does makes a change from AZ Alkmaar (4-2 lead) and Sporting Lisbon (1-0 lead) in the past when we were more positive going into a second leg.

They're a much better side than us in all fairness. We showed in fits and starts that we could be a better side than them with the same personnel, but we're not.

They understand each other, they have discipline and are on the same wavelength. They concede a goal and it galvanises them. We concede a goal and it shatters us. They fall behind, it motivates them. We fall behind, our heads drop.

No blame to anyone in particular tonight (not even Santon and Saylor). They pressured us well and deserved the win. They are absolutely laden with cheating cunts, but anyone who expected otherwise was deluding themselves from the off. That wasn't the deciding factor tonight, it was just an added annoyance. One of the linos got my goat, but again that wasn't a deciding factor, they're just a better team than we are - who created oodles of chances.

Krul made a bit of a howler at the start, shaking off the rust after being sidelined, but his shot-stopping was immaculate after that. His distribution sucked balls (as per, sadly). Cardozo's penalties were both great tbh, didn't stand a chance. Good to see him encouraging Santon a little bit after the second goal, after initially (rightly) having a go at him.

Santon and MYM both had really good moments surrounded by complete brainfarts. Santon's cost us big time.

Saylor is a funny one, and I hope this doesn't sound like I want him to fail.. but I'm always expecting that moment, that bull in a china shop moment of madness/stupidity. He was holding one of their player's shirts in the first half, and with these lot, you can't give them an inch. They'll appeal for non-incidents for the full 90 minutes, give them a real incident and they'll cry and sulk to the ref until they get their way.

Simpson... he was Simpson.

Cabaye was disappointing, not sure if he is still carrying a knock. Had less running in him than usual. I won't discuss Perch because I want to remain vaguely calm.

Marv and Jonas were my MOTM (latter probably shading it). Jonas was great going forwards and backwards, transitioning play well and looking like the Jonas from 2 seasons ago. Very pleasing to see (even if sadly it is all for nowt :(). Marv did great when we got him on the ball in the right areas.

Cisse had a fantastic performance... in a way. His movement was top class, and he highlighted what a massive danger he can be - his all round game was even better than it's been lately, but I can't tiptoe around it - with the chances he was served he should have come away with more than one goal. "Unlucky" isn't what I'd call hitting the post when put through. He tried an overly-nonchalant finish, and his shooting/finishing has not been even close to the form to justify him being that way.

I remember Vorm saying Cisse's finish was lucky after his second away at the Liberty last season. Immediately sprang to my mind.

Pardew picked the right team for my money. His bench I disagree with, but the XI on the pitch came out motivated and hungry. His press stuff has been nauseating, and I've managed to avoid most of it until today, but I can't argue with what he did today really unless I'm being a right biased bastard with an agenda :lol: Jesus changed the game for Benfica when he got them to press, and Pardew didn't have an answer though. His weakest attribute is maybe his in-game analysis. Brian McDermott bested him earlier this season. With Reading.

We still look horrific defending set plays, and we're always quite close to pull-down-our-pants-and-bend-over-seductively capitulation. Our attacking set plays thankfully weren't on show today, and our defending still looks a chaotic mess, rather than a structured plan. These are all long-term issues which all contributed, but were not determinative, in today's defeat/why Benfica are the better team and will finish us off next week.

Expect a more timid Newcastle next week. Pressure of playing at home/seeking goals will not suit us at all. They will counter us destructively would be my wager :(

Won't see Europe again in ages, which is fucking horrific as a prospect (I get hooked quickly :laugh:). We need to resign ourselves to scrapping with a different rabble from a different SoL... :( Need a bit of luck with injuries for the rest of the season, but think tonight definitely marks the end of the fun part of our season.

2012-13 RIP

Some pathetic excuses for Taylor's handball. It's clear as daylight and he has a long history of them.

He actually moves his arm a fair bit towards it, seeing it again.

They need to get themselves up for Fulham now though. Regardless of luck and rub of the green and how we've played that's 3 losses off the bounce now and they need to put it right on Sunday afternoon.

Start as we did tonight and go at Fulham from the off. We need those 3 points.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

:lol: I feel like this joke would be funnier tomorrow.

Yeah probably, i'll just save that kind of comment for another day  O0

Difference between tonight & previous games is that Benfica were good enough to make us pay whereas others didn't.

We, on the otherhand didnt capitalise on theirs.

No qualms about the result, they were as impressive as I expected them to be. At least we're still in the tie.

Krul 8.5

Simpson 7

MYM 5.5

Taylor 4

Santon 3

Cabaye 4

Perch 4

Marveaux 7

Sissoko 6.5

Jonas 7

Cisse 8

Subs-n/a

Cisse was very good, Sissoko and Krul good and Jonas and Simpson OK. But the rest either anonymous like Marveaux and Anita or terrible like Santon, Taylor, MYM, Cabaye, Perch, and Shola.

Am I the only one that thinks that Cabaye is pretty useless as a DM? He runs around a lot, but tackles poorly and he's a dirty bastard. He'd be much better further up the pitch.

Berbatov must be licking his lips if he watched that. If we lose to Fulham the second leg is immaterial and we will have to rest players, as if we were then to lose to the mackems we would almost certainly be down.

Our own undoing tonight. Another European capitulation. We're still not out of it but we're not dealing with teams like Anzi or Metalist any more, Benfica are clinical and the fans and team are going to have to be at their best to get through next week.

Difference between tonight & previous games is that Benfica were good enough to make us pay whereas others didn't.

No qualms about the result, they were as impressive as I expected them to be.

:thup: :thup:

Looking forward to the diving, timewasting, faceholding, ref niggling, cheating, fight starting second leg performance from Benfica.

Hope so. Need something to work the crowd, and we all know it isn't going to be our football.

No qualms about the result, they were as impressive as I expected them to be. At least we're still in the tie.

Krul 8.5

Simpson 7

MYM 5.5

Taylor 4

Santon 3

Cabaye 4

Perch 4

Marveaux 7

Sissoko 6.5

Jonas 7

Cisse 8

Subs-n/a