Alan Pardew

Mike

We where signing Mapou before the Colo problems. IMO they wouldn't be a good partnership. Not big or strong enough as a pair. But we didn't think of that. Mapou's good, he's a CB. Sign him up.

Or it could be that the club knew of Colos "issues" well before us and went after a similar type of player.

I don't think the transfer policy is that good. We sign players for positions but we don't look greatly at the type of player.

I heard a story about SAF. He was going to sign either Cole or Collymore. He went with Cole because he's better in tight spaces, twisting and turning. Where as Collymore was more of a flat-track bully, perfect for counter-attacks. But Man Utd. often played against deep defences so he went with Cole.

We wouldn't analyse it that way. He's good, he's good but A's 30% cheaper we'll go for him is our approach. With Marveaux/Gosling we just signed them because they're meant to be good and available on a free. It's opportunistic rather than cerebral. Has its perks, HBA for example. Quality player, available for cheap - signed. But it's not great for building a team. Players are signed because they're good value, rather than because of their specific skillset.

Its impossible for our system to work like your example because our manager doesn't decide on signings (which is a very good thing considering our manager).  The likes of Carr can look into a player as much as they want but no amount of research will make that player fit the way we play if him and our manager see Football in a fundamentally different way.

I don't think the transfer policy is that good. We sign players for positions but we don't look greatly at the type of player.

I heard a story about SAF. He was going to sign either Cole or Collymore. He went with Cole because he's better in tight spaces, twisting and turning. Where as Collymore was more of a flat-track bully, perfect for counter-attacks. But Man Utd. often played against deep defences so he went with Cole.

We wouldn't analyse it that way. He's good, he's good but A's 30% cheaper we'll go for him is our approach. With Marveaux/Gosling we just signed them because they're meant to be good and available on a free. It's opportunistic rather than cerebral. Has its perks, HBA for example. Quality player, available for cheap - signed. But it's not great for building a team. Players are signed because they're good value, rather than because of their specific skillset.

Its impossible for our system to work like your example because our manager doesn't decide on signings (which is a very good thing considering our manager).  The likes of Carr can look into a player as much as they want but no amount of research will make that player fit the way we play if him and our manager see Football in a fundamentally different way.

:thup:

I'd hope we would. In fact I'm pretty certain the discussion about a new player would go beyond Pardew texting Carr "OMG i need a left bck k thx bi x"

There's a lot of people stating speculation as fact. Why did we got for someone like MYM when we could've got someone like Nicolas Isimat-Mirin for a fraction of the price?

Is it completely mental to think that Pardew might decide to set us up more attacking from the off next season? Being negative f***ers didn't exactly work.

That would be the logical thing to do, and I hope ashley told him to stop the hoofing it, but more attacking working in the previous season hardly convinced him it would work this last season did it

Is it completely mental to think that Pardew might decide to set us up more attacking from the off next season? Being negative f***ers didn't exactly work.

Even if he tries it you know what would happen after our first defeat.

I'm willing to give Pardew another chance. I don't think it is a fair conclusion to say that last season's success was somehow lucky or the result of sheer talent and the vestiges of Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew. The two years are really mirror images of one another. Last season everything went better than you could really have hoped for. Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa just took to the team incredibly well and became leaders of the side, despite having half a year's experience in England between them. Young players like Krul and Santon blended in seamlessly. Rubbish reserves like Ryan Taylor, Williamson, and Guthrie, and Ameobi were able to hold things steady when we were inevitably struck by injuries and suspensions. We did play quite conservatively, but it worked because we were reasonably stout defensively, excluding Spurs, Norwich, and Fulham where it fell apart. We were also a consistent attacking threat through direct play towards Ba and the counter-attacking, quick strike ability of Ben Arfa and Cisse in the new year.

It was opposite this season. Anita and the new boys in January have helped keep us up, but none of them have really solidified themselves in the team. The younger players, excluding Bigirigmana, and unfortunately including Davide, have failed or regressed. The reserves have generally failed. Our style of play hasn't changed dramatically, imo, but we've somehow lost all cohesion going forward (making for boring, ineffective football) and all confidence at the back. I think Pardew has suffered a crisis of confidence. He's looked beaten down in his interviews and scared when things go wrong on the pitch. It's the same expression Cabaye was sporting the final third of the season.

