Alan Pardew

Mike

I don't even have a problem with Ashley's business model, I am a fan of our recruitment strategy. Except it's all rendered useless when you put the wrong man in the manager's chair.

I don't either but the manager is part of the model unfortunately.

It's possible that Ashley is raging at Pardew's performance as well. He didn't hand him a long contract to have us battling relegation every year. Not sacking him yet doesn't mean he's happy to put up with this level of performance for ever.

Strangely I do agree with you Ian :lol: but I'm not saying he's happy at last year, I think he'd be happy if we were to finish around 10th every year, I don't think he has ambition other than what his p&l looks like.

I feel sick at the thought they've kept him on. I really cannot get behind him next season, hope loads of people vote with their feet, the lack of ambition the club are showing is sickening.

Can't see too many of the players being happy.

Jesus wept, man :lol:

I dislike Pardew but this melodramatic bollocks is just laughable. Can't get behind him? You'll be singing his name if we start next season like we did 11/12.

The club you are happy to support isn't the club I want to support. It's called ambition and you've got none.

As for singing his name after a few decent results, now that is laughable bollocks.

I want to support a club that wins. Is that not ambition? I don't think Pardew is the man for the job, I'd prefer him sacked, but he's not the devil incarnate. He's just a bloke who doesn't look to be too great at his job who has been given a stay of execution.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't muster the energy to get that worked up about this. Nothing to do with lack of ambition, I just don't see how it's going to have a profoundly negative impact on the club in the long term.

I can see it having a long term effect. At the moment we have rebuilt our reputation and our ability to attract very good players to the club, if however we face another season of utter shit, that reputation will falter and the resulting effects will be players leaving, unable to attract a top manager/player.

We managed to do that when Pardew was a nobody who'd just been sacked by Southampton. We can still do that now. We didn't struggle to attract three French internationals in January.

I don't even have a problem with Ashley's business model, I am a fan of our recruitment strategy. Except it's all rendered useless when you put the wrong man in the manager's chair.

It's possible that Ashley is raging at Pardew's performance as well. He didn't hand him a long contract to have us battling relegation every year. Not sacking him yet doesn't mean he's happy to put up with this level of performance for ever.

Strangely I do agree with you Ian :lol: but I'm not saying he's happy at last year, I think he'd be happy if we were to finish around 10th every year, I don't think he has ambition other than what his p&l looks like.

I think he would rather be associated with the club in a way which is enjoyable and boosts his status as well though. He doesn't want to subsidise us obviously, but I don't think he bought us primarily to make money. There are much easier ways than football to do that. We've been through this argument loads of times anyway, unless we could ask him we're all just guessing.

I feel sick at the thought they've kept him on. I really cannot get behind him next season, hope loads of people vote with their feet, the lack of ambition the club are showing is sickening.

I dislike Pardew but this melodramatic bollocks is just laughable. Can't get behind him? You'll be singing his name if we start next season like we did 11/12.

The club you are happy to support isn't the club I want to support. It's called ambition and you've got none.

As for singing his name after a few decent results, now that is laughable bollocks.

I want to support a club that wins. Is that not ambition? I don't think Pardew is the man for the job, I'd prefer him sacked, but he's not the devil incarnate. He's just a bloke who doesn't look to be too great at his job who has been given a stay of execution.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't muster the energy to get that worked up about this. Nothing to do with lack of ambition, I just don't see how it's going to have a profoundly negative impact on the club in the long term.

I can see it having a long term effect. At the moment we have rebuilt our reputation and our ability to attract very good players to the club, if however we face another season of utter shit, that reputation will falter and the resulting effects will be players leaving, unable to attract a top manager/player.

We managed to do that when Pardew was a nobody who'd just been sacked by Southampton. We can still do that now. We didn't struggle to attract three French internationals in January.

I think the players already at the club are probably the most important factor in attracting new ones, along with the massive stadium and mental fans etc. HBA, Sissoko, Cabaye, Debuchy, Cisse etc... these are respected and well-know players that new recruits will want to play alongside. We've always been told that most footballers hardly care who the manager is most of the time.

True, which is why I said that the owner has to take ultimate responsibility. Pardew should have been sacked but Ashley bottled it because he didn't want to deal with a real manager who would give him a hard time.

I think the players already at the club are probably the most important factor in attracting new ones, along with the massive stadium and mental fans etc. HBA, Sissoko, Cabaye, Debuchy, Cisse etc... these are respected and well-know players that new recruits will want to play alongside. We've always been told that most footballers hardly care who the manager is most of the time.

That can work both ways, these same players who were initially so excited to be here might now be telling their mates abroad the club's great but the coach is a dinosaur. What do you think the likes of Anita will be telling his pals for example?

I can see it having a long term effect. At the moment we have rebuilt our reputation and our ability to attract very good players to the club, if however we face another season of utter s***, that reputation will falter and the resulting effects will be players leaving, unable to attract a top manager/player.

I am also concerned about the long term effect.  The main thing this club has going for it is the fanbase.  Lose that because of increased apathy due to the lack of ambition from the club then what do you have?  They need to be very careful because you have to give the supporters something to look forward to if the club is not able to challenge for trophies.  At the very least as a fan you want to be able to enjoy the match and have belief that you are able (and willing) to compete.  Affordable tickets will only work for so long if there is something worthwhile to watch and a reason to keep coming back.

This constant dampening and manipulation of the expectations of fans will damage them eventually.

I think the constant message that we can't expect to compete in certain matches or for certain players, that we can't expect to keep players, the comparisons of ourselves with Wigan and Fulham, the difficulty of getting away tickets, the lack of communication and deliberate misinformation etc etc will eventually lead to an increasing number of supporters thinking what's the point.  As has been seen already, once supporters are pushed away for whatever reason, they are unlikely to come back.

Guest neesy111

That can work both ways, these same players who were initially so excited to be here might now be telling their mates abroad the club's great but the coach is a dinosaur. What do you think the likes of Anita will be telling his pals for example?

It's up and down, up and down. 

I think he would rather be associated with the club in a way which is enjoyable and boosts his status as well though. He doesn't want to subsidise us obviously, but I don't think he bought us primarily to make money. There are much easier ways than football to do that. We've been through this argument loads of times anyway, unless we could ask him we're all just guessing.

It's impossible to call of course, only a select few know his true intentions, but it doesn't look good ATM does it? He's backed a poor manager and had Lambiarse come out and give such a negative, un-ambitious statement about expectations. I haven't the foresight to predict next season but I'm not expecting much, if anything. I'll guess we'll see in hindsight, the proof will be Ashley's reaction to a bad start next season. If we come out and put in some real performances I'll take everything back.

True, which is why I said that the owner has to take ultimate responsibility. Pardew should have been sacked but Ashley bottled it because he didn't want to deal with a real manager who would give him a hard time.

Totally agree and you can see on this board a lot of the anguish has been turned against Ashley, the tide has turned over the past few days.

I don't think the following is knee-jerk at all: there is a real risk that we will be in the bottom 3 at Christmas; and I can't see us facing anything apart from a relegation battle again with him in charge. So much of the modern game is down to tactical nouse, getting the most out of your players and man-management; he's one of the worst in the division at all 3. He has, on more than one occasion, played Cisse on the wing to accommodate Shola Ameobi. Just repeat that to yourselves a few times, man.

As Wullie correctly alludes to, he constantly belittles the club and is seemingly hellbent on dulling our ambition. How dare he tell us we are lucky to get a point away at piddly little towns like West Bromwich; that we can't get near competing with the top 5. It's your job to try and bridge the gap, not consolidate it with your crippling lack of ambition and blatant self-preservation.

He's a puppet manager who is way out of his depth at Premier League level, let alone at a club which should be challenging for Europe on a regular basis, based on playing staff alone. He stifles creativity and attacking impetus in favour of abstract, British-based concepts like "grit" and a defensive solidarity which is pointless to try and base your entire game on, given the skill, flair and pace of many attacking players in the division.

Worst of all he publicly says that our players are not good enough and that we are unrealistic. He's a bellend.

Anyone jibing on about stability is bullshitting themselves; it's because he's cheap, he knows he won't get a better job so he'll take what he is given transfer wise and not moan about it and he can be controlled by Ashley and Llambias at will.

Just another in the long line of owners of the club who have never had its best interests at heart.

We've got a good base to work from.  If he can't do it with this squad then it's time to go.  Yes, he should have been sacked, yes, he's shite, yes, the football we're playing makes vomiting preferable to watching the match and yes, he is our manager.

I'll never want him to fail here, I hope he does a great job (can't see it).

This season has to have been a shock to the system of everyone involved and hopefully he's learnt a lesson.  We can only wait and see.

We've got a good base to work from.  If he can't do it with this squad then it's time to go.  Yes, he should have been sacked, yes, he's s****, yes, the football we're playing makes vomiting preferable to watching the match and yes, he is our manager.

I'll never want him to fail here, I hope he does a great job (can't see it).

This season has to have been a shock to the system of everyone involved and hopefully he's learnt a lesson.  We can only wait and see.

I would like to echo this sentiment :thup:

Any one who really thinks Ashley only keeps Pardew because he doesn't want a manager "to give him a hard time" really doesn't know how he runs his businesses. He expects his managers to stand up for themselves but spells out in no uncertain terms what is expected. He also follows the reasoning that anyone can have a bad spell and doesn't chop and change knee jerk style ( a mistake he made in the early days of us when he listened to "football" advisers!) but again, expects them to sort it out quickly - look at the performance of S.D. over the last 5 years. Pardew will be in no doubt that he will be out if a significant improvement is not seen very early next season.

Any one who really thinks Ashley only keeps Pardew because he doesn't want a manager "to give him a hard time" really doesn't know how he runs his businesses. He expects his managers to stand up for themselves but spells out in no uncertain terms what is expected. He also follows the reasoning that anyone can have a bad spell and doesn't chop and change knee jerk style ( a mistake he made in the early days of us when he listened to "football" advisers!) but again, expects them to sort it out quickly - look at the performance of S.D. over the last 5 years. Pardew will be in no doubt that he will be out if a significant improvement is not seen very early next season.

What I have been trying to say, just not as well as this :thup:

That is how I viewed him initially, I was convinced that Pardew was getting sacked when the season closed, it was the perfect situation to get rid of a clearly incompetent manager. You talk of significant improvement next season but what's more likely to happen is we'll have a mediocre season but stay safe and trundle on, as we'll have a better squad than most of the division. Not that it made much difference this season.

Ashley also gives great store to his employees (see the bonuses the S.D. staff get for success) and I don't believe he will accept "trundling on" as acceptable - he expects year on year improvement and the public declaration of a top 10 finish next season will be the absolute minimum and will be based on an aim on where he expects to finish the season after as most good business plans are - what level that is however is the great unknown as far as we are concerned and it is this that will determine the level of investment he is prepared to make and, ultimately, the future of Pardew - if he still thinks he is the man to get us to that level that quickly.

I don't think the transfer policy is that good. We sign players for positions but we don't look greatly at the type of player.

I heard a story about SAF. He was going to sign either Cole or Collymore. He went with Cole because he's better in tight spaces, twisting and turning. Where as Collymore was more of a flat-track bully, perfect for counter-attacks. But Man Utd. often played against deep defences so he went with Cole.

We wouldn't analyse it that way. He's good, he's good but A's 30% cheaper we'll go for him is our approach. With Marveaux/Gosling we just signed them because they're meant to be good and available on a free. It's opportunistic rather than cerebral. Has its perks, HBA for example. Quality player, available for cheap - signed. But it's not great for building a team. Players are signed because they're good value, rather than because of their specific skillset.

We where signing Mapou before the Colo problems. IMO they wouldn't be a good partnership. Not big or strong enough as a pair. But we didn't think of that. Mapou's good, he's a CB. Sign him up.

We might have thought of that and you might be wrong.