Look, I'm like most supporters on here. My patience ran out after the 3-0 defeat at Sunderland. The meekness of our performance in that environment was beyond inexcusable. If he had gone, I certainly wouldn't have protested. If it wasn't for the capital that he created last season, I would have been enraged that he remained after that or Liverpool. However, last season sticks in my mind. The man, for all his faults led us to the highest points tally we've had since Sir Bobby, in what I consider to be a stronger version of the Premiership and with a playing squad I think is inferior to one we had available this season. If Ashley trusts him and will genuinely support him financially in the market, which he has done with the exception of this summer, I'm be satisfied to see how things progress for the last few months of 2013 with this squad (e together for a season. If he fails again, let him go, the leash should be short. If he recovers his managerial form I appreciate the stability.

Yeah, it may happen. I think having the new lads made him more negative at times, particularly the idea of attacking full backs and wingers together when they weren't settled. It was reported that Sissoko playing no. 10 was a contingency and stuff, surely to protect something?

I'm willing to give Pardew another chance. I don't think it is a fair conclusion to say that last season's success was somehow lucky or the result of sheer talent and the vestiges of Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew. The two years are really mirror images of one another. Last season everything went better than you could really have hoped for. Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa just took to the team incredibly well and became leaders of the side, despite having half a year's experience in England between them. Young players like Krul and Santon blended in seamlessly. Rubbish reserves like Ryan Taylor, Williamson, and Guthrie, and Ameobi were able to hold things steady when we were inevitably struck by injuries and suspensions. We did play quite conservatively, but it worked because we were reasonably stout defensively, excluding Spurs, Norwich, and Fulham where it fell apart. We were also a consistent attacking threat through direct play towards Ba and the counter-attacking, quick strike ability of Ben Arfa and Cisse in the new year.

It was opposite this season. Anita and the new boys in January have helped keep us up, but none of them have really solidified themselves in the team. The younger players, excluding Bigirigmana, and unfortunately including Davide, have failed or regressed. The reserves have generally failed. Our style of play hasn't changed dramatically, imo, but we've somehow lost all cohesion going forward (making for boring, ineffective football) and all confidence at the back. I think Pardew has suffered a crisis of confidence. He's looked beaten down in his interviews and scared when things go wrong on the pitch. It's the same expression Cabaye was sporting the final third of the season.

Look, I'm like most supporters on here. My patience ran out after the 3-0 defeat at Sunderland. The meekness of our performance in that environment was beyond inexcusable. If he had gone, I certainly wouldn't have protested. If it wasn't for the capital that he created last season, I would have been enraged that he remained after that or Liverpool. However, last season sticks in my mind. The man, for all his faults led us to the highest points tally we've had since Sir Bobby, in what I consider to be a stronger version of the Premiership and with a playing squad I think is inferior to one we had available this season. If Ashley trusts him and will genuinely support him financially in the market, which he has done with the exception of this summer, I'm be satisfied to see how things progress for the last few months of 2013 with this squad (e together for a season. If he fails again, let him go, the leash should be short. If he recovers his managerial form I appreciate the stability.

:thup: Fantastic post - can't see anything to disagree with there at all.

Guest neesy111

Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew.

That is an absolute load of tosh.

Guest bimpy474

Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew.

I was about to post the same.

He's not going to ditch his principles overnight. You would hope that he's learned a lot of lessons from this season though but his track record of learning from his mistakes is hardly impressive...

Did you get abused by your significant other?

Guest neesy111

I was about to post the same.

Even the stats say we played the most long balls in the league, never mind what I saw in front of my eyes.

Part 2 of the season review...

Moyes has trouble at man utd

7th/8th best place team at the minute

If we stand still we're going backwards because every other club has extra funds

Trying to threaten liverpool/everton

Our fullbacks attacking have cost us goals

Debuchy can get 2 or 3 goals next year

Santon has grown as a man

Need more dominance at CB

You need a 6 foot 4 to head it in in this division

Set plays to blame for our low scoring wins

Every loaned player could go back out next year

Campbell knocking on the door, big year next year

Not targeting any particular market this summer

CB being targeted due to Colo

Already identified who he wants for next season

We weren't in for RVP

I'd at least see the logic of all the long ball if we were knocking the goals in all the time through it  :lol: Expecting pardew to fix the obvious problem's isn't going to happen, he just sees bad luck and the europa league for why williamson didn't score 20 goals

Guest neesy111

If we stand still we're going backwards because every other club has extra funds

:lol:

That is fucking unbelievable.

We weren't in for RVP

:lol